Sponsored by:

Door lock button stays on....Keyfob not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 04:11 PM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock button stays on....Keyfob not working

My keyfob suddenly stopped working the other day. When I open the car I have to use the key and if I don't turn the key in the ignition in about 10 seconds, the alarm goes off. Also I noticed the button on the dash that lets you lock both doors is always on now unless I turn it off.

The fobs' red light still works so I assume the battery is still good.

What's going on?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you leave your car locked for 5 days or more, the remote sensor shuts off to save the battery. If I don't drive my '04 Carrera for more than 5 days, I have to manually unlock the car, then press the unlock/lock button on the key.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:43 PM
996Yellow
1st Gear

I have a 2001 996 Cab. When I use the key to manually unlock or lock the door it automatically do the same for the passenger door. The key fob blinks when pushed but does not lock/unlock the doors or trunk. If press the key fob while manually locking or unlocking the door the convertible top and windows will open and shut as they should (I just discovered this). The door lock/unlock button to the right of my stereo is not functioning and isn't showing the red light. The key fob hasn't been functioning for a few years. I'm pretty sure that the right of stereo lock/unlock but used to work and showed the red light up until about a year ago.
  • I put a new engine battery in a few months ago (didn't impact the issue)
  • I have not changed the key fob battery (it blinks when pressed and will activate the convertible top when pressed with key turned in door).
  • I tried holding key fob lock/unlock while manually locking/unlocking door manually and while starting/turning off car
  • I don't know if this matters: when I start the car the key does not automatically turn back to engine-on position. I have to manually move it back to engine-on position so it doesn't continue to try to start. I'm planning to replace the ignition switch tomorrow.
I'd love some help if anyone knows what is happening. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2020, 04:56 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,013 Posts

sometimes the red light on the fob works but the battery still needs to be replaced, happened to me several times
Old 11-09-2020, 05:19 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by 996Yellow
I have a 2001 996 Cab. When I use the key to manually unlock or lock the door it automatically do the same for the passenger door. The key fob blinks when pushed but does not lock/unlock the doors or trunk. If press the key fob while manually locking or unlocking the door the convertible top and windows will open and shut as they should (I just discovered this). The door lock/unlock button to the right of my stereo is not functioning and isn't showing the red light. The key fob hasn't been functioning for a few years. I'm pretty sure that the right of stereo lock/unlock but used to work and showed the red light up until about a year ago.
  • I put a new engine battery in a few months ago (didn't impact the issue)
  • I have not changed the key fob battery (it blinks when pressed and will activate the convertible top when pressed with key turned in door).
  • I tried holding key fob lock/unlock while manually locking/unlocking door manually and while starting/turning off car
  • I don't know if this matters: when I start the car the key does not automatically turn back to engine-on position. I have to manually move it back to engine-on position so it doesn't continue to try to start. I'm planning to replace the ignition switch tomorrow.
I'd love some help if anyone knows what is happening. Thanks!
I have a question. You have one post on this forum. You resurrect a post from 16 years ago to ask a question that was never resolved. Not sure what you are expecting. Did you do a search and this is what you came up with?

Last edited by DBJoe996; 11-09-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Door lock button stays on....Keyfob not working