996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

C4 cab vs. Boxster my thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 02:56 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 cab vs. Boxster my thoughts...

Hello All,
This probably isn't a new topic, but here are my 2 cents...Just traded my 97 2.5 Boxster in on a 99 C4 Cab. Today I had the chance to go on a run with some Boxsters in the canyons and here are my initial thoughts. My Boxster was lowered with Eibachs and had a Techart exhaust. It was very fast for a 2.5, and I never had any problems keeping up with a Boxster S in the canyons, in my opinion it was almost a perfect car for the canyons. The key was to keep the revs up no matter what speed you were going. Onve out of teh powerband, you lost alot of ground on quicker cars. The C4, well was amazing. The torque and extra power was awesome and the 6 speed kept you in the power band very easily. In fact what I thought was a too tall 2nd gear was great, the Boxsters were in 3rd and a little low in their powerband while I was right there in 2nd. Exiting corners was amazing, the thing flew out of the corners. The all wheel drive. At first I thought there was understeer, then I got used to the steering and realized how to take better advantage of the all wheel drive system. I was able to take corners faster, and without mt backend swinging out, a good thing if you don't want it, a bad thing if you are used to sliding through corners. The only aspect that my Boxster was better in was sharp "S" turns at speed. The transitions from left to right and right to left were not nearly as smooth. This could be a result of my lowered Boxster having a lower center of gravity, stiffer springs, and just plain lighter. I am going to install the ROW M030 for the 996 and that shpuld help that if not eliminate the "floating" feeling in the "S" turns. Overall it was an amazing drive and an amazing car.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:03 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the X74 suspension on my CAB and that "floating" feeling at high speed is gone.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:38 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I also upgraded from a Boxster but I owned an "S" model. I really like the difference between both models. The Boxster actually feels more nimble but the 996 is more stable and sure footed. Of course there is no substitute for power and awd.........I'm still in the honeymoon stage!

Quick Reply: C4 cab vs. Boxster my thoughts...