996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Serious knocking/pinging/pre-detonation when accelerating after every shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 04:14 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you suspect that it's bad gas, you might want to try a bottle or two of gasline water remover. Usually a dollar or two a bottle at an auto parts store. (A similar thing happened to a friend of mine. Her car would stall and was difficult to start because of watered down gas and totally cured by the water remover.)
Old 09-13-2004, 05:05 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

I would be surprised if the car would idle at 200 rpm, that is prox 450 rpm below spec. A vaccum leak would cause a high idle, not a low one. Pinging (predetonation) is caused by either too lean a mixture, or too low an octane rating (for the engine operating conditions). Oil in the fuel (bad rings or valve seals) can cause oil in the cylinders which can be a cause for pre-detonation.

The combination of predet and low idle may be an ignition problem. Perhaps start your diagnosos by checking your wires to the coils and your plug wires.........
Old 09-13-2004, 05:21 PM
BrianPA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember quite some time ago reading about problems Boxster owners were expiriencing with after market intakes where by the MAF (I *think* mass airflow sensor) would get fouled up with oil somehow and cause poor performance. Since the engines are somewhat the same this might be worth checking. Either way I think going back to the stock airbox and a visit to the dealer immediately would be your best bet. Whatever it is it can't be good for your car.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:54 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well dealer seems to think bad gas as well but that is just a verbal call at this point. Later this week they are getting it in and hooking her up to see what the read out says.
I will keep you all informed.

Quick Reply: Serious knocking/pinging/pre-detonation when accelerating after every shift