Sponsored by:

C4S and Snow

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:42 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4S and Snow

How is the C4S in the snow? Is it comparable in the snow to the BMW 330xi (also a 4 wheel drive car)?

I ask because I lease a BMW 330Xi as a daily driver (4 wheel drive) because we get a lot snow in the winter, and I own a 911 C2 Cab, which I love but which I drive only rarely because I have the BMW sitting there for use. I hate the fact that I don't drive the 911 much at all, but I hate even more the idea of using the 911 as a daily and letting a leased car sit idle.

So, I'm thinking more and more about trading both the BMW and the 911 C2 in and buying a C4S, and use the C4S as a daily driver, snow and all. This way, I get to drive a P-Car everyday, and probably save some $$$ per month because no more BMW lease payment. Hence my question-- How is the C4S in the snow? Also, is this a silly idea? Any thoughts appreciated.

Gary
Old 07-21-2004, 08:52 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend in Minnesota who drives a C4S year-round. He puts different rims and snow tires on in the winter. He's done this since 02.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a C4S in Chicago and have driven it all year around with no problems in the snow. The two caveats are you have to have snow tires, and the snow has to be relatively light or pisted to not create problems with ground clearance.

I have an allroad which I use more in winter, not because the C4S won't cut it, but because I don't trust others not to do something stupid when the weather gets bad: namely the "invincible" SUV driver at 80 mph in the outside lane who forgets that low friction surfaces do funny things to braking...
Old 07-21-2004, 11:25 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a C4S (awesome car BTW) and plan to run it all year round. I will put snow tires on it and on bad days I will take the bus or telecommute for the same reason Le Chef says (other idiots). As you said though, this way I get to drive a Porsche every day!

Barry
Old 07-22-2004, 07:22 AM
sly
Instructor

The two caveats are you have to have snow tires, and the snow has to be relatively light or pisted to not create problems with ground clearance.

I can't imagine the C4S would be good in snow because of the ground clearance. Anything over three inches of accumulation should affect the C4's traction. My recollection is that the BMW 330Xi has relatively high ground clearance. Moreover, I personally don't like the idea of driving a $90K car in snowy conditions. Even though you may have outstanding traction, how about the guy next to you. When it snows I prefer driving a clunker.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Bradskii
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have C4 I drive year-round. You MUST have snow tires, though. It has been at stock heighth, but I have lowered it with coilovers, so clearance may be an issue this winter. As others have stated, the Porshce does fine, it is the others to watch out for.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I've driven both my 2001 C4 and my 2004 C4S Cab in the snow. Absolutely put snow tires on the car, I have 17" Dunlop Winter M2 (for the C4S you'll need offsets 22mm rear, 6mm front for the 17" tires but they are much more effective in the snow) I drive my Porsche 100 miles a day all year round - in all weather. I've driven in 6" of snow - no problems - passed SUVs going up hills, no problem. Of course you still need some driving skill no car in the world is going to help you there.

Do not hesitate for one minute to drive your Porsche C4S all year round. It's a car not a museum piece so trade in your cars and get one car that you'll absolutely love. You'll save money on insurance with one car and you get the joy of driving it everywhere.

I have 13,000 miles on my C4S Cab that I picked up in Jan.

Best of luck,
Rob
Old 07-22-2004, 11:05 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Yeah...what Riad said.....

I use my car year round, all conditions. Use it to go skiing in VT, used in 4+ inches of snow, no problems at all, it is a tank
Winter tires are a must, Porsche recommend Dunlop Winter Sport M2s (which I can vouch for), but there are many other very good hi-performance snow tires. I actually use 18" rims with my snows...
Old 07-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Shrews
Instructor

I use Michelin pilot alpins on my c4s in the winter. The car does everybit as well if not better than my audi A4 did (probably b/c of the extra weight over the rear tires.)
Old 07-22-2004, 01:52 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Riad, how did you get 17" wheels on a C4S? Although some 911s have 17" wheels (like C2s) I thought the wheels needed to be at least 18" because of the larger brakes on the C4S?

I bought snow tires (Bridgestone) and wheels (Mille Miglia Cup Threes (looks like standard C4S wheels)) from Tirerack.com and my C4S was great in the snow. The only car I've ever driven that was better in the snow is an Audi Quattro with snow tires. I tested it out by driving up steep hills in snow and ice and never found a hill that I couldn't drive up without a problem (Which was great because before I bought this car a lot of people I knew told me not to get the car because it wouldn't be good in the snow. It turns out that I have a vehicle that can go places their cars can't). But Like everyone else said, you can't drive it if the snow gets really deep because of ground clearance, but in 5 inches or less, it is fantastic. I think it is better than an SUV in light snow because it weighs thousands of pounds less than those five to six thousand pound SUVs which makes it much better for stopping, and manuvering, etc.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:51 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishman
Riad, how did you get 17" wheels on a C4S? Although some 911s have 17" wheels (like C2s) I thought the wheels needed to be at least 18" because of the larger brakes on the C4S?
Like I said, you need the wheel offsets... 22mm rear, 6mm front.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:28 AM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

I drive my 03 Targa in snow with 18" Dunlop Winter M2 mounted - I live on a large mountain and trust me we get snow, BIGTIME ! - The Targa handles well in the snow, I don't have a suv or a AWD car, only the Targa and the AMG, both of which require me to pay attention and focus on driving in the white stuff. But with snow tires mounted, they both are pretty good in snow, put it to you this way, I have never gotten stuck!. Best of luck to you..
Old 07-23-2004, 02:48 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, these are great comments. You've convinced me to go for it. I just put my C2 cab in the classified section, and look forward to shopping for a C4s sometime soon.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:41 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

jesus christ.....buy a beat up 4x4 for the snow and leave the C4S in the garage (remember what happened to the Germans on the Russian front in WWII? Exactly...you'll get about the same results)
Old 07-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
jesus christ.....buy a beat up 4x4 for the snow and leave the C4S in the garage (remember what happened to the Germans on the Russian front in WWII? Exactly...you'll get about the same results)
What happened to your C4S? Did you have snow tires on it?
Just curious as it's obvious that you're speaking from exerience.

Quick Reply: C4S and Snow