Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: should porsche offer all 996 owners a 100,000 mi warranty because of the rms problem
yes
81.29%
no
18.71%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

should porsche offer a 100,000 mi warranty to 996 owners because of rms problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

It doesn't hurt to try and I do believe that Porsche is open to customer ideas and suggestions as is every company out there, unless they are too bureaucratic to an extent.... but who knows, great idea whoever started the thread though.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who shall organize the list? I think it's a great idea!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 08:56 PM
JAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing a quick search of the Porsche NA web page - they have a contact sight possibly worth writing to.

http://www3.porsche.com/english/usa/...ct/contact.asp
Old 09-28-2004, 09:07 AM
munro86
Racer

Andy,

Is that your wife!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:38 PM
perrys7342
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No!...Porsche should step up to their responsibility to owners and offer an entirely new normally aspirated engine with a block/crankshaft alignment characteristics of the Turbo and GT3 covered by full 100,000 mile (no time limit) warranty.

Unfortunately, this won't happen...Wendelin Wedekind is known as an "Engineer by Degree" who has firmly embraced the "Bean Counter" philosophy and been widely recognized and duly rewarded for his cost-cutting efforts at Porsche to return the company to profitibility. You can bet they have analyzed the RMS and other warranty claim expenses on the 996 and concluded it's better to offer replacement seals, even if they have to replace them all multiple times rather than solve the problem for the unsuspecting original owner body. The economics probably boil down to something like $2500 to $4000 expected warranty expense per vehicle over the factory warranty period compared to the total new engine recall replacement cost of $15-18,000. As long as the company remains profitable with the bottom line currently provided by the Cayenne, they can afford to wait out the last of the warranted 996's. Providing a replacement engine to warranted 996 owners perhaps could also impact sales on the 997 as long as the company's "sullied reputation" is not widely publicized. (They might want to hire Martha Stewart and Dan Rather as "Image" Consultants on this!!!)

As others have indicated before, anyone who owns a 996 after the warranty runs out or subsequent buyers might have the dubious distinction of owning the first "disposable" (like a throwaway camera) Porsche. It's hard to believe that there will be "passionate" owners of 996's in the year 2024 like those today who feel the 1978-1983 911 SC's are still a wonderful automobile. At some point rather than repair, it might be best to donate the car to Charity and write it off!!!

It's a sad position that would make Ferry Porsche roll over in his grave (until Herr Wedekind explained the economics of company survival!)...

Perry (42 Years of Porsche Ownership)
Old 09-29-2004, 01:22 AM
ribbonspeakers
Intermediate

If the tranny alignment was associated with RMS, would a Tiptronic minimize or eliminate the risk? Thanks all.
Jim R, N. CA
Old 09-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ribbonspeakers
If the tranny alignment was associated with RMS, would a Tiptronic minimize or eliminate the risk? Thanks all.
Jim R, N. CA
There are reports of RMS with tips....
Old 09-29-2004, 02:03 PM
eV23
3rd Gear

Just a quick chime in here from me - I'm a 99 C4 owner with RMS. Haven't done anything about it but am certainly interested in finding out possible warranty remedies from Porsche as well.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mabye the Stig could just keep posting!
The picture is pleasant on the eyes.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:10 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

As a formwer owner of an RMS challenged 996 (current 993 owner), I applaud your efforts.
When this topic appeared on other rennlist boards I referenced the RMS issue Motor Trend incurred with their long term 2003 4CS. Although few were interested, I found both the fact they had an RMS issue and their blase reaction to it, remarkable. BTW, the one year review appeared in the October 2004 issue, page 157.
Thanks
Jack
Old 10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
ribbonspeakers
Intermediate

This just ain't fair!!!!!!!!!!!! Here I am ready willing & able to jump in deep water for a 996 & now to find out there is some type of potential defect ruining the whole dream!

The flip side: I previously considered a late model M3 SMG coupe. I called a local private party advertising an '02 with 39k miles (kinda high). A guy answered & presented himself as the brother of the female owner. He seemed frank & friendly, a Ferrari owner/collector. We talked for twenty minutes, give or take. He said she decided not to deal with the hassles of a private sale so the dealer bought it back for $35k.

She bought it new. It had numerous (a dozen or more) niggling electrical/control problems, frequently causing a return visit after parts arrived. I wish high-performance autos had the reliability of race-replica street motorcycles generating 160bhp per liter, which are generally bulletproof. I guess the car's complex control & electrical systems increase the risk of failures. But this still just ain't fair!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 04:58 PM
ribbonspeakers
Intermediate

PS
Now we all know exactly why late 993s sell for the same as early 996s, in spite of the 996's increased refinement & performance. Wake up, Porsche! I wish I fit in the 993 & did not care about A/C.
Jim R.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:54 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, people on this forum are not representative of the 996 population. How many 996 owners are on this forum?..If your lucky 1% of them.
A sample size of 1% is no where near the amount needed to claim any level of staitistical significance - If you have something to the level of Statistically Significance (SS) it means that you can take that same issue and apply it to everyone with 19/20 accuracy.

The fact that people have "chimed" in here on this forum without knowing what a RMS leak is confuses the issue further. What I mean about that is that some cars have had their RMS changed and continue to have them changed when in fact it is not the RMS that is leaking but instead it is the Intermediate Seal.

If you have a RMS issue present it to your dealer, but throwing yourself into and hiding behind the "dirty laundry" of everyone on this particular string really doesn't help your case at all.

But you know what, by going through a lawyer, it is probably the only way some of you will get down to the root of the problem, ie weed out the misconceptions about this issue and stop believing in and adding to the rhetoric on here. But that will cost you money and the only ones winning is the lawyers. If I was a lawyer I might be right into this too...cause I know all of you are:

1. Pissed off
and 2. have money in your wallets.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:17 AM
eV23
3rd Gear

Default Hrm...

Originally Posted by RR
The fact that people have "chimed" in here on this forum without knowing what a RMS leak is confuses the issue further. What I mean about that is that some cars have had their RMS changed and continue to have them changed when in fact it is not the RMS that is leaking but instead it is the Intermediate Seal.
I'm always amused by postings from others who get upset at these types of discussions. Why does it matter so much to you that you feel you have to say we're overblowing it and why should people not pursue something if they think there is a problem? I just don't get it...

Quick Reply: should porsche offer a 100,000 mi warranty to 996 owners because of rms problems?