996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

my car in shop for RMS repairs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 11:52 PM
netdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car in shop for RMS repairs...

I dropped mine off yesterday at the dealer for RMS fix.

I have few questions:

1. As I have read on this board about having the technician check the clutch when they are working on RMS, when I mentioned this to my service advisor, he said he will have to charge me extra labor hours, because they will have to remove the some more parts to get to the clutch for inspection.

Is that real???

2. Mine is a little over 2 years and when I asked him about the service history from day one to see if they have replace the seal for RMS before, he said they don't have access to complete vehicle service history. Even my Land Rover dealer and Mercedes Dealers have access to the entire service history based on the VIN number. How can you get the full service history report on your car from Porsche?

3. What things should I check for when I get the car back after the RMS Leak repairs...???
Old 07-14-2004, 12:17 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

They are full of it, you have to remove the clutch and flywheel to expose the main seal, minimal if any more work is needed.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:18 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(1) Bullsh?t ... I have had three RMS replaced. My dealer has "touched up" my clutch every time. I ask them to look at the % remaining so I could replace it if need be without the R&R cost.

(2) They also have on their computer everything they have ever done to the car from day one in 2002.

The current TSB has them replace the 3 IMS bolts and the 4 block bolts with microencapsulated bolts.

Most mportent they should document that they measured the area where the seal resides and are within spec.

(3) oil on the floor in 2-3 months...watch the oil consumption anything more than 1 quart per 1000 miles is too much.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:20 AM
netdoc
Instructor

Thanks
Old 07-14-2004, 12:24 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

FIND A NEW DEALER ASAP
Old 07-14-2004, 02:02 AM
stanmo
Track Day

What does it mean by 'touching up' the clutch? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:03 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

I will wholeheartedly second that changing a clutch out during a RMS repair should not cost extra (I guess a minimal charge would be OK).

As for the repair histories, I know for a fact that Mercedes VMI inquiries will only display warranty repairs. Anything that is customer-pay will only show up in the records of the individual repair facility that performed the repairs. The Porsche system is a little behind even from that.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:10 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

If there is oil on the clutch, that should also be replaced under warranty. Make sure they have the Porsche tool to measure the concentricity of the crankcase. I also agree with roberga - Find a new dealer. After what they told you about charging extra to inspect the clutch, I wouldn't trust them at all.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Gery NJ
Racer

I am not sure that PAG has a complete history. You will need to get a hold of servicing dealer to get history
Old 07-14-2004, 10:04 PM
jrhers
7th Gear

I recently purchased a 1999 C2 Cab. After owning it for 2 weeks I spotted some oil on the garage floor. Sure enough it was the RMS. Since it was repaired under warranty two years ago Porsche replaced it under warranty.

I had the clutch replaced, as well. FYI - my dealer charged $45 labor for inspection, cleaning, etc.

I picked my car up today and by the time I got home I had a good size oil leak. I had the dealer come to flat bed the car back to their shop.

My initial discussions with the service manager were about replacing the engine. Is there anyone out there who has had engine replaced?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

One of our local guys, Jean, picked up his 2000 2.7 Boxster yesterday with a replacement engine.

1st replacement seal 30k miles. 2nd 38k. 3rd in December at 49k. 4th in January. The 4th started leaking this month. He also had an intermediate shaft seal leak along the way.

His car has been out of warranty for a while. The crankshaft was in specs each time.

Guess even Porsche got tired of it so they authorized a replacement engine. I was tired of it. Each time Jean came to one of our work on cars days I would have to look under his car for oil. He would email me pictures of his oil leaks when he discovered one.

Last year our dealer put on a tech session and showed us the latest tools pertaining to the seal issue. Funny thing is, Jean was at the session.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:02 AM
jrhers
7th Gear

Has there been any issues with the car since the engine replacement?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:41 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Jean picked up his car YESTERDAY.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:30 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jrhers, if you got the car back and it had a "good sized" oil leak it sounds
like the seal wasn't placed right and it literally fell out. If the oil leak is that bad I would expect your clutch to need replaceing....again.

Jeff, have you been following the boxter thread on pcgb. Interesting stuff?

Quick Reply: my car in shop for RMS repairs...