Sponsored by:

996: Engine Coolant Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 03:57 PM
doksoori
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996: Engine Coolant Recommendations

I need to add coolant to my 996. I was tempted to just add water to fill my reservoir tank (almost empty). Can I just add water or should I go for a 50-50 mix? If so, do I *need* to get porche engine coolant or can I get something off the shelf?

Thanks a *ton* for your responses!
Old 09-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my tank is low I just add plain water.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:51 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

by the cheapest elthylen glycol you can find. It's all the same. Fix up a 50/50 mixture and keep it in the garage so next time you need to add it, it's handy. Water for now is fine since it's such a small amount compared to the total volume in the coolant system.

I know of no oil, grease, coolant or other additive that is sold by porsche that is any better than others off the shelf. So don't waste your money.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:01 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to contradict, but .... Our very active PCA club keeps an independent Porsche shop very busy. This is the best mechanic I have encountered in 42 years of driving. He charges us about half of what our local dealer charges. He worked for them for over ten years and has attended all of the Porsche certified training. I have never encountered a more honest mechanic and I consider myself slightly above average regarding car repairs myself.
About 2 months ago I had the dreaded coolant reservoir tank seam split that plagues the 1999 model year cars. In addition to the new improved tank Doug ordered up 3 quarts of the Porsche certified coolant. It was his opinion that the Porsche coolant should not be mixed with other coolant. I trust his experience implicitly.
As posted previously he charged me for 3 quarts of Porsche coolant 00004330078 at $6.97 each. He charged me $184.78 for the coolant reservoir and $120 for the labor to replace the leaking reservoir, fill and bleed. I post this for your reference.
Heck, my duramax requires special coolant, why would I cheap out on my Porsche ? Put your mind at ease and get the Porsche stuff.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:10 PM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late models have Pentosin long life antifreeze with organic acid anti-corrosion agents, similar to Dexcool. It is not compatible with standard antifreeze. Hard water can also cause problems. Top off with bottled water. I've researched, trying to find something inexpensive that's compatible with Pentosin without success.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

The coolant is made by Elf, and then when Elf and Texaco formed a joint venture for coolants in Europe it was called Arteco.

I have not looked at the container recently to see if Porsch has removed the names.

You can buy the same stuff at any parts place.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=170704

Old 09-12-2004, 11:03 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

dont forget to use distilled water
Old 09-13-2004, 12:15 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

you should never mix regular and long-life coolant in a car. that's like mixing diesel and gas in your gas tank! they're incompatible fluids. as for porsche coolant versus a major manufacturer, well, i've never heard anything to say the porsche long-life coolant is better than prestone long-life coolant. heck, they may even be the same thing!

as for putting long-life coolant in an older car, well, just a word of advice: don't do it unless you feel like replacing your entire coolant system. the long-life coolants have corrosive additives in them that today's cars' coolant systems are designed for, but older cars were not! refer to your owner's manual to determine which one is ok to use.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

teflon is correct. mixing the two can cuase the coolant to "gel" and ruin your whole system. Do not skimp on stuff like this.

As lexpilot said, it is not that expensive to buy the right fluid.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:56 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Yes I agree with that you should not just add any coolant. The main problem is your typical coolant contain phosphate. I had experience with Mercedes that clogged the radiator with Prestone(not a cheap coolant) The reason is that german manufactures makes their radiators tubes smaller and typical coolant can gel and clog the radiator. I now use OE coolant in MB. I have used Dexacool in MBs and had good luck since it has no phosphates. IMO I would use OE for your porsche or some other German made extended life coolant. Dexacool will be OK for top off make sure you use bottle water. Calcium will hurt the aluminum.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:15 PM
ebaker
Pro

The gel from antifreeze that sometimes cloggs things up is the silicone additive. I believe the phosphates were removed due to European pollution laws.

Quick Reply: 996: Engine Coolant Recommendations