Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ever get a ticket because you were driving a porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 02:16 AM
ajc8888
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ever get a ticket because you were driving a porsche?

today I was driving in the far right lane of the freeway, and when a new lane (an onramp from a merge with another freeway) started, I changed into that lane (to the right) because there were fewer cars there. In doing so, I crossed the solid white line that becomes the broken white line for that lane (the lane stays, and becomes an additional lane). I was surpised to be pulled over for crossing over the solid white line. The cop said that I had driven over the last ten feet of solid line. It wasn't even a double line! The kicker is that people ahead of me and behind me did the same, but guess who got pulled over? the cop was very smug, too, which I am sure was intentional, and jealousy driven. guess I have to sit thru 8 hours of traffic school soon! then, when I told my wife about it, I had to listen to her tell me how I can't complain about her driving (the worst) because she hasn't had a ticket in years. I believe I got this one because of my car. very annoying...
Old 10-07-2004, 02:48 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Should have told the cop he was lucky you didn't make him actually have to work and chase you!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 04:06 AM
Jan_M
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar things have happenned to me a few times. Sometimes the officer is cool and says "Nice car, drive safely and within the law". Sometimes he is less cool and keeps me for 30 mn checking out all paperwork.

BUT, those stops are still OK because I'd rather be stopped for a "little" thing than pulled over when "forgetting" speed limits. So far I have been lucky. Knock on wood.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:22 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

A while back I was pacing traffic with my 964 then all of a sudden I see this big headed driver(undercover cop ) next to me telling me to pull over. I told him that I was not speeding and was going with the flow of traffic(65 in a 55) and to my surprise he admitted that I was but gave me a ticket anyways. Went to court and the big headed guy had pulled over atleast 50+ people while other cops went up to the stand for no more than 15 minutes, this guy was up there for over 2 hours. Told the judge what happened and he said that if I was going with the pace of traffic then I was speeding . Its a conspiracy, they're are all in the same gang!!! The big headed loser pulled people over for the most ridiculous reasons. I could see that he was an *sshole cop and that his karma will unfold before him ten folds in the near future.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:53 AM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

I got pulled over last week ( see earlier post ) and got off a major speeding because I WAS driving a Porsche...had only gotten it hours earlier and the policeman was very cool...haha...sometimes works in your favour...Another example is I don't run with a front plate, wrecks the lines of the car...never had a problem..they understand ( so far )
Old 10-07-2004, 11:46 AM
jb26jb
Racer

Default Crossing solid white line

In New York there is no statute that prohibits crossing a solid white line. I would have a lawyer take a look for you, the ticket sounds like bull.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Lomcevak
Instructor

He's in California, not New York. Out here the solid white line that he describes (freeway on ramp) is unlawful to cross over.

Unlike ajc8888's situation, what I see happen the most is a string of cars come down the ramp, and some impatient guy toward the rear blasts over the solid line to pass those ahead of him rather than just merge in place. It saves tons of time - maybe ten seconds or so.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:50 PM
GNALUZU
Advanced

In Arizona it is a big no no to cross the solid white line (know as the gore point). We had a motorcycle cop get killed, while assisting a car in the gore point, a few years back. Now days, if they see you doing this you will most likely get pulled over and ticketed.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:16 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont own a porsche yet but....
When I had my eclipse gsx that I used for autocross (very loud car) I got pulled over going 90 in a 65. Funnier was that I had recently changed my title so my plates did not even match the name on the registration. Cop came over and told me he loved my car and was then proceeded to ask me a bunch of questions about it. He left me with a "try to take it slower"
Then a year later when I had my Cobra Convertible I was driving back to chicago and I was pacing a gold colored camaro at about 100 the whole way through Indiana. As we passed Gary the car suddenly flipped on lights (undercover cop) pulled a lane over hit the brakes and came up next to me and yelled "Slow the F### down" I got startled but that was all he did.
Now that I live in Boulder and drive a stupid SUV Ive been pulled over 2 times and been written tickets on both occasions - once bc I was going 5mph over bc I had a bloody nose and was tending to that, and once for making an illegal right on red at 3am with no cars out anywhere - except the hidden copper.
The point here is that having a nice car is a doulbe edged sword. Some cops are nicer to you bc of it and some are plain mean about it. But when you get down to it theres no substitute for a nice car - and driving an SUV always suck

Good luck - and I think think you should fight this case in court,

Jeff
Old 10-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ajc8888
guess I have to sit thru 8 hours of traffic school soon!
In some states you only get that chance once every three years. Common logic is not to burn that chip until you really need it. This sounds like a minor violation. Spend a few bills on a good attorney who fights traffic tickets, and let him beg the judge for a reduced or non violation. Use traffic school for more severe violations that will cost you points, big money or your license.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-07-2004, 11:41 PM
itradem
Instructor

Not Illegal in Illinois either...
Old 10-08-2004, 01:06 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

As some people have mentioned its illegal to drive over the gore points in certain states. Since he gave you a ticket, its probably illegal in your state.

Its illegal in my state (AZ) and I always make sure to never cross it because last time I was in traffic school 3 people were there for that ticket.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:17 AM
Moogle
Race Car

in my state (connecticut) you can goto traffic school as many times as you want and if you go every time you get a moving violation, you never get points. (4 hours) hell yea.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:31 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

I got pulled over at least twice because of my car. The first time I can remember, I was in the right lane with the cruise set on 69 on a 65 mph highway. I had just gotten off a red eye from Seattle to Boston and hadn't slept in 2 days (I had an excited 4 year old with me). There was a semi in the right lane going up a hill, with a minivan behind it that pulled out into the middle lane as the semi slowed. Both were going well under 70, so I pulled out into the left lane to go around them. I see a trooper about a half mile back floor it and come up, and I stupidly tapped the brake pedal and pulled into the middle lane as I passed the minivan. Hitting the brakes was stupid, I should just have shut off the cruise, but I was tired and not thinking well! The trooper comes up behind me and pulls me over. I ask him what for and he says "I've been following you for quite a while. You were doing 80-85." I start protesting and he goes back to his car. I continue protesting when he comes back and now he says angrily "You were doing at least 85-90. I only wrote the ticket for 80." I was only on the highway for a couple of miles, so he couldn't have been following me for "quite a while". Plus he didn't even have a good estimate of how fast I was going! As he started telling me their standard crap about how to send it in I just talked over him and said to give me the &$^#@ ticket over and over again until he gave up and walked away.

The second time I remember, I got pulled over earlier this year by a trooper after I passed him on the highway at night. It was a 4 lane highway with a 65 speed limit that turns to 55 when you get close to Boston, and he was driving along slowly in the right lane between a couple of semi's. I drive it all the time and I know where the speed limit changes. I had to swerve shortly before I passed him because a dump truck came into my lane. He pulls me over and asks me how fast I was going, and I said "65" (I was honestly going 65-70, I was getting off in a second). He said the speed limit was 55. I just so happened to have pulled over about 100 feet before it changed, so I just pointed at the sign. He looked up, got embarrassed, and started saying stuff about me swerving in and out of traffic. I told him the truck cut me off and he keeps on going on about how even a Porsche can flip over blah blah blah, then he walked away.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A few months back PeterC4C got a ticket for "street racing" even though he was not, and had his car impounded.
Our cars are fast, nice, and expensive. People get jealous.

Quick Reply: ever get a ticket because you were driving a porsche?