Sponsored by:

2 BLOWN ENGINES & $37,000+ in REPAIRS in LESS THAN 1000 MILES on my 99 996

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 03:01 AM
rhodyrandy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI....

Car Fax does not pick up squat...I had a brand new car that my wife wrecked a few times and when we went to sell it I did a Car Fax on it...Nothing showed up...
Old 10-09-2004, 12:52 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil McGrath
I bought a pair of Levis a few months ago....over the course of a few months I gained some weight!!!!.....the jeans no longer fit.....Do you thing I should sue LEvi strauss....I mean they sold me a pair of jeans.....
DAMN, Phil! I have 5 pair in my closet... and none of 'em fit. Have your guys call my guys...

"This should not happen with a 5 year old vehicle with 50,000 miles, regardless
of how it was treated by it's previous owner..."

Are you kidding? Forget oil changes. Forget changing filters and checking for coolant leaks. Forget spark plugs and low-quality fuel. Forget routine maintenance and the quality tech spec that picks up the early dreaded RMS. Maintenance is key to the success of any vehicle.

On a more serious note, Bob, if your story is truly credible, then I am sorry to hear about your long, frustrating Porsche journey. A used car is just that... a used car. If it was previously owned by your best friend with immaculate service records, then your post would probably never exist. However, you chose a 48K mile '99 from a Ford dealer as your first P-car. Then, after the fact, you go to the local dealer and pull the service history and find that it had been in the shop 47 times. After 20+ cars including "semi-exotics", perhaps you should have done a little more homework or even purchased a different vehicle with a certified warranty.

Why would you continue to dump tens of thousands of dollars into a blackhole? Every mark has lemons. Heck, my first Benz was a nightmare. It's too bad your car didn't burn down to the ground the first time. You could be sitting pretty in another 996 or even a 997. Cut your losses and move on...

Cheers
Old 10-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a lawyer at least to sort out your rights. Whatever the outcome might be - get rid of the darn thing. Next time you buy a car, don't buy with the heart, but think twice after doing proper homework first.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:26 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thats a ****ty situation and I feel bad for you, but here are a few pointers, advice etc from me, I have worked at the dealer for a long while so you can take it for what its worth on any one line.

A PPI wouldnt have indicated any of the problems you experianced, just to let you know the general condition and care of the car and if its had any accident

I confirm carfax tells you absolutly nothing of real importance.

Getting a lawyer will do nothing in this case as the car is out of warranty by time and lemon law doesn't apply

$39K for a 99 996 isn't a red flag, they dont hold thier value especially when aftermarket stuff is installed like alarms, radar detectors, body kits, wheel (cheap ones anyway) etc.

You chose to go with a wrecking yard motor and not a new one. No porsche wont take back a non rebuildable core but neither does any manufacture. Thats why you have to pay the CORE CHARGE for them to locate another rebuildable one.

these cars have motor problems, not all of them but most all of them. Some I see with high milage and no problems, others have engines at 3000 miles. there really is no giveaway or indication, its just luck of the draw.

Get an extended warranty, and get a GOOD one as I have seen some real messes with lesser know companies where a car (a couple for that matter) have been traded in to us while laying in pieces in the shop because the extended warranty company doesnt want to pay for a new motor, wont call us back for weeks (i had a 996 sit for 1 1/2 months for an OK for a motor) or wont cover it at all.

If you cant get an extended warranty, get rid of the car if you cant afford it such exspensive repairs and buy a honda (I see alot of guys who buy a Porsche because they can squeeze the payment but give no thought to the possible repairs of the beast)

Porsche will not help you as 1) you didnt buy it from an authorized dealer 2) you arent the original owner 3) the last motor was a wrecking yard motor (i wont even install these for this very reason)

A new motor comes with a 2 year 24K mile guarantee good at any dealer accross the country

your already in it this deep so just keep the damn thing with a new motor, or if it still really bugs you and you cant get the bitter taste out of your mouth, go backwards (forward in my book) and get a 993. Not to say the 996 isnt a nice car, just that after 35 years of 911 development and finally getting it right, they completely change horses in the middle of the race.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

This is a hoax. No way this guy has this kind of luck and then spends this kind of $$ on the car. This guy is just "F"ing with is board. Go away Bobporsche996.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:47 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

fixnprsh
When you say they have motor problems, do you mean problems other than RMS problems?

Thanks

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
these cars have motor problems, not all of them but most all of them. Some I see with high milage and no problems, others have engines at 3000 miles. there really is no giveaway or indication, its just luck of the draw.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:45 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

It might be B.S., but, then again its totaly in the range of possibility.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:22 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
DAMN, Phil! I have 5 pair in my closet... and none of 'em fit. Have your guys call my guys...

"This should not happen with a 5 year old vehicle with 50,000 miles, regardless
of how it was treated by it's previous owner..."

Are you kidding? Forget oil changes. Forget changing filters and checking for coolant leaks. Forget spark plugs and low-quality fuel. Forget routine maintenance and the quality tech spec that picks up the early dreaded RMS. Maintenance is key to the success of any vehicle.

On a more serious note, Bob, if your story is truly credible, then I am sorry to hear about your long, frustrating Porsche journey. A used car is just that... a used car. If it was previously owned by your best friend with immaculate service records, then your post would probably never exist. However, you chose a 48K mile '99 from a Ford dealer as your first P-car. Then, after the fact, you go to the local dealer and pull the service history and find that it had been in the shop 47 times. After 20+ cars including "semi-exotics", perhaps you should have done a little more homework or even purchased a different vehicle with a certified warranty.

Why would you continue to dump tens of thousands of dollars into a blackhole? Every mark has lemons. Heck, my first Benz was a nightmare. It's too bad your car didn't burn down to the ground the first time. You could be sitting pretty in another 996 or even a 997. Cut your losses and move on...

Cheers
Well I hope your happy.....I am gonna sue you!.. you called me fat!
On another note......what size are those levis?.....
I justs don't see this alleged "poster" being real. No one in there right freaking ......mind would drop 37k into repairs!.......If so.......I've got some really really good property.....postive cash flow, ocean front...and almost cheap.....!!!best of all its.......for sale......step right up.....don't be shy.......you will not believe your eyes!!!
Old 10-10-2004, 02:27 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lexpilot
By the way a 996 is infinitely superior to a 993. A much more usable car besides being faster.
Yes, the 996 does do everything better as its slightly lighter, much stiffer (coupe) and faster. Just not nearly as reliable and lacks the ability to retain resale value compared to any year 993.
Then again, the 993 is the result of 30 years of evolution where the 996 was Porsche's attempt to maximize profit. So it may not be fair to compare the two models as their M.O.'s differ.

Originally Posted by lexpilot
The 993 guys go on and on about the handbuilt 993 and so forth but the truth is it's an old design that needed to be retired.
I guess thats why the 997 has returned back to the styling cues of the 993

At times, I think it would be nice to own a 996 variant since it is more modern etc. Its reliability record is what scares me away. FWIW
Old 10-10-2004, 03:00 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

The 993 was a very good car, some would say the pinicle of 911 development. The 993 is better in some aspects the the 996 and vise-versa but personaly there is nothing the 996 does so much better that I would chose to deal with its "issues" to own one. 993's have been very trouble free and when I see them its for maintaince and valve cover gaskets.
Thats a far cry from RMS, coolant bottles, MAF's, motors, air bag light, etc, etc, that plague the 996 and my guess the 997 as well. The already dwindling resale has now been made worse with the release of the 997.
I see 10 years from now a 996 parked on a used car lot in a shady downtown area parked between a 2001 chevy truck and a 2003 civic with $13999 on the windshield in bright green numbers as was the fate of the 928. Its unfortunate as it is a damn nice car. I wonder if I could swap in an air cooled 3.6 out of a 993? Hmmmm, project car for Photoshop.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:22 AM
solsrch
Pro

Don't want to create a 993 vs 996 thread out of what may be a very real posting but I have to agree that 39K is not a flag. When my last Porsche was totalled by a VERY careless driver, I was P-car less for about 6 months. About half of that was spent deciding what model to move into. With the off-lease cars available, a '99 would have been an easy catch for what I paid for my car, but with the exception of the secondary air system gremlin, the 993 series really seems to have it together. I would just offer, don't give up on the marque just because you bought a used car from the first year's production of a major change (water cooled) after 35 years of development and it is an immense problem. Maybe a different model would be a better answer. That and best of luck with whatever path you take to resolving this mess.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:52 AM
munro86
Racer

MORON
Old 10-10-2004, 10:18 AM
jjtarnow
Track Day

Default Response

I feel for you..sounds like a horrible experience that I wouldn't want to have to go through. As for the people giving you **** for having your first post a flame I would tell those guys to lighten up. I don't think it's any member's business to tell another member what is acceptable on this board. He is looking for guidance (sure he made some missteps) and those that can help him should..those that have nothing constructive to say should stay quiet.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:38 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repairs

For all that seem to not believe me that I have spent that much on this vehicle, how much should 2 engine replacements cost, both with cracked heads, making the engine core not returnable and add another $8,000 in repair costs, and how can this figure not seem reasonable?

Right now as said i'm on my second blown engine in 1000 miles of having it, and that's why i'm so upset about it all... Looking at the service history, yes it had an abundance of problems, BUT the previous owners did the best they could to take care of the car to the best they could while it was in warranty, and did everything apparently as indicated in the porsche service guide in relation to service at authorized porsche dealers.

If anyone lives in the Seattle area, feel free to contact me and i'll give you the porsche repair shop the car is at, and the owner of it himself, will indeed verify everything I say is true...

Being called a moron is not appreciated, and to go away, is very ignorant and/or a very fortune 996 owner who hasn't encountered any problems as of yet.. and why someone would say such a thing is rude and immature, as most of you know, what I say has happened to many people, just not all at once in such a short time period.

As said, I expected to drive this car 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year... so I never really looked into having such a nightmare on my hands..

The service history indicates the previous owners brought the car in for all scheduled maintenance at authorized porsche dealers, the car appeared completely stock with no modifications when purchased, and there was no reason for me to believe that this vehicle would be a total nightmare that it is..

While many tell me to sell the vehicle and get out of it as soon as I can... i've already put a fortune into it exterior wise, and essentially every mechnical part is relatively new... so it's a catch 22 situation... I know if I did keep it, an extended warranty would be mandatory... I just don't know if I want to deal with the hassle of having the damn thing break down on me every 100 or 200 miles..

In terms of my thoughts about porsche, it's not necesarilly the vehicle, or the driving experience which I feel is bad.. I love driving this vehicle and it's been the most enjoyable car to drive i've ever had... (in the rare instances it hasn't been in the shop) but service at porsche, speaks for itself.. and they've already told me all I need to know about this car company...

since I didn't want to pay $15k more for the vehicle from a "porsche" dealer for a car with less options, or pay $150 an hour for service, comparable to how much a lawyer makes.. which is ridiculous ($135hr + Tax) and labor and 50% more for parts when I can get them at near cost and work done at 2/3 that price at an independant porsche repair shop, porsche wants nothing to do with me... and their customer satisfaction speaks it all... "pay twice as much at an authorized porsche dealer, or we don't care about you or your problems" is their motto it appears.

Having owned many mercedes and bmws, even at extremely high mileage, I have found them to be very accomodating, reliable, and understandable of all situations... the only thing porsche will do, is deny the fact that they have created a faulty product, and make me pay ridiculous sums at their overpriced dealers for their overpriced parts as it is, to correct the flaws that they dont' admit even exist, when they clearly know they f**ked up, to be blunt..

in terms of buying a honda instead of a porsche, the money isn't the situation, I can afford the repairs, but I also do not like to throw money down the drain. Even if you made millions a year, would you like to spend $37,000 a month on a vehicle in maintenance costs? Put yourself in my shoes.. this is a fourth vehicle, and simply a convertible toy for the summer season, I found no reason to purchase a new one at the time with a warranty for 2k to 3k of miles of driving... when this would depreciate at much less than a a new 04 with all the options and tax, which would cost 3 times as much as I paid, for essentially the same vehicle..

the company that represents the product purchased, speaks all I need to know about them, and that is why I will most likely never be another future porsche owner again.. I refuse to support a company that acts in such a manner towards owners of their product. If they expect future business from me, I would atleast expect some assistance, other than "Write a letter".

well.. onto my third engine on monday... wish me luck...

Last edited by bobporsche996; 10-10-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Yep, I knew it. Nothing but a troll. Last post proves it. No one in their right mind would do what this guy claims to be doing.

Wait a minute. Maybe he isn't in his right mind.

Quick Reply: 2 BLOWN ENGINES & $37,000+ in REPAIRS in LESS THAN 1000 MILES on my 99 996