Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the link.

http://mitocorp.com/homelink_visor.htm
Old 10-17-2004, 08:31 PM
pazzo
2nd Gear

vuong1, You can buy a used visor or overhead console with Homelink on ebay and easily pull the Homelink out of it (I got a visor for $30 that came off of a Ford Explorer). I don't think it would fit in our tiny visors. I just stuck it to the manual holder under the steering column and tapped into the heated seats fuse (position A6) for switched power so it only operates with the key in the ignition. I used a screw under the dash to ground it. Not nearly as slick as the mirror or visor install, but a lot cheaper. I have to get fairly close to our remote gate that uses a Linear Multicode remote, but it works from the edge of the driveway for the garage doors.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:31 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a stock porsche switch and put it in one of the dummy holes on the horseshoe I used a universal transmitter and soldered the wires to it and put spades on the other end. Easy as pie and I just push the switch- no fuss no muss
Old 10-18-2004, 10:08 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Any chance the auto dimming 997 mirror would work in the 996, assuming you can get the power?
Old 10-18-2004, 02:38 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is an auto dimming mirror for the 996 check on carnewal-
Old 10-18-2004, 02:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

but no homelink....
Old 11-11-2004, 12:11 AM
samminnella
Intermediate

Default Not as easy as I thought / led to belive.

Bad news, I may abort the HomeLink mirror project. I'm very reluctant to try and remove the stock Porsche "Button" that the stock mirror attaches to. One glass shop told me it cannot be done, not sure I belive that.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by samminnella
Bad news, I may abort the HomeLink mirror project. I'm very reluctant to try and remove the stock Porsche "Button" that the stock mirror attaches to. One glass shop told me it cannot be done, not sure I belive that.
Most of my experience with upgrading to self dimming mirrors is with BMW's. In the cars that didn't have a BMW mirror solution, the Mito mirror was attractive but the windshield buttons were different. Several people tried removing the buttons from their BMW windshields but were unsuccessful without ruining the glass.

I haven't seen the attachment method on my 996 because it came with self-dimming, and rain sensor. If the Porsche attaches like the BMW by using a twist type of adaptor, check out this web site. http://www.z3mirrors.com/ This guy designed an adaptor that many Z3 owners have purchased to adapt different mirrors to BMW's.

Hope this helps.
Dwayne
Old 11-18-2004, 06:54 PM
samminnella
Intermediate

Well finally got this project finished. I took an extreem approach to getting the mirror mounted and it turned out extreemly well. I decided to modify the HomeLink mirror to accept the stock Porsche mirror mount.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

pics?
Old 11-18-2004, 08:48 PM
samminnella
Intermediate

Pics
Attached Images   
Old 11-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Great job Samminnella, your a few steps ahead of me. Both of my mirrors are apart. If you have installed it already, at what points did you pick up the power? Did you use both the switched and uswitched power source as outlined in the instructions? Thanks for the pics and info. This is my weekend project.

Also how do you remove the overhead counsole without breaking anything?

Last edited by Big6Dad; 11-19-2004 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Add a question
Old 11-19-2004, 11:05 PM
samminnella
Intermediate

Hey Big6Dad,

I spliced into the domelight power lead.
black/red switched
brown ground

This switched power works a little differently than I expected. Power turns on when car is unlocked or door is opened. Power turns off when doors are locked or after about 15 min if you leave doors unlocked.

I hooked both the yellow and red to the switched domelight wire (black/red) and black to the domelight ground wire.(Solid brown) I didn't bother with the green wires which hook to reverse lights since I did not want to run the wire and I never use a mirror when reversing anyways.

I've been using the mirror for the close to a week and have found no problem with not using constant power. The constant(red) powers the homelink and switched(yellow)powers the auto-dim.

You don't really have to remove the overhead console to hook up to the dome light but it would be easier. I would try without but here is how it comes out.

1 Remove domelight you can do this with yor fingers. Front of domelight comes out first.
2. Popout 2 plastic eyes with micro flathead scredriver. There is a philips screw behind each of them.
3.The rear of the upper console is just clipped in you can pop it off with your fingers.
3.You can unhook both harnesses to get console out of the way.

Last edited by samminnella; 11-20-2004 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:43 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
but no homelink....

Hey, don't know if yer interested but check out Kirby's 996 site on rennlist . He walks you through (with pictures) on how to install the home link (garage door openers) in the switch locations by the ash tray. Really nice install and simple too!

Old 11-20-2004, 02:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Double...thanks, I already looked into it and the only problem is that I can't find a gloss switch. Seems that everywhere I call only stocks the matte version (my switches are all gloss and it would clash). So right now I do it the old fashioned way.......clicker clips onto the passenger side visor.

Quick Reply: HomeLink Mirror