Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: should porsche offer all 996 owners a 100,000 mi warranty because of the rms problem
yes
81.29%
no
18.71%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

should porsche offer a 100,000 mi warranty to 996 owners because of rms problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 04:36 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pete-

AMEN!!
Old 09-25-2004, 04:44 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ignacio....

how stupid does Porsche think it's customers are??? it's called accountability... something that everybody tries to ignore and get away with

Can't blame the Porsche guys at the dealerships... they got mortgages to pay

but the new V8M3 is looking pretty good right about now...

for the same price as a 996/997 you can have the new M5 - Porsche!
Old 09-25-2004, 06:21 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

pete

complacency and arrogance are the downfall of all previously successful businesses. look at ibm,gm,etc...

i hope pag doesn't drive us away
Old 09-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ignacio,

Definitely!

Competition will close in... unless Porsche decides to drastically drop prices (and screw everybody's resale value - like BMW did with nte new M5) the only real refined alternative to the 996 is the M3 and it almost comes close in the handling department.... but almost isn't good enough for the Porsche driver... hence the unique qualities of the 911 that build loyalty...

The new 997 should have been a 3.8 litre motor standard.... the "S" for that money... that's some real value... but for now they can get away with it until the M3 closes in on the handling department... which sadly I don't think it can cause nothing drives like a Porsche...!
Old 09-25-2004, 08:14 PM
JAT
Racer

Berny,

That sounds like great news about the gearbox. Hope that ends up being the solution to RMS leaks.

Plans in the works for making a gear box change?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JAT
From what I read of others the turbo, the GT3, which have a engine block similar to the 993 - I think, do not have RMS leaks to the same volume due to a different engine design.
I don't think the GT3 block is like the 996 block. My understanding is that it is the Nikosil technology (nickel cylinders) vs Lokosil (silicone cylinders for 996).

Check me out.

" His model was to copy BMW. If Porsche really wants to be the next BMW, wants to be mainstream, they certainty need to be more customer responsive. "

Yeah, like free service and 100k miles warranty ala M3.........

Old 09-26-2004, 03:11 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

jat

i think your celebration regarding a gearbox solution is premature until pag officially announces that it will take responsibility for the rms leaks. have you priced a new porche gearbox lately?!
Old 09-26-2004, 09:37 AM
JAT
Racer

ignacio,

I'm afraid the problem is much worse than what we thought. The news that Bernie shares is very good. One of the maddening parts of this situation is that Porsche has not had a solution! Porsche has replaced seals, and replaced engines with out stopping the problem. Could it be that this whole mess has been caused by out of line / faulty gear boxes? Time will tell. I'm interested to see in the future if this solves others long running RMS issues. Fingers crossed that this is the answer.

I'm going to go out on the limb and say that replacing a gear boxes is less expensive than putting in a new engine. There must be a point where a new gearbox would be cheaper than replacing multiple RMS. Don't get me wrong, I like Porsche, but have the opinion that I'm probably more willing to criticize Porsche than others on this board. If new gearboxes are the solution then I think the word IDIOTs would be appropriate for Porsche. How hard would it have been for Porsche’s quality control department to figure out the real cause of this problem? How much money has Porsche spent on a non-existent fix. How much customer time has Porsche wasted?

I'm on your team for having Porsche extend the warranty on the RMS issue. As c70Pete put it Porsche needs to be held accountable. A new gearbox is expensive. Unfortunately keep in mind when dealing with Porsche you might be dealing with stooges.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well before we all jump to conclusions, remember this is only "hearsay" from an OPC engineer. What he said is indeed interesting, even believable, but it may be none more than his own synopsis and as you say, I think PAG would have done the research to find the real answer to the problem. Since they have produced multiple types of seals, even a TSB to tighten the block bolts, it doesn't look like they have visualised the problem being the gearbox. I mentioned it here because I thought it was
an interesting hypothesis but only PAG know the real cause......and they dare not disclose what that
is for obvious reasons.

One thing I would like to know is if anyone (Tool Pants?) knows if there is in fact an alignment
procedure used when replacing the gearbox. If so, I would like to know more as my car is
about to go in yet again for another RMS......and a new gearbox....so I want to ensure it is
put in and aligned correctly by the OPC.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:08 PM
jjtarnow
Track Day

Default Will 997 have the same RMS problem?

Does anyone have a clue regarding this problem bleeding over to the 997? Is the new design so different that they absolutely will not have the same RMS problem?
Old 09-27-2004, 01:17 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 997 uses the seal used in the Cayenne.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
The 997 uses the seal used in the Cayenne.
That may be true. However, it's probably not the actual seal that's failing - it's something outside the seal (engine/trans alignment?) Additionally, one is a Boxer engine - the other a V8. Mounts are different as well bearing stresses on the engine/trans joint. If there is a TSB for motor mounts; an engineer at PAG probably thinks, that might be a contributing factor
Old 09-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't have a 996 but I feel that Porsche should offer a 100,000 mile warranty extension or warranty on pre-owned vehicles, much like the Starmark Warranty Mercedes offers.

In my honest opinion, perhaps we should try and have the members of the Rennlist forums, fill out a petition and see if anyone from PCA and POC would be willing to sign and submit it to Porsche NA to see if we can succeed in this suggestion and reccomendation to further enhance the Porsche driving experience and ease of upkeep.

It wouldn't hurt to try...

Andy
Old 09-27-2004, 04:10 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I sent off an email to the company noted in this thread that performs the engine casting asking them if they had any comments about the Porsche RMS leaks. Don't expect to get an answer, but if I do, I'll post it.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CLL ACAB
I sent off an email to the company noted in this thread that performs the engine casting asking them if they had any comments about the Porsche RMS leaks. Don't expect to get an answer, but if I do, I'll post it.
Great.. Nothing ventured... nothing blah, blah.........

Quick Reply: should porsche offer a 100,000 mi warranty to 996 owners because of rms problems?