996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Can't open trunk,dead battery . Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 03:14 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an emergency cable release hidden behind the passenger side headlight (you might have seen it if you've ever had your headlight assembly out). Its a very thin braided steel cable. If you look in between your headlight and the body, as far towards the center of the car as you can you might be able to see the cable and fish it out to release the trunk latch.

You'll have to look in there with a flashlight, its a PITA.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:23 PM
a911driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aha, this happened to me. You can jump it on the engine. There is a positive post there and you can get the car enough power to release the trunk. Porsche Roadside assist didn't even know about it.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:20 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The engine compartment is also electronically controlled so you cant get to it with a dead battery. I was told the cable on the newer 996s is on the drivers side behind the fender skirts. The dealer said it will take over an hour to disasemble and find the cable and replace.

Best thing is to charge the battery via the cigarette lighter.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:53 PM
chitownbob
Racer

Happened to me about a year ago. Nobody had a clue what to do. Had to flatbed the car to the dealer until they figured out what to do. I tried to jump through the engine too but it didn't work. You might want to try and trickle charge the battery through those posts in the engine. Im not sure if a trickle charger will work but am not sure. After I got the car back, i removed the headlight and moved the emergency trunk release cable so i could access it from the side marker light.

Bobby
Old 10-13-2004, 04:54 PM
equ
Racer

I have seen the emergency release cable procedure detailed with some pictures here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2151

Do a search for more threads if necessary. It seemed ill-designed but you don't have many options.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:33 AM
C4FDR
Addict
Rennlist Member

I keep in my passenger side pocket a cigaret lighter to cigaret lighter device to connect to another car in the case that happens. Cambell Hausfield makes a combination Air Compressor / Power Supply that includes a connector to go into the cars cigaret lighter socket. I use this when disconnecting my battery, to keep from lossing the radio codes and settings. This will also give you power to pop the hood.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

I sent you a PM with the instructions, but ask that you don't post them--we don't want our trunks broken in to!
Old 10-18-2004, 03:29 PM
kooch
1st Gear

The same thing happened to me and I was able to open the trunk with the key fob but not with the switch on the door jam. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Can't open trunk,dead battery . Help!