996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a certified porsche or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004 | 03:55 PM
raidentech.com
Instructor

Default Should I buy a certified porsche or not

Hi. I have found a yellow cab 2002 with 22k miles. The dealer will charge about $1500 to get it certified. It still has about 2 years left in the factory warranty.

However, I want to keep the car longer. I have found a 3rd party extended warranty (www.warrantydirect.com ) for 6 years and 100k miles for about $5k.

I'm in California by the way. And they clearly state on the warranty that "the plan offers "wear-and-tear" coverage and includes seals and gaskets."

You can get the full warranty statement here

http://www.warrantydirect.com/warran...a_coverage.asp

So, the RMS problem will basically cover under warrantydirect.com

The problem, I am having is that you have to buy the extended warranty from warrantydirect.com within 4 years or less than 50k miles. So your car has to be under your factory warranty inorder to buy warrantydirect.

So the porsche certified warranty for 2 more years + 100k miles is going to be wasted since I have to buy the car under my original manufacture warranty for warrantydirect.com.

And I want to know should I skip the porsche certified, and head straight to warrantydirect when the factory warranty is about to expire?

Please give me your feedbacks.
Old 09-15-2004 | 04:04 PM
EJAX
Track Day

Question - will warranty direct cover an engine replacement based on a failed RMS? The replacement of the RMS itself is only $800 to $1,000. I am not a technician but it is my general understanding that the seal or the engine can get "out of tolerance" as a result of the faulty RMS or something else which caused the RMS to be faulty (not sure what that is), whcih could be construed as a design defect, requiring the replacement of the engine. Perhaps someone can explain why the new engine is necessary in that situation, and you can pose the question to warranty direct. I'd be interested in their answer to that question. If they don't cover the engine replacement, the aftermarket warranty may not be worth it.
Old 09-15-2004 | 04:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Personally, I would go with the Certified car. It still has warranty left and the certified extends it another 2 years and 100K total miles. Plus the cost difference is substantial. I am surprised they are charging you though as most of the cars on the lot (at least here in LV) are certified. I would negotiate that in with the price that you settle on to purchase the car and go certified that way you are building that relationship with the dealer and they will probably do a bit more for you with their warranty versus having a 3rd party "approve" any repair as well as you can bet they will drag their heels. There was a thread recently about this where it took some time to get the repair done and paid for. Granted it was for a tranny or engine (can't remember) but the point is that is you needed something major like that it would be handled quickly with a certied warranty and save you lots of headache.

just my $.02 though.
Old 09-15-2004 | 05:05 PM
raidentech.com
Instructor

But I wanna keep the car more than 4 years from now. So if I get it certified, then I won't be able to buy the 3rd party extended warranty. Since I can only buy the extended warranty within the car's original factory warranty.

Please advice.

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2004 | 05:16 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

I say you will get far more guaranteed coverage from porsche. You'll be getting 4 years warrantee from now. Pretty much same as a new car. Cant ask for more. Or you can go with a aftermarket and try to battle with them for every nickle. And the $1500 is about normal, but I think its a little jacked up. I would try dickering with the dealer and get them to drop a couple hundred.
Old 09-15-2004 | 05:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

First things first.....is the 3rd party coverage for 6 years after factory expires or 6 years from in-service date? That will clear this up a bit more. If it is 6 years from the purchase date then you really only have 4 years 100K total since you will use the Porsche warranty for 2 years. So you need to ask yourself, is it worth the extra $3500 or so to get a net 2 years of coverage. Probably not. Basically you will have a 2yr/100K from Porsche for $1500 or 4yr/100K from a 3rd party for $5000 after the original factory 4yr/50K runs out.
Old 09-15-2004 | 05:24 PM
raidentech.com
Instructor

Hi. It's 6 years from purchase. So it's best to wait till the original warranty about to expire first then buy the 3rd party warranty. So I get another 6 years with warranty. The price is the same from buying now or later.

Have anybody tried warrantydirect before?
Old 09-15-2004 | 05:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I would still get the certified for $1500 (or less). Then at the end of 2years buy the 3rd party and have 4 years in addition to the 2 years from Porsche. Talk about total piece of mind. The certified warrant doesn't cover quite a bit though. For example, a known problem with these cars is the cracked coolant resorvoir which can run you close to $700 for parts and labor. But, if you have the 3rd party in addition maybe they will cover it?

However, if it was me, I would simply put $5K in a rainy day fund and let it make money and then use it for repairs if they are needed. Then if I do not spend it all, I didn't overpay!
Old 09-15-2004 | 05:35 PM
raidentech.com
Instructor

"
California MBI coverage statement:

We will pay the licensed repair facility of your choice for the reasonable cost to repair or replace any part of your vehicle where a failure has occurred, except for those items listed in the exclusions section.

Exclusions:

Carburetor; battery; shock absorbers; manual transmission clutch assembly; friction clutch disc and pressure plate; throw out bearing; manual and hydraulic linkages; distributor cap and rotor; safety restraint systems; glass; lenses; sealed beams; light bulbs; brake rotors and drums; exhaust and emission systems; weather strips; trim; moldings; bright metal; chrome; upholstery and carpet; paint; outside ornamentation; bumpers; body sheet metal and panels; tires; wheels/rims; GPS navigation systems; phone systems and TV/video/entertainment systems.

Maintenance services and parts described in your vehicle's owner's manual as supplied by the manufacturer. (i.e. oil changes, tune-ups, brake pads, belts, hoses and spark plugs)

"

So they should cover the coolent tank leak.
Old 09-15-2004 | 05:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I think key to this also is their wording "reasonable cost". Sounds like an HMO stlye payment....i.e, the dealer says $700 for the tank and 3rd party says $500, then you are left with a bill of $200.

Like I said, I would go with the certified, negotiate it into the price, put some rainy day money aside, and enjoy your new car
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:11 PM
raidentech.com
Instructor

They said $0 deductible. Why I have to shill out $200. If it's covered, it's covered.

So for the RMS, how long is the warranty if you have one fixed for the leak?
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

$0 ded but they say "reasonable" cost to repair. What if they don't agree with the Porsche dealer charge?

Any repair done outside of the 4yr/50K carries a 2 year warranty. If it is done inside the warranty pariod their is no timetable except for the end of the 4yr/50K. For example, if you get a new RMS put in 1 week before your warranty expires and then you need one another a few thousand miles down the road (6 months later) and you have no certified or 3rd party coverage, then you are SOL.
Old 09-15-2004 | 06:33 PM
raidentech.com
Instructor

I think "reasonable" is to prevent outside shops from scamming the warranty company by charging 200% more than other shops. But if it's done from the dealer, they should be able to honor it.
Old 09-15-2004 | 07:24 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

I thought the Porsche certified warranty extended to a total of 5 years??? Maybe I'm wrong. But for $1,500 (probably negotiable a little), I'd sure like to have the Porsche warranty and think it could save you $$ and make life easier in the future.
Old 09-15-2004 | 07:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

nope 6 years. It adds 2 years and 100K total miles to the regular warranty. But it is more limited in scope.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a certified porsche or not