Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ever get a ticket because you were driving a porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 03:23 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a ticket a couple of weeks ago, speeding 45 in a 35, my radar never went off or I couldn't hear it. I think he saw the car and heard the PSE. Get a good traffic lawyer, the whole system is a scam.

Last edited by DJ 996; 10-08-2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:23 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ajc8888, since the officer that pulled you over was in court with 50+ other defendants he pulled over, I would say you got a ticket because of the officer not the car, unless they all drove Porsches or other higher end cars.

I think many times people who drive higher end cars think they are getting picked on because of the car but in reality it may be because the police notice the car more easily. This rule also applies to the other spectrum of vehicles, with crappy vehicles getting pulled over just as much. Vehicles that stick out from the others get noticed.

Porsches have a distinct look they get noticed. Similar to color choices, where "look at me colors" like yellows abd reds just stand out in the crowd of silvers, beige and blacks.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:30 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Saw a guy at the BMW dealership awhile back in a nice, debadged black 911. Was told he owns many nice cars and he got the license plate NOTSTOLN on his Porsche as he had apparently gotten tired of being pulled over for DWB.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:45 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

My wife got pulled over when she was only about 4mph over the 40mpg limit. She played the "It's my husbands car - I normally drive a mini-van" line and the cop let her off (advantage of being a blonde I guess). I don't believe she would have been stopped were it not for the car. Didn't help that she had the PSE on loud mode

Regarding all the 'advice' that the police give after they have pulled you over I think there should be a simple rule - You can give me a ticket or you can feed me your 'speed kills/Small cars are not safe/etc.' crap, but not both!

Barry
Old 10-09-2004, 12:51 PM
DJD
Instructor

Just last week I was on the 5 fwy in CA, going about 70-75 with the flow of traffic, a CHP car sneaks up on me and pulls right next to me and say over his PA system, " hey nice car, go as fast as you want" and speed off it. I saw him pull over a Honda a few miles later.. Guess he was a P-Car fan.. I sure got a laugh out of it.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJD
Just last week I was on the 5 fwy in CA, going about 70-75 with the flow of traffic, a CHP car sneaks up on me and pulls right next to me and say over his PA system, " hey nice car, go as fast as you want" and speed off it. I saw him pull over a Honda a few miles later.. Guess he was a P-Car fan.. I sure got a laugh out of it.
I would have taken advantage of that for a nice 100mph+ run.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:14 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Vove is correct. Cop's gonna get bad karma.

Listen to this story: (some have already heard it.) I'm driving my 911E in Hawaii. Cop comes out of nowhere and pulls me over. I get out of the car and walk back to his car to have a word with him. You can do that in Hawaii, not in California unless you want to get shot or go to jail. So I ask him some questions. like when he first saw me, how far he followed me, what lane, etc. He says as he looks me in the eye: "Well, I didn't see you, I heard you go by and knew it was a Porsche, and all Porsches speed, so I chased you and stopped you." I bit my lip. Then we talked some more and he discovered that I was a local haole, not a mainlander, and had lived their much of my life. He said, hey its OK then....just go to court and I won't identify you. Have a nice day. In court he made good on his word and said he couldn't identify me. On the way out he said hello. Gee, what a nice guy, huh??

If you have a moving violation, particularly speeding, (which by the way is not a violation. Think about it. No such thing. Only exceeding the posted speed limit, and in a basic speed law state, excessive speed), contact National Motorists Assn. and ask for a traffic activist. Or email me. 97% don't fight their citations, but if they did, the system would fall apart. But then everyone knew that.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:33 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron_H
He says as he looks me in the eye: "Well, I didn't see you, I heard you go by and knew it was a Porsche, and all Porsches speed, so I chased you and stopped you." ...Then we talked some more and he discovered that I was a local haole, not a mainlander, and had lived their much of my life. He said, hey its OK then....just go to court and I won't identify you. Have a nice day. In court he made good on his word and said he couldn't identify me. On the way out he said hello. Gee, what a nice guy, huh??
Was that tongue in cheek? A real 'nice guy' would not have stopped you on such a bogus charge in the first place!
Old 10-10-2004, 06:41 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Cool

Slightly off-topic here but I thought this was worth sharing…

Years ago my business partner (Richard) was pulled over one snowy evening in St. Albans in the U.K. He was only going around the block so he had not dressed for standing around in the cold, however the police asked him to step out of the car and then proceeded to question him. After about 10 minutes he asked whether there was a point to this as, if not, then he was getting back in his car and leaving (he was pretty cold by now). The policeman told him “If you drive away I will do you for driving without due car and attention”.

Richard asked the second cop (who had a notepad and was apparently writing everything down) whether he had written that down. He said he had but when pressed to see it he then put it in the book.

Richard then left but, fortunately, being a savvy sort, he drove around the block a couple of times and then returned to the scene and took photos. Later he received a summons which stated that he rear wheels had gone over the curb when he turned the corner. In court the notebook had mysteriously gone missing (the books and pages are numbered) and he used the photos and some diagrams to prove that:
a) from where they said they were sitting they could not see the corner;
b) that there were no snow tracks going over the curb;

The judge threw the case out and then took Richard to one side saying “I suggest you try to avoid driving in St. Albans for a while” – tricky since he lived there!

He sold the car almost immediately – I truly pitied the poor kid that bought it (the number plates stay with the car in the U.K.)
Old 10-10-2004, 07:08 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I dont think it has anything to do with the P-car. I drive several all day long and I never get hassled, I also drive a very loud and fast Volkswagen that sticks out like a sore thumb and I dont get hassled in that. I have gotten tickets for breaking the law though such as speeding. Imagine that.

The one that really pissed me off is when I got a "noise Polution" ticket in my truck for my stereo being too loud that cost me $145! that is just wrong on so many levels
Old 10-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it was sarcastically intended, though there was not much room for humor at the time. I suppose it was like the gratitude one would have if they had been able to bribe their way out of trouble with the police, but being filled with resentment and rancor toward a system that allows abuses of power.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:25 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Face it, some cops are just asses, and they give the rest of their dedicated, hard working fellow officers a bad name, you get treated like ****, dont get thanked often enough for risking your life, and get payed next to nothing for it untill your a desk sargent. So you can see how easily some can become jaded. Its a job few people want, so I usually give them the benifit of the doubt and are nice to them as should as they are a better man than I.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Bauer
Advanced

Cops in my town only have to patrol 4 sqaure miles of land...And most get paid well above 50K. With OT, I know a guy who got paid 160K last year. Not too bad. On the same note, most troopers top at 40K, and I believe the guys in NYC top at 40K as well in most cases.

I have to admit, most ae on power trips and will get you for the most petty infractions. In my area at least.

Quick Reply: ever get a ticket because you were driving a porsche?