Bird Droppings

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 01:34 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Bird Droppings

Damn! I got hit again!

I really need to keep something handy to remove these surprises. What do you suggest? Once the bird 'crap' has dried, what do you use to get it off safely? Is there some sort of cleaner I can keep in my trunk to handle these little 'emergencies'? I realize that washing the car would be the best solution, but that isn't always readily available.

They always damage my paint too, so I'm thinking of trying some sort of acrylic wax next time I wash and wax my car.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:35 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I keep a spray bottle of Griots speed shine and a rag in my trunk.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:48 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frequent waxing will keep the damage down combined with frequent washing. By frequent I mean wax every month or so of use and wash every week. I've had no bird dropping damage for 40 years just by being regular. I don't think that the kind of wax you use makes a difference especially if you are doing the frequent wax and wash.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:54 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

I don't know about that. I wash at LEAST once a week, and wax once a month (usually with Meguiars carnuba based waxes). I have about 3 spots of paint damage from bird droppings. I guess the birds in Los Angeles have more acid in their diet.

Here's a good article I found on this topic...

Last edited by Paul Marangoni; 07-12-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:22 AM
sly
Instructor

It's amazing how much more caring an owner is for his car than a dealer. I took my car in for service last week and saw a 40 th Anniversary car with bird droppings in three areas. I pointed this out to the dealer, and he thanked me and said they would take care of it. Well I went to the dealer three days later, and the droppings were still there. The dealer is probably waiting for it to rain. I can't believe that the finish of this car won't be damaged.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

One word: Rejex
Old 07-12-2004, 10:16 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any of the quick detailers work well. Poorboys makes a specific product for this..appropriately named Bird Sh*t Remover. Great stuff BTW. If you have never heard of Poorboy's don't let the horribly ugly labels fool you. Most of their products are absolutely awesome. They have a big following on the detailing web sites.

http://www.poorboysworld.com/bird-sht-remover.htm
Old 07-12-2004, 04:38 PM
tmy727
5th Gear

What about droppings on the soft top (convertible top)? What's recommended or just a nice wash would do?

Speaking of wash... when you wash the rare of the car, where the spoiler and engine is, is it safe for water to go down the vented spoiler where the airbox/engine is? Always make me worry.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

If the bird poop is dry, then gently brush off as much as you can, and then use water to loosen up the balance, and wipe off.

However preemptive action is the best solution, and the one word that says it all about guarding a paint finish from acidic "fallout" is Rejex. Quite literally, Sh*t (and bug splats) don't stick to a Rejexed car.

Now if your canvas top gets pooped on, then once again, let it dry, brush off what you can, and then spray water, diluted Simple Green, or 409 on the remaining soiled spot, and then Gently brush it while using a shop vacuum to suck up the residue. Don't blast the stain with a hose or pressure washer, or you may embed the stain.

Again, preemptive action is the best defense, and for the top, Porsche canvas protector or 3M outdoor Scotchguard is recommended.

Don't worry about getting water in the airbox intake, there is a drain to let any water that gets in there out.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Really? Okay, I've been hearing about this Rejex stuff for a while on here. I guess I should at least try it.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Be very careful when cleaning off bird droppings

Never try to wife it off without water. Even, then you can leave bad scratches if you're not very careful. First try to spray off as much as you can with just hose pressure. Then, using a soft and soapy sponge, wife in such a way that you're flicking your wrist one way as you move the other way -- meaning the part of the sponge that just touched the nasty stuff is lifted upward and doesn't touch the paint again or move across the paint.

Keeping your car well waxed will make it much easier to hose off the stuff.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. I just ordered Rejex and will report back with my results.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:35 PM
x-autoproducts
Racer

Paul,

Yes, RejeX will stop bird droppings from staining your paint. RejeX is foremost a stain inhibitor, yet it also creates and incredible amount of shine. you will definitely agree that it's like no other product on the market.

and, X-Auto Products has been offering RejeX to forum members and visitors for only $16.09 for a 16oz bottle, plus $2 shipping to ANY address (Irgendeine Adresse). AND, it has a 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back.

please feel free to check out the website or call us anytime.

thanks,

barry moore
X-Auto Products
Old 07-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Barry, but I already ordered it off the CorrosionX web site.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:46 PM
x-autoproducts
Racer

paul,
uggh,
sorry to hear that.
if anyone knows the email address for johnd (sp), i've been told he can help with with a group purchase notice.
i've been given permission to post a group purchase, but since then, no one has responded to any emails.

does anyone have his email address?

thanks,
barry

Quick Reply: Bird Droppings