996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What should I do? What should they do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 02:22 PM
jwilkinsjr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What should I do? What should they do?

Ordered my ROW M0303 suspension kit from an as yet unnamed board sponsor. Brought the car in yesterday to have the kit installed and got a call later in the day informing me that the wrong parts were sent. Phone calls were made and it was determined that they did in fact send the wrong parts. As you might guess, there are none available in the US and have to be ordered from Germany. They "might" be here next week.

In the meantime, the car is in pieces tying up a bay in facility that makes it's living using bays. They are currently putting the car back together thereby adding another 4 hours to the install. Am I wrong in thinking that the people that sold me the parts should pay for the additional 4 hours?

I have made that request and will let you know how they respond. Hopefully, I can follow up with compliments.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we have a work on cars day the first thing I check is to make sure people have the correct parts before we start taking a car apart. And we have had people show up with the wrong parts.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:44 PM
eternal
Advanced

No, I don't think you are wrong at all. If they made a mistake that is costing you money I don't see how you would be incorrect in trying to get that money back!
Old 08-25-2004, 04:48 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no way you should have to pay for it. Either the people who sent the wrong parts, or the people who took the car apart before verifying they had the right parts, should.

Its ridiculous to expect the owner to pay for what, in my opinion, amounts to sloppiness on the part of the supplier and a very bad operational process on the part of the installer.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:54 PM
jwilkinsjr
Intermediate

I still have not recieved an answer from parts vendor as to when I can expect to receive the correct order. In the meantime, the shop reassembled the car but is lacking proper alignment so is not driveable and parked outside. Upon further research I find that I was only sent the coil springs and shocks. Other sites indicate the ROW M0303 kit consists of shocks, coil springs, stabilizers, compensation plates, and bump stops. Does anyone know the correct parts numbers for the entire kit for an '02 C2 Cab? I was sent the following parts:

996-343-041-21 shock
996-343-531-19 coil spring
996-343-043-23 shock
996-343-533-25 coil spring

I'm trying to determine whether I was shot at and missed, or sh*t at and hit!!
Old 08-25-2004, 08:36 PM
fahren affair
Pro

www.andial.com in california imports the complete kits. ask them.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:10 AM
frost
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
When we have a work on cars day the first thing I check is to make sure people have the correct parts before we start taking a car apart. And we have had people show up with the wrong parts.
I agree. The service tech should verify that he has the right parts before he begins work. So to me the parts department as well as the service tech are at fault. I'd let them fight it out regarding compensation for the additional effort.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:28 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy:

Please check this photo of my wheel and make sure it looks the same as your's.

I'll take the wheel off and check the part number if it looks the same.

Kam
Old 08-26-2004, 10:30 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, my previous post was for another topic
Old 08-26-2004, 07:12 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the parts supplier is wrong, and so is the installer. He does have a responsibility to verify if the parts were right. Also he is charging you an extra 4 hours for a job I can do in 2 hours. It sucks.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,738 Likes on 2,348 Posts

it's very obvious that the installer is either inexperienced or lacking in brain power. you ALWAYS check parts before you tear things apart. seems very common sense to me. of course, we all make mistakes, and to me, this is clearly installer's mistake. and if i were the installer, i would eat the 4 hours without blinking an eye.

be critical of tuners, installers, part vendors... they do this for a living, they NEED to get it right.
my wife doesn't operate on a patient and 1/2 through tell you that, gee, i forgot to order the right stint, can you hold on for another 2 hours while i have the correct stint sent in....
Old 08-26-2004, 09:49 PM
jwilkinsjr
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with parts vendor this morning (Brandywine Porsche) and they indicated that the parts were on their way from Germany and should be here tomorrow (Friday). I also questioned then as to whether what they sold me (Springs, Shocks) is really the total ROW M030 "kit". The research I did (after the fact, of course) indicated that the "kit" should also include stabilizer bars, compensation plates, and bump stops. Brandywine Porsche said that these additional components would not make a significant difference in handling but would give me a "deal" on these components due to the situation. When I brought up the question of "What about the additional 4 hours I may be charged because of your error"? The reply was "I can't do anything because the price I gave you originally was wholesale and I'm giving you a super deal on the additional components". In other words, "F*** Y**".

That being said, I won't do business with Brandywine Porsche again. I can understand that people make mistakes but they expressed no remorse and made me do all the follow up. Next step - let's see what the repair facility says!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:53 PM
LAJ_996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I learned the hard way by trying to save a few bucks.
For big ticket items I go with Gert. He knows his stuff. The parts are clearly outlined
on his site. Yeah the exchange on the euro sucks but you know your going to get the proper
set up. He has been doing this for a while.
Plus if Viken recommends him you know he is good.

roy

Quick Reply: What should I do? What should they do?