996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rejex: Disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 265 Posts

Berny, sweet. In that first picture it looks like you have a HUGE ear ring.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one Kirby ha ha! That's my son sitting in the drivers seat. The HUGE earing looking thing is a dangly car smelly. You know the thing that makes your car smell sweet. I see what you mean though.
I am that fat bloke with the cap on in the 3rd pic.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:34 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevo'99
That's a great looking bumper! Which one is it? Who makes it?
Thanks Stevo. I have the Ruf RGT front bumper and side skirts. It is hard to see the bumper's details on my ocean blue car but here's a nice picture from the Ruf website: http://www.ruf-automobile.de/galerie...500/bild03.jpg

Anyway, it is reassuring to hear that some of you guys tried both Zaino and Rejex and stuck with Zaino. I've been a happy customer of Zaino for about 4 years. I still want to try Rejex though -- I figure if it is good enough to protect military helicopters from turbine exhaust stains it should work well for my Sport Classics and exhaust tips. ;-)

.:programmatore:.

BTW, here's a picture of my car after I applied the third coat of Zaino Z2.
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2004, 01:25 AM
x-autoproducts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all,

i thought i'd chime in with my $0.02 worth.

i'm very happy to hear that several folks have very positive experiences with RejeX. thanks for posting your feedback. and regarding the post about the rennlist discount, please call us at 800-559-1192 to place an order as we're still offering rennlist members and visitors the price of $16.09 plus $2 shipping to any address. our website should be updated this weekend so you won't have to call, you'll simply click a link to go to a forum discount page. more details about this later in the week.

as for RejeX and durability,,,
RejeX will not degrade just by exposure to air or rain water. RejeX is designed to resist acids, solvents, fuels, detergents/soaps, and other corrosive agents like exhaust gas residue and bug guts. it mostly degrades by abrasion from particles in the air as you drive. if you have had reduced durability, then the primary culprits are the things already mentioned...

1) too warm a surface temperature when applied or during the cure time, or
2) previous applications of other products to which RejeX has to adhere to.

in order to reduce surface temps for an application, the wash water should cool the surface, and a shady location should keep it from warming back up. however, i lived in dallas for several years and i know for a fact that water coming out of the Cold tap can be 85* during the summer, even at night. i don't have any suggestion for overcoming that issue other than to wait for cooler temps. sorry.

as for putting RejeX over existing polishes or waxes, a good soap and/or a clay bar should be all that's necessary in most cases. i do not jump to the conclusion that rubbing compounds should used as you can introduce far more problems than low durability if you use abrasives improperly. if an experienced person with good equipment performs the process, then it can do a lot of good, but will not eliminate the silicone oil issue as that stuff can seep deep into the paint. if you have previously used waxes or polishes that contain silicones, then it will be difficult for RejeX (or most anything) to have much durability. silcones shine really well, but can cause issues later.

as for the issue of shine, i respect each person's opinion as to which product they feel shines their car the best. i used zaino for years, and have a very good idea of how well it works, and how much effort it takes to apply it. some folks prefer it over RejeX, some don't. if you've used both, then you have a a basis for a valid opinion. i recommend you use the product that makes you the happiest.

so, i hope this helps you make an informed decision. my thanks to those you've tried RejeX, and many thanks to those who've posted their very kind words. the rennlist and pca folks have been very enthusiastic about the product, and i appreciate it very much.

please feel free to call if you have any questions.

barry
X-Auto Products (rennlist sponsoring vendor)
800-559-1192
www.x-autoproducts.com
Old 09-09-2004, 01:07 PM
chago996
Racer

Question: what soap to use prior to using Rejex? We just bought a new 05 ML 350 SUV 2 weeks ago and I want to protect it with this stuff. Since it is new I don't think it needs to be clayed, but I understand all previous wax has to be removed. The Wax that it came with, applied at the dealer, seems almost gone already.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

They use the cheapest wax at dealerships to get the cars out the door looking half-way decent. I use "Dawn" as it will strip away all of that cheap wax. And don't factor out a real close going over with clay beforehand, small bug gut spots or other stuff can be on it already. Best not to lock in that stuff under the rejex. You don't need to clay the entire car, but go over it real close up and get any stubborn spots (that can be there from the first day off the lot).

Note: My Tundra is getting close to 3 months now on the rejex and I mentioned I washed it yesterday morning. Well it rained like hell in town last night while I was at the studio and came out to my truck all covered in beads of water. As I drove off, it all rolled off the paint as if I had just done a fresh wax job on it. I am really happy with RejeX.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Question: Will the RejeX work on my truck's Alcoa aluminum rims? It doesn't take long for them to look terrible and it takes quite a bit of elbow grease to buff them out. Can I rejex them after buffing? What product to polish tarnished aluminum would work best and not leave residues that may inhibit proper adhesion of the RejeX? I've used Mothers and/or polish wadding, but don't know what they might leave on or in the metal.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:35 PM
x-autoproducts
Racer

Stevo'99

yes, you can use RejeX on aluminum rims. it was made to protect the aluminum skin of military aircraft. it reduces the accumulation rate of brake dust, and reduces the effort involved to remove what brake dust does stick (because of how slippery it leaves the surface).

there have been posts here, and on corvetteforum.com and others, about how well RejeX performs at keeping wheels clean, and making them easier to clean with only a blast of water from the hose, without having to scrub.

apply it in a thin layer, and wipe it off extremely well. then let it cure for 12 hours.

thanks,
barry
X-Auto Products
800-559-1192
Old 09-09-2004, 03:38 PM
SPR
Drifting

what is so great about this product? does it have teflon? I haven't heard it given much acclaim in the professional detailing boards- no flame just unfamiliar with composition of product etc.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Lomcevak
Instructor

Quote: zaino is so much more time consuming, though. i can apply rejex 4 times in the time it takes to do the multi step zaino business. zaino is also much pricier.

For the initial application, I would agree with the time, as Zaino recommends stripping the old finish via washing the car with Dawn, followed by misting/removing Zaino gloss enhancer, apply/remove Zaino polish and another gloss enhancer treatment.

Once the initial coat of polish is on, subsequent treatments can consist of merely washing the car, or wash and gloss enhancer, or wash and polish, or any combination thereof. Washing the car and applying a coat of Zaino polish takes no more time than washing the car and applying a coat of Rejex.
Washing the car and applying a coat of gloss enhancer only can be done quicker than a wash/Rejex application.

Zaino doesn't have an 85 degree ceiling for application and doesn't require a 12 hour curing period as Rejex does.

Zaino is more expensive per measure, but my experience has been that Rejex is less durable and requires multiple applicatios to maintain similar gloss and shine over the same period of time and exposure to the elements, negating any initial cost savings and time in application.

I'm not affiliated with Zaino in any way, shape or form.........
Old 09-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Cayenne Austin
Instructor

Originally Posted by chago996
Question: what soap to use prior to using Rejex? We just bought a new 05 ML 350 SUV 2 weeks ago and I want to protect it with this stuff. Since it is new I don't think it needs to be clayed, but I understand all previous wax has to be removed. The Wax that it came with, applied at the dealer, seems almost gone already.
I would use Dawn, then clay bar the entire car- it does get contaminants embedded in the paint during transport, especially if it sits at the port for any length or time; lots of industial fallout all over the bonnet/roof. Just did my new Cayenne, and they clay was black after I did the bonnet/roof. Also might think about doing the windows (!) with clay- they also get a good deal of cr&p on them during transport.

Then wax of your choice.....
Old 09-11-2004, 01:59 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 441 Posts

Hi. Have used rejex for about 12 month and have had good results so far. Use it on my 01 BMW 3 series and my newly acquired 99 996 C2 and the wife's 04 ML350 and have had no problems. In fact I did both the 996 and my wife's SUV 2 weeks ago and she got folks stopping her to ask here who detailed her vehicle as the glaze was so deep and brilliant especially on an all black SUV. My 996 is Arena Red too so I will say that Rejex does tend to bring out the shine in darker colored vehicles better. Also you do need to pay attention to the temp outside when you apply it to get the BEST results. I put mine on with BOTH vehicle while parked in the shade and then moved them into the garage to cure and removed the glaze that forms inside the garage with an orbital buffer/waxer and clean/new pad. Then applied RainX to the winshields. Then I leave the vehicles under cover for at least 12 hrs before driving OR exposing them to the elements. So far GREAT results. Still beading up appearance now going on 2-3 weeks later and I know cause Hurricane Charley and Frances have been seein that we get our fair share of rain lately. Haven't tried the wheels yet but will try that as brake dust on ALL our vehicle accumulates too dayum quickly. But definately try to apply AND cure it in the shade and low temps.

Mdrob
=======
'99 996 C2 (mine)
'01 BMW 3 series (mine)
'04 ML350 SUV (heres)
2 kids (OURZ)

Quick Reply: Rejex: Disappointing