Cold starting problems ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 01:09 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold starting problems ???

Hi all,
Recently on morning starts when I turn the key the engine barely runs, it idles very slow and quietly and if I touch the gas pedal it stalls.
It used to practically erupt when I turned the key and idle a bit high and then automatically drop down to normal idle.
For what it's worth......0W-40. Premium fuel of course. 8600 miles.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:18 PM
rrys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming it runs well when warm. Some items to check are:

Manifold leaks- Air cleaner secure? inlet bellows secure. Oil filler cap/dipstick on tight?
Water in the fuel?
Maybe defective sensor/connector? Check Engine Lights?
Fuel Pressure OK?

Seems like you are still in warrantee, so you may wish to limit your investigation to inspections.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:22 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

rrys: What the heck is that in your avatar? A simulator of some sort?

SYMA: I was having a similar issue. On cold startup, the car would rough idle at very low rpm and stall if I gave it gas. After about 15-20 seconds, the idle would jump up and the engine would smooth out.

Originally, I thought it was bad gas, but the "problem" persisted. I took it in to the dealer, and there were no fault codes and I recently had the 15K service done.

The second time I took it in for the startup issue I got a fault code for a faulty MAF sensor. The MAF sensor was replaced under warranty and guess what? I still had the startup problem, but no new fault codes.

It seemed to me that the car was having trouble with fuel/spark timing on cold startup. So, now when I start the car, I turn the ignition to the first position (allowing the car to power up and fire the fuel injectors [my presumption]), let it sit for one second, then continue turning the ignition to position two to actually start the car.

I no longer have problems starting the car.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:51 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RJF, DO you have a Fabspeed cold air kit ? I do ,and one of my concerns when I installed it was that it might cause MAF problems. Maybe too much air flowing across the sensor now ???
My car was in for some minor concerns and one major issue with the rack and pinion (still not fixed) and there were no faults then (5 weeks ago).
Old 08-16-2004, 08:10 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

SYMA,

Yes, I have the cold air kit, and I'm running it with the BMC filter. I tracked it multiple times and drove it for about 3500 miles without any issues. Then, all of the sudden I started having the idling problem. Oddly, it happened right after I installed my PSE.

Eventually, the MAF sensor was replaced. However, I still had the idling problem, even with a new sensor. I haven't had any issues whatsoever using my "ignition pause" technique .

I know people running stock air filters that have had MAF failures. I know that there are reports of re-oiled cotton filters causing MAF failure. I also know some guys that have run BMC filters for years without any issues, including washed and re-oiled filters.

So, you may very well have a faulty MAF sensor that just hasn't triggered a fault code yet. Or, you may have a finnicky p-car like mine...

Regarding the intake affecting the MAF, I find that a very unlikely scenario. I have zero throttle response issues, even at idle, and my car performs flawlessly at the track.

Quick Reply: Cold starting problems ???