996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OT: Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 02:12 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one achiles heal of these cars is the air suspension, and there are very few who seem to know how to work on them. The first thing everyone says, including the dealer is replace the airbags, and pumps, and sensors. About $3-$4K. My ride height computer malfunctioned and I would come out in the morning and the back end would be all the way up and the fron end all the way down. Looked like a dragster. As soon as I started the car, the computer would reset itself and level off. So when they hook the diagnostic computer up to it, there was no fault in the system and all components were ok. The mechanic I had basically took a fully working system and swapped one part at a time until he found what was causing this. Ended up costing me hundreds, not thousands. Other than that and eating up brakes, I commuted in it 100 miles a day for 2 years. Plus ski trips, road trips, family trips, LA to the Bay Area many many times.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my '98 4.6 since new and I love it. It's a daily driver and road trip car 92k miles and still goung strong. I've never been stranded in it.

There hasn't been an SUV that's come out since that's made me want to trade mine in, including the new Rover.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:53 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Rob. Great pics. My '01 is also black exterior, but with black interior and some wood trim. I like this style better than the new model ('03 and '04), but, both are great looking SUVs. Hope mine is still going strong at 92k (currently 41k). Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:01 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"My ride height computer malfunctioned and I would come out in the morning and the back end would be all the way up and the fron end all the way down. Looked like a dragster."
LOL!!!

but really, its a land rover. it comes from the UK. not only that, its FMC people. british cars are generally great but not reliable at all. fords are, well, yeah.
so we've got a Ford car built in the UK.
Uh-Oh.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:35 AM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one achiles heal of these cars is the air suspension

I have a new RR (still has the paper plates on it) and it is at the dealer for the second time with air suspension problems. It locked up completely last month (didn't function-driving was like a REAL truck) and they flashed to computer to reset. Then I started noticing that the left side looked lower than the right. I measured, and sure enough, about a half-inch difference, front and back. When they called this afternoon, they said the tech reset theride height to even it out, went for a test drive, came back, and it is leaning to the left again. They suspect a leak, and so they are keeping it to test for that. Stay tuned....
Old 08-27-2004, 01:41 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get another one.....If I were you, I would be screaming bloody murder. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: OT: Range Rover