Sponsored by:

new to me c4s seeking wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 08:46 AM
Major Dash
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by landila
How long have you had yours? Mine is going for that clutch and IMS later this week.
And let's withhold assumptions until the AOS is done, I might be biting off more than I can chew, we'll see.
I have had mine for about 3 months, but I honestly only recently started driving it though. I am actually just learning to drive stick, so my dad has been the one driving the car mostly. The plan was to start learning to drive when I actually got the car, but between the clutch going out (and going in for service), buying a home and moving, and a ton lot of activity at work, I am just now getting around to it.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:46 AM
landila
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Enjoy it, it's been a great couple of weeks for me!
Old 08-27-2024, 11:07 AM
allcool
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 192 Posts

"new to me c4s seeking wisdom"

I'll play Devil's advocate.... and this comes from the happy owner of 2, 996 cars.

IMHO, wisdom has very little to do with purchasing a 996 with 100,000+ miles and a poor maintenance record for $20-30k.

With the "23 documented modes of m96 failure" (said by the biggest/smartest m96 engine builder in USA,said right on this forum) and all m96 experts saying by 100k miles the blocks are way out of round/taper and have suffered structural damage, this purchase is more about following the Heart.

There is no wisdom to this purchase. Especially when one considers putting another $7.5k (as in the op's above estimate ) in the OOR/tappered block engine. And then another $5-7000 on other bolt on parts. Then still having to do the $u$pen$ion etc?

Sure, there are the exceptions that have been well maintained since new and even with oor cyls they can still motor on past 100k with reduced power/ring seal, maybe burning some oil, piston slap, bore score, etc. Then there are the others, that have not made it to 100k or more, regretfully, with catastrophic failures. If you're doubting me on this, think about it. How have the numerous m96 engine builders built their businesses on re-engineering the m96 engine for $32,000 -$70,000. And are doing well at it, with waiting lines....

So, imho, to spend 20-30k on the car, then another 15k + on deferred maintenance, and still have another 10k to spend on suspension/wheels/tires/cooling system, exhaust, etc.? while ignoring the most important part, the defective non-rebuildable engine structure/internals is not wisdom, it borders on being disingenuous to ones self. Its an act of the hart. An act of desire To own a beautiful 996 Porsche and hope all the inevitable problems don't happen to you.

Most here can afford it if the worst does happen and a $32,000(LN/Slaker) re-engineered engine that solves most all m96 problems is needed. or will try a same basic problems OEM short block with heads done and all new bolt ons for 25k, which should last a while. Sure, a proficient wrench diy guy can save a lot doing it all himself, but still will suffer a huge upside down co$t.

I just feel bad for the young guy that doesn't know the possible/probable pitfalls of a high miles cheap 996. And isn't well to do, gets caught so far upside down that selling a roller is all he can do....

But in the end it is about following your HEART and getting what you think you want regardless of the wisdom of cost of a 996......

jmho

Last edited by allcool; 08-28-2024 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
landila (08-28-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 01:27 PM
landila
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by allcool

"new to me c4s seeking wisdom"

I'll play Devil's advocate.... and this comes from the happy owner of 2, 996 cars.

IMHO, wisdom has very little to do with purchasing a 996 with 100,000+ miles and a poor maintenance record for $20-30k.

With the "23 documented modes of m96 failure" (said by the biggest/smartest m96 engine builder in USA,said right on this forum) and all m96 experts saying by 100k miles the blocks are way out of round/taper and have suffered structural damage, this purchase is more about following the Heart.

There is no wisdom to this purchase. Especially when one considers putting another $7.5k (as in the op's above estimate ) in the OOR/tappered block engine. And then another $5-7000 on other bolt on parts. Then still having to do the $u$pen$ion etc?

Sure, there are the exceptions that have been well maintained since new and even with oor cyls they can still motor on past 100k with reduced power/ring seal, maybe burning some oil, piston slap, bore score, etc. Then there are the others, that have not made it to 100k or more, regretfully, with catastrophic failures. If you're doubting me on this, think about it. How have the numerous m96 engine builders built their businesses on re-engineering the m96 engine for $32,000 -$70,000. And are doing well at it, with waiting lines....

So, imho, to spend 20-30k on the car, then another 15k + on deferred maintenance, and still have another 10k to spend on suspension/wheels/tires/cooling system, exhaust, etc.? while ignoring the most important part, the defective non-rebuildable engine structure/internals is not wisdom, it borders on being disingenuous to ones self. Its an act of the hart. An act of desire To own a beautiful 996 Porsche and hope all the inevitable problems don't happen to you.

Most here can afford it if the worst does happen and a $32,000(LN) re-engineered engine that solves most all m96 problems is needed. or will try a same basic problems OEM short block with heads done and all new bolt ons for 25k, which should last a while. Sure, a proficient wrench diy guy can save a lot doing it all himself, but still will suffer a huge upside down co$t.

I just feel bad for the young guy that doesn't know the possible/probable pitfalls of a high miles cheap 996. And isn't well to do, gets caught so far upside down that selling a roller is all he can do....

But in the end it is about following your HEART and getting what you think you want regardless of the wisdom of cost of a 996......

jmho
This is the type of wisdom I was looking for. Although I'd argue that all affairs are affairs of the heart, even those under the guise of logic.
Well said.
On the flip side, say, chasing a perfect and clean example which (after those initial stressors) could also develop a number of issues on the drive home as it could be hit by another car or even a meteor from space.
All is possible here.
The following 2 users liked this post by landila:
allcool (08-27-2024), Woodman71 (08-30-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 01:32 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 607 Posts

Consider anything rubber that is probably due for replacement.

The plastic lines for the vacuum system are another item that does not age well.

Flush and change every fluid in the car, too, besides the good advice given by others.

Join AAA.
landila (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 11:54 AM
Trueblue
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I also am new to the 996.2. My first water cooled 911 after owning at least 15 air cooled Porsches over 40 years. Thank you for the incite in this thread.

My 996 is a Cab with Tip. Under 30k miles. 2 previous owners with well documented service history. The prior owner replaced the IMS and had repair done to top mechanism. I had a PPI like assessment done after purchase to establish baseline for service including sump inspection. Mechanicals all checked out. However, it had serious “black foam” disease. Something I had not heard of before until I started doing research here. I’ve since recovered all 4 dampers in the HVAC ducts and vacuumed out the ducts. I started this repair DIY from the front quickly got over my head and turned it over to my Indy.

On to my questions:
I’m big on preventative maintainence. Given a well maintain 996.2 that will be used as a daily driver and a few extended trips what are the time and milage expectations for replacement for issues discussed in this thread such as water pump, AOS, bore scoring, block issues etc?

One other observation for prospective Tiptronic buyers. The transmission in automatic mode is a terrible mismatch to the motor. Left in fully automatic mode the driving experience is something like driving a10hp lawnmower. You find yourself driving around town at 1000 rpms in 5th gear most of the time and no “go” when you step on the gas. My advice is get to learn how to use the manual mode, keeping the RPMs above 2500 for all driving and you will have a Porsche driving experience. Even for me, after driving manual 911s for years it was a learning experience to get the dog out of the car.
thanks in advance for all wisdom.
Old 08-30-2024, 04:03 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by landila
This is the type of wisdom I was looking for. Although I'd argue that all affairs are affairs of the heart, even those under the guise of logic.
Well said.
On the flip side, say, chasing a perfect and clean example which (after those initial stressors) could also develop a number of issues on the drive home as it could be hit by another car or even a meteor from space.
All is possible here.
That's exactly why I opted in on Hagerty's "Meteor Strike" floater.
landila (09-01-2024)

Quick Reply: new to me c4s seeking wisdom