Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Calling all supercharged 996 owners: how does performance compare to the Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Deeps
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to confess that the last post I even vaguely began to understand was 1999Porsche911's first post (for which, many thanks - great info & really useful)!
Old 08-16-2004, 03:58 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Here's a pair of chassis dynos taken from Evo's website that show a 3.4 and 3.6 996 before and after installing the Evo SC. Check out their webite at http://evoms.com/porsche%20ec%20art%20test.htm
Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Deeps
Intermediate

Thanks Fishman, but I had already seen those on Evo's website (which they seem to update quite regularly). Nobody seems to have done the elusive SC/TT dyno comparison.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:11 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scott_in_Houston
I would be worried about super charging this engine and severely shortening the life of the engine or worse, causing it to grenade.
I share your concern, but I'm seriously considering having my C4S super charged since two of my semi-local Porsche dealerships are advertised in a recent issue of Excellence Magazine as installing Evo super chargers (Danbury Porsche in Connecticut and Brandywine Porsche in Philadelphia) since dealerships are generally pretty conservative with how they modify cars and also will be there to sue if the car was destroyed by the super charger.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Deeps
Intermediate

I'm not quite brave enough yet to take the leap and SC my C4S, although I'm very grateful that other Porsche owners out there are braver than I am when it comes to their (very expensive) cars. I really hope that there are no problems mid to long term. It's certainly very cool that this seems to be the case so far - long may that state of affairs continue.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:44 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishman
I share your concern, but I'm seriously considering having my C4S super charged since two of my semi-local Porsche dealerships are advertised in a recent issue of Excellence Magazine as installing Evo super chargers (Danbury Porsche in Connecticut and Brandywine Porsche in Philadelphia) since dealerships are generally pretty conservative with how they modify cars and also will be there to sue if the car was destroyed by the super charger.
Has anyone actually called either dealer to confirm this? Personally, I don't think it's true.

I saw the ad and the ad was for the entire line of performance parts. It may very well be that Danbury and Brandywine stock some of this go fast gear, but don't go near the superchargers, much less install them.

Neither dealer is listed on the EVOMS site as an installer for the SC.

http://www.evoms.com/porsche%20ec%20art%20test.htm
Old 08-16-2004, 08:02 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mlambert890
Has anyone actually called either dealer to confirm this?

http://www.evoms.com/porsche%20ec%20art%20test.htm
No, but I e-mailed Danbury last month when I saw the ad (it was a Sunday, so i couldn't call) and they left a message on my answering machine the next day stating that they do install super chargers but they weren't going to install them for the next few weeks until they got their new building built. So I'm pretty sure that they will do the job.

Quick Reply: Calling all supercharged 996 owners: how does performance compare to the Turbo?