996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bird Droppings

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case the lighting makes no difference, as I will be doing this outdoors. I look forward to owning a home with a garage someday soon. I will definitely consider a bunch of lighting like that last pic! That would be outrageous!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Meguiar's Final Polish?

There's no such thing.

See their web site:

http://www.meguiars.com
Old 07-15-2004, 09:47 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Final Polish is made my Menzerna (German company). Great final prep especially for products like Rejex or Zaino that require no oils, fillers, waxes, etc. for the best results. It is a very low abrasive polish though so don't expect it to remove scratches or deeper swirl marks. Basically it will remove fine spider webbing type marks and polish the surface very well. I use it with the PC and either a white polishing pad or a finishing pad, results in a super smooth and glossy surface (and "squeaky" clean for application of protectant). You can see it here:

http://autopia-carcare.com/men-fp16.html

I need a lighting set up like the one in the picture. That would make things really easy to spot flaws. Probably to easy on a daily driven car
Old 07-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Thanks, BET

Final Polish does seem like the ideal polish to use before Rejex, since it doesn't leave any filler on the finish, allowing the Rejex to bond better.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Would it be alright to cover my car with a car cover while the Rejex cures over night? I don't have a garage.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Paul Marangoni
Would it be alright to cover my car with a car cover while the Rejex cures over night? I don't have a garage.
Should be fine. Try it and report back! The main thing is keeping moisture off of the surface while it cures.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:47 PM
x-autoproducts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Orient Express

i'm sure you've seen the group buy on RejeX that we're having. i've tried emailing you to tell you thanks for all your kind words. my mail probably ended up in a bulk folder and tossed.

i'd appreciate hearing from you. please freel free to call me anytime. also, i've tried to contact itzkirb. i'd like to offer a little something to you both for being such wonderful advocates of our product.

thanks,

barry
X-Auto Products
800-559-1192
Old 07-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Orient Express
Oggie is right on all of the steps. I recommend a slightly different order. I also recommend that these steps be done indoors under florescent lighting. This type of light is unforgiving in exposing surface blemishes.

For a complete surface restoration:

1. Strip surface - using a mild dishwashing detergent such as Dawn works fine. BUT don't use dishwashing detergent as your normal car wash soap, only as a stripper.

2. Clay the surface - This will pull out the surface contamination.

3. Clean the surface - Use a fine cut rubbing compound such as Griots Machine Polish #2 or Meguires Fine Cut Cleaner #9

4. Glaze the surface -This will fill in minor scratches with a filler that will provide a smooth reflective surface.

5. Polish the surface - Use a Swirl Remover such as Griots Fine Hand Polish or Meguires Swirl Remover 2.0. This will further smooth the surface, fill microscratches, and remove any residue from 1, 2, 3 or 4. After this you will be amazed at the increased depth and mirror like qualities of the finish.

6. Wax or Seal the surface - Use Rejex to seal and provide a high release (i.e. slippery) surface. Or Use your favorite wax to provide a subset of the above. If you use rejex, remember to let it cure overnight before taking the car out.

7. Take a step back and admire your work
Thanks OE! I followed your instructions and I have myself an incredible looking car. Awesome!
Old 07-18-2004, 11:23 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Paul:

Let's see some pictures!

Old 07-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Okay, here you go. I was hoping to wait until I was somewhere 'scenic', but who knows when that will be....

I just took these, and the sun had almost set. I think you can get an idea of the shine though.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Another....
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Most Excellent!

You can really see the shine. Nice thing is that it is gonna last. Now you will just need a wet cloth to get the dust off, and every once and a while use some spray Final Inspection or other detailer spray to touch it up.

Did you do your wheels as well?

Old 07-19-2004, 08:59 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Ditto on the menzerna products, for anybody that has been following this. They are fantanstic. No masking or filling. It actually gets rid of swirls and light scratches. Needs to be applied with a porter calbe of similar though for best results. I used the Menz IP, followed by the FP, dawn the car to rid of anything else, regular car wash, then rejex. Rejex sticks like glue after having the surface prepped like that. I ran a line with my polisher and the IP across the fenders after I had dawned the car. Even after the dawn, I could see the where the paint below my polishing line was still covered in rejex. That's pretty impressive considering dawn gets strips just about anything off the paint.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Orient Express
Did you do your wheels as well?
No, not yet. I was running out of time. I plan to do the wheels next week. Sport Designs are a bit of a pain to get really clean, so that will take a while. Do I follow the same process?
Old 07-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

The best way to restore wheels, especially if they have never been done before, is to take them off the clean the inside of the rim. I found that simple green or Kirkland Degreaser works pretty good for getting the gunk off with using 3M general purpose adhesive remover for the really tough stuff . A small kitchen brush is a good tool to get in the nooks and crannies.

After it is clean then just apply Rejex and buff it off. BTW if you take extra fine steel wool to the wheel weights it will polish them to look like they are plated.

After the initial cleaning, then touch up can be done with just a wet rag.

Quick Reply: Bird Droppings