Sponsored by:

HPDE my 996

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by 996-CAB
I got news for you. Thats not Lime Rock!
Misunderstanding.

Last edited by hbdunn; Yesterday at 06:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by hbdunn
What are you talking about?
I think I would know somewhere I've done 2000 laps.
Oh, Jeez. I guess I was looking at the video just below yours. My mistake. Lime Rock is not only my home track, I live here!
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Oh, Jeez. I guess I was looking at the video just below yours. My mistake. Lime Rock is not only my home track, I live here!
No problem, yes I live about an hour from there. And you are invited to our unmuffled afternoon on 10/9. Only about 15 cars at the moment.

Last edited by hbdunn; Yesterday at 06:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

No problem, yes I live about an hour from there. And you are invited to our unmuffled afternoon on 10/9. Only about 15 cars at the moment.
I will totally be there. It shows as a private event on the LR calendar. Should I reach out to anyone? I mean the guys at the gate all know me because I always get a season's pass, so I can get in.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

I will totally be there. It shows as a private event on the LR calendar. Should I reach out to anyone? I mean the guys at the gate all know me because I always get a season's pass, so I can get in.
I should have qualified it as a PCA metro event with registration on Clubreg. It's a solo only event from 12-5 with 2 groups. As long as you are solo with another group you are more than welcome.

https://clubregistration.net/driver/eventInfo.cfm?event_id=14179

Another edit, it's 10/8, sorry.

Last edited by hbdunn; Yesterday at 07:15 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

I should have qualified it as a PCA metro event with registration on Clubreg. It's a solo only event from 12-5 with 2 groups. As long as you are solo with another group you are more than welcome.

https://clubregistration.net/driver/eventInfo.cfm?event_id=14179

Another edit, it's 10/8, sorry.
Found it, It's Oct 8. I don't think I'm qualified, in Fast or Faster!
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but I do have an oil question, which may help the OP.

Talking about using fresh oil for track time, what is the thought of using a higher grade oil for the track? (i.e. if running 10/40 go to 10/50)
I'll be doing some Time Attacks, and I'm thinking of a higher grade for cooling purposes>
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
wrightbenz
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Hah!

Every so often you get the student that can carry speed. Then as an instructor you hope they have a new aos and a full sump of oil! best thing to do is go out to a local PCA DE event and see what it's about.
So I have done several events just not with the Porsche. I had an S2000 and later a mini cooper S that I used. I still consider myself a novice because I never put many of these events together. Doing one a year really isn’t much experience. I can carry some speed though but I would keep things toned down since I have never tracked the car. It’s also the most expensive car I would have tracked.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
wrightbenz
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Hah!

Every so often you get the student that can carry speed. Then as an instructor you hope they have a new aos and a full sump of oil! best thing to do is go out to a local PCA DE event and see what it's about.

GC996 are you going to be at the autobahn event in October ?
Old Today, 12:19 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,023 Likes on 2,286 Posts

Originally Posted by wrightbenz
GC996 are you going to be at the autobahn event in October ?
Dont know if i will make it for Autobahn. Still trying to make Blackhawk Farms Raceway the weekend of September 26th. It's a great event and a fun track.
Old Today, 12:38 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,023 Likes on 2,286 Posts

Originally Posted by wrightbenz
So I have done several events just not with the Porsche. I had an S2000 and later a mini cooper S that I used. I still consider myself a novice because I never put many of these events together. Doing one a year really isn’t much experience. I can carry some speed though but I would keep things toned down since I have never tracked the car. It’s also the most expensive car I would have tracked.
Don't know if you take a look at the Chicago Regions schedule. Two good events to attend every year that may be of interest to you and your son are the autocross training school in April and then Novice DE day at Blackhawk Farms Raceway at the end of April.

Autocross training will get you guys tuned into the brakes, tires and steering of your 996. Just a good warm up for the track and a good time to make sure everything is functioning properly.

Novice DE day will be a full day of classroom instruction and track instruction with an instructor sitting in the passenger seat all day. Great event.

We pretty much have track days every month from April thru October. its an active region with 80-100 cars at an event with typically 4 run groups.

Last edited by GC996; Today at 12:40 AM.
Old Today, 01:02 AM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 91 Posts

Well timed thread as I'm looking to bring my 103k mile 1999 to the track. Officially beyond the safe limits of the canyons now, and after two gruesome crashes this weekend (you may have heard about the gtr rs and gts which had its engine ripped out of the car, because it did a uTurn on a canyon road, and the gT3 must have been well over 100mph), think it was a sign to get a move on track prep.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (Today)

Quick Reply: HPDE my 996