996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone switch from a cab to a coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Anyone switch from a cab to a coupe?

For those of you that have owned a coupe and a cab, I would like to know what specific driving impressions you have between both versions. To be more specific, how does the coupe differ from the cab. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:14 PM
wknopf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my cab...

...was a 93 C4, so it is two, er, three generations old. But when I traded the C4 cab in on my first 996, a 2000 C4 millennium, I was stunned by how tight the car felt, with minimal body flex. Also, I think there were less creaks and groans from the chassis, but this was also subjective. On some days, like today, I wish I still had a soft top, but for the most part, I prefer the rigidity of the coupe. And I think if I ever tracked the car, I would feel even more strongly. Just one guy's subjective opinion, for what it's worth.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:08 AM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 02 Cab and an 01 Turbo. Never drive the Turbo, I bought it new in 01 and it has 2K miles on it. I drive the Cab all the time...

The 996 platform is very stiff, when I wanted to buy a Cab I drove a 993 Cab and 996 Cab back to back, there is a huge difference in stiffness. The 996 Coupe is stiffer but unless you are tracking the car, who cares...

Just my .02 worth...

Roy
Old 09-23-2004, 05:24 PM
SoonerE39
Instructor

Originally Posted by RWO
I have an 02 Cab and an 01 Turbo. Never drive the Turbo, I bought it new in 01 and it has 2K miles on it.
Roy
If you need to keep the Turbo warmed up, I'ld be willing to swing down to GA and drive it a month or two. Just trying to be helpful
Old 09-24-2004, 02:07 AM
ajc8888
Rennlist Member

I have not had a 996 cab but the 86 and 90 cabs I had both eventually leaked, and the 97 targa I had had squeaks and rattles that convinced me to go with the coupe this time.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:41 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Cab doesn't leak or rattle and is very tight. The old 993's are just that old.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:24 PM
DrPeter
Instructor

I was a cab lover until I had some problems with the mechanics and had to replace the top and the folding mechanism. Then I switched to the targa, which gave the same open air experience without the extra care that a cab roof needs. The targa did not look as cool from the outside, (i.e. jealous looks from passers by) but was the same experience from the inside. Since all all of these were 993's and based on a cab chassis, I cannot comment on the 996 targa. Now I drive a 996 coupe, which is a totally different driving experience. What I do notice is that there is a LOT less road noise. In the cab's you typically did not notice it from a day to day basis, but you notice when it is gone. Also the coupe has a much firmer platform and does not twist when going up awkward driveways. This equates to less squeeking noises from the chassis flexing. As a daily driver, cabs are really exciting in the begining when you take the top down every day, but near the end I only put the top down once every two months. Conversely, my first cab was a summer car and I lived where there were seasons. In this situation the cab was hands down a much more exciting vehicle despite any noise factor. Overall I do not miss the cab's, I am glad I had them in my youth, but now I appreciate only hearing my engine and not everyone elses. And I do not miss the maintenence/worry of a cloth top and plastic windows. Over all it is a much more pleasant daily driving experience.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I did drive a 997 yesterday and it drove great but after I got back in my 996 cab, I wasn't disappointed. Both cars are great.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

996 Cabs are a HUGE step above the "older" models.
I had a 964 C4 Cab, and now drive a 996 C4 Cab. The 996 is tighter, quieter, and stiffer, by a large margin.
I also drive with the top down 90% of the time (don't you just love CA) so a coupe is very unappealing to me.

Quick Reply: Anyone switch from a cab to a coupe?