Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oily spots on both driver and passenger side windows ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 01:12 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oily spots on both driver and passenger side windows ??

Me again,
Does anyone else experience this ? I clean my windows and if I put them down a round oily spot appears in the upper corner of both windows
Old 08-16-2004, 01:34 PM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same thing and I can't figure it out. I have tried cleaning the insides of the two strips holding the window and it didn't work. It's got to be something inside of the door. Anyway, both my doors are rattling pretty badly so I will get the dealer to fix both problems when they take apart the doors...
Old 08-16-2004, 01:38 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Each window has 2 regulator pads, and yours have gotten dirty and need to be replaced. I've had this issue on all 3 of the 996s I've owned (multiple times on 2 of them). Half the Boxster loaners I've driven also had the smears. Dealers keep these in stock and replace them under warranty.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:22 PM
fahren affair
Pro

i'm getting a bad "screetch" when lowering or raising the windows a 1/4 of the way up or down. is this caused by worn pads?
Old 08-16-2004, 07:54 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poursha,
They are oily, when you say dirty do you refer to dust build up ? if so then where the heck does the oil come from ? It is a very clear oil
Old 08-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SYMA
Poursha,
They are oily, when you say dirty do you refer to dust build up ? if so then where the heck does the oil come from ? It is a very clear oil
I have no idea how the pads get dirty (I use dirty as a generic term), but the oily smears are a long time problem with the 996/986 series, dating back to my '99 Carrera, and also in my '04 Carrera. Could be the lubricant used on the window lift mechanism. As I said, the dealers are quite familiar with this issue and stock replacement pads. We'll see if this issue, and others like RMS leak, carry over to the 997...

I saw a Carrera GT at the dealer a while back, and it had a smear on the passenger window!!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:51 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the info. I've got an oily streak on both windows and I'll have it looked at during my first service.

Quick Reply: Oily spots on both driver and passenger side windows ??