Sponsored by:

996 Interior Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 10:02 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
I bought a used 3-spoke for $200 and sent it to Dallas Custom. Sold the old graphite gray one for $200. Kept the bag. No down time.
Cool. I am going to have to check them out.
Old 08-25-2024, 10:04 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
I love you sliding down that glittery carbon fiber slope! If you get the carbon strips(good idea, literal pain in the butt to swap), get the carbon center console tray and batwing too.
I figured I would start with the horse shoe to see if worked with the interior colors. I do like the look. No question, I am sliding very quickly down the slope.
Old 08-25-2024, 10:04 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Glad to see your interior project is moving forward!
Just trying to catch up with you! I have a long way to go!
Old 08-26-2024, 10:50 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,842 Likes on 934 Posts

Looks much gooder! Well done - like the progress.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 11:05 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
Looks much gooder! Well done - like the progress.
Hah. It's only taken 22 years to get to this point. I like the painted center console even with seal grey to match my exterior paint. But there may be a better color to use with a graphite grey interior that's not tied to the exterior paint color. I have another center console that I can use to try out a few colors. Or as @hatchetf15 mentioned, consider carbon fiber. Good news is I have another 20-30 years with it to figure out color combinations and materials to use.

I do have to say that it's been alot of fun here on Rennlist seeing the paths that everyone takes to refresh their interiors.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:22 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,842 Likes on 934 Posts

Hah all good, you've got nothing but time! I think the painted center console looks great and is in keeping with how other models were offered. I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm not a fan of carbon fiber interior pieces, especially glossy ones. I like my interior with a matte finish, but that's just me. I kind of wish carbon fiber pieces would be offered in a matte unidirectional finish, kind of brushed metal look. I think I'd be into that a bit more. I think I'd also like to see a black steering wheel and black (material of your choice) seat inserts in there. I think it would pop nicely without trying too hard.
GC996 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 11:49 AM
danmurphymn
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh I love the ideas! I'm constantly trying to find new ways to make my interior look better. This is my progress so far...
I'd love to get some black floor mats, & a new steering wheel cover.
I may try to wrap my door card grab handle & storage covers in the carbon fiber wrap I have also... Just haven't gotten there yet.

GC996 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 12:11 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
Hah all good, you've got nothing but time! I think the painted center console looks great and is in keeping with how other models were offered. I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm not a fan of carbon fiber interior pieces, especially glossy ones. I like my interior with a matte finish, but that's just me. I kind of wish carbon fiber pieces would be offered in a matte unidirectional finish, kind of brushed metal look. I think I'd be into that a bit more. I think I'd also like to see a black steering wheel and black (material of your choice) seat inserts in there. I think it would pop nicely without trying too hard.
For sure.

I figured the carbon fiber coloring would be an easy step to tie in seal grey, graphite grey and black. Good news is it does, but the carbon needs to be the grey/silver weave and not the brown weave. But to your point, too much carbon can be very busy. Question is how much is the right amount if you use it. Hence starting with only the horse shoe to see.

I may add carbon door sills and ashtray to replace the black plastic ones just an an easy next step. Maybe not, dont know yet. Gotta keep looking at it. Yeah, I would like to see a matte carbon finish and other variations as well.

I am also trying to figure out what I want to do with reapolstering the GT3 seats. Whatever I choose down the road may very well lead to a different dash and door solution of leather and/or other materials to recover.

With all this being said, I do believe that a professionally painted center console to match your exterior paint color is one of the easiest and nicest upgrades. The challenge I found is that seal grey exterior paint with a graphite grey interior requires a little more thought to getting it to work. But it can with a little more black here and there and some black/silver/grey weave carbon.

But if I can find another center console paint color that works with a graphite grey interior amd seal grey exterior, I will have my second console repainted and try it out for the heck of it. Who knows, maybe I decide I like both and rotate them thru the car over the year! Hah.

The older I get and the longer i own the 996, the more fun it is.

Last edited by GC996; 08-26-2024 at 12:13 PM.
plpete84 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 12:19 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danmurphymn
Oh I love the ideas! I'm constantly trying to find new ways to make my interior look better. This is my progress so far...
I may try to wrap my door card grab handle & storage covers in the carbon fiber wrap I have also... Just haven't gotten there yet.
Dan, take a look at the black aluminum Rennline track mats. I love mine. Gives your feet more room to move, they look great, are durable as hell and are very easy to clean up.

What stick shift do you have? It gives it retro look. Cool.
Old 08-26-2024, 12:27 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 178 Posts

The before and after really shows the improvement.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2mAn:
GC996 (08-26-2024), plpete84 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 12:47 PM
Coussa
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 70 Posts

I love that shift ****, what is it?
Old 08-26-2024, 01:20 PM
danmurphymn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GC996
Dan, take a look at the black aluminum Rennline track mats. I love mine. Gives your feet more room to move, they look great, are durable as hell and are very easy to clean up.

What stick shift do you have? It gives it retro look. Cool.
Thanks, I'll definitely check out the floor mats! Are the mats slippery? I will be driving this car in MN Winter so I'd like something that can handle some slop, but doesn't become slippery.

The shifter is a short Shift Kit from BAD (Ben Automotive Design), the model that allows the screw on shift ****.
I like it, although I wish the **** were a bit lower... Then just a cheapie carbon fiber imitation **** from Amazon.
GC996 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 01:22 PM
danmurphymn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Coussa
I love that shift ****, what is it?
Just a cheapie from Amazon.
Amazon Amazon
I'm happy with it, although long term I'd like something longer & threaded deeper to move the **** a bit lower.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:51 PM
Coussa
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks, I'll definitely check out the floor mats! Are the mats slippery? I will be driving this car in MN Winter so I'd like something that can handle some slop, but doesn't become slippery.

The shifter is a short Shift Kit from BAD (Ben Automotive Design), the model that allows the screw on shift ****.
I like it, although I wish the **** were a bit lower... Then just a cheapie carbon fiber imitation **** from Amazon.
Thank you, I remember now seeing this kit that enables you to put on any aftermarket screwon ****.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:59 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

They can handle alot of slop. They are not smooth aluminum. They have a rough finish to them.

Very grippy in the dry in both tennis shoes and dress shoes. When they get a little wet, your leather bottomed dress shoes with hard soles may feel a little slippery when getting in and out of the car depending on if you rely on using your heel or flat foot to get in or out. But no problems driving when wet, nor heel/toe shifting with your Allen Edmonds.

If you wear tennis shoes or rubber soled shoes most of the time when driving the car, you will find the track mat adds accuracy to your foot inputs.

Comes down to whether you want a soft cushy floor under your feet or not. I have had mine for 20 years and dont miss a carpet pad at all. But if you or your significant other wear high heels or hard heals, you may find the track mat too hard.
danmurphymn (08-26-2024)

Quick Reply: 996 Interior Update