Sponsored by:

Sport Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 05:33 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The likely solution will be to put the "pre-cats" O2 sensor in the holes and hang the "post-cats" senors in clean air. That way the computer will think the cats are doing their job. It will likely trigger the CEL though.

I can't imagine running a street car without mufflers or cats. Have you ever stood behind a GT3RS? The sound is deafening. You would need earplugs in the car.

On my club racing 996 we are going to do dyno runs with 6 inch pipes coming out of the headers and going straight out the back. We'll handle the O2s as described above. By removing the crossing pipes/cats we will get rid of some weight and eliminate a huge source of heat right below the intake.
Jim
Old 08-19-2004, 12:39 AM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevo'99
Fabspeed's should be available within a week or two. They retail at $520, less than half of what FVD wants for theirs. I like Fabspeed's stuff - I have the Maxflo mufflers and my headers shipped yesterday. I will get the sport cats when they are available. They have the inputs for the 02 sensors built-in, of course. If there are any issues with setting off the emissions CEL upon installation, you can have it reset at any competent shop.
You are mistaking...You are comparing sport cats to cat bypass... Obviously cat bypasses are less because the cat is the expensive part... We have had cat bypass pipes for the 996 since 2001 (which we sell for around $450 BTW), however do not reccomend them because for a street car the reduced backpressure has been proven on our engine dyno in Germany to lose A LOT of low end torque (like 40LBS).
Just clearing things up....
Evan
Old 08-19-2004, 01:15 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ would custom tunning of the chip be able to compensate for the loss of backpressure in some way or is it just simply not a good idea period?

also..since it appears you work for FVD i might as well as you: what is the difference between the fvd gt exhaust system and just buying all the componanst separatly? is the only difference the welding? realistically: what kind of performance gains can i expect from your headers and sportcats?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:35 AM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
^ would custom tunning of the chip be able to compensate for the loss of backpressure in some way or is it just simply not a good idea period?
also..since it appears you work for FVD i might as well as you: what is the difference between the fvd gt exhaust system and just buying all the componanst separatly? is the only difference the welding? realistically: what kind of performance gains can i expect from your headers and sportcats?
It has nothing to do with programing... Sure it might help a little, but they really aren't related.

The GT system is only for the MK1 GT3, not the new 04. We only sell components for the 04 individually!! From headers and sportcats you would gain around 15HP. The end mufflers do nothing except sound better...
Regards
Old 08-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ thanks for the info...
i also saw on your site..displacement increases for the 996's.. are these only for the gt3 or do you have them for the 3.4L 996 as well?
Old 08-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info, AMG ETR! I appreciate it. Sounds like I do not want to get the cat by-pass pipes.

Aloha.

Quick Reply: Sport Catalytic Converter