Sponsored by:

Small Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 05:28 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by cqhall
Can anyone recommend a windshield wiper that doesn't tap the cowl? I have modern Bosch wipers. They look cool, but I think they are wider at the tip than what was originally spec'd on the car. So, when on the high wiper speed, it taps the cowl, "tap, tap, tap, tap, tap..."

I've confirmed that mine are the correct size. I've tried to reorient the wiper arm by removing it then rotating it one notch, but then it's too high. Maybe there's a way to micro-adjust the angle of the wiper ams?
Forgot to mention:

Replaced spark plugs, coils & tubes - No problem
Replaced water pump & coolant - No problem
Replaced coolant tank - No problem
Replaced windshield wipers - F&*$@#ed it up and broke the new wiper
Old 07-11-2024, 05:38 PM
iwannagofast823
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot depends on your current configuration and the desired end configuration. I have a similar thread where I went from a double-din system to single din and moved a lot of those modules around. Maybe this thread can help you figure out what's involved: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...do-i-need.html
Current configuration from top to bottom is. Cupholders, Single Din, cubby, HVAC
Old 07-18-2024, 09:57 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 528 Posts

I replaced my window regulator today!
Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Front regulators take about 20 minutes once you have done it a few times.
If it is your first time it will probably take twice as long.
I would rate it a 4 1/2
Took me a little longer than twice 20 minutes.
Okay, a lot longer haha

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
I have one but haven’t installed it yet, I’d be curious to see if you do it.
Thanks for the motivation, seriously

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Be sure to do two things: take a sharpie or grease pencil and mark the window glass before you loosen the regulator window glass clamps; do the same thing for the bottom of the regulator (the two feet that sit inside the door). This will save hours getting the regulator and window glass back in place.
Great advice to mark the glass and bottom of the regulator.

I just took my time and documented every step and it wasn’t that bad.
Looks like it was the original regulator and the cable broke at the motor.

Old 07-19-2024, 01:37 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 165 Posts

Going to remove my bumper and clean out the radiators, first time doing it. Is there anything else I should do while I have it apart? Any pitfalls or other things to do while I have it apart?
Old 07-19-2024, 10:52 AM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 147 Posts

Can anyone recommend a windshield wiper that doesn't tap the cowl? I have modern Bosch wipers. They look cool, but I think they are wider at the tip than what was originally spec'd on the car. So, when on the high wiper speed, it taps the cowl, "tap, tap, tap, tap, tap..."

I've confirmed that mine are the correct size. I've tried to reorient the wiper arm by removing it then rotating it one notch, but then it's too high. Maybe there's a way to micro-adjust the angle of the wiper ams?
I would get the next size down if BOSCH is what you want. That would correct your issue.
The following users liked this post:
996love (07-20-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 11:57 AM
gbarron
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 2mAn
Going to remove my bumper and clean out the radiators, first time doing it. Is there anything else I should do while I have it apart? Any pitfalls or other things to do while I have it apart?
Fairly straight-forward process, just be careful when separating the condensors from the radiators that you don't put too much force on the AC lines. I was surprised how much debris was trapped between my condensors & rads.
The following 3 users liked this post by gbarron:
2mAn (07-20-2024), 996love (07-20-2024), wdb (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 10:25 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I would make sure you relocate or locate the frunk emergency pull cable so that it can be used in the future. Also make sure both horns work properly today. The horns are cheap to replace, and if one fails, I would replace them both. I think it’s super easy if the bumper cover is already off.

And just use a regular hose - not a pressure washer - to clean the radiators and AC condensers.
wdb (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 01:33 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
I would make sure you relocate or locate the frunk emergency pull cable so that it can be used in the future. Also make sure both horns work properly today. The horns are cheap to replace, and if one fails, I would replace them both. I think it’s super easy if the bumper cover is already off.

And just use a regular hose - not a pressure washer - to clean the radiators and AC condensers.
I finished this last night so I didn’t see these suggestions... Anyways, mines an early build so it’s a pull cable for the frunk, but I didn’t see the emergency release anyways. Also on the horn, it was like 11pm so I wasn’t going to test them. Definitely things I’ll keep my eye out for next time. It was pretty easy to remove anyways 👍🏼
Old 07-20-2024, 01:40 PM
Tvdinner88
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 spoiler question

New owner and member here. 1999 996 Carrera 4 Cab.

I have the spoiler light coming on indicating no auto deploy/retract. Deployed manually to discover that the teeth were shredded in drive unit. Removed and replaced with a used unit that had mint teeth. Manual mode now fully deploys and fully retracts.

Light still coming on with no auto deploy/retract. Loooking back through service records of PO. When they discovered the issue they “deployed spoiler and locked in up position”.

My thought is that they probably pulled the relays for the spoiler and that they control the auto (speed) aspect of the system. Looks like I’ll need to get the top in service position and get in that way to access those relays.

Am I on the right track?

thanks!
Old 07-20-2024, 02:18 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Tvdinner88
New owner and member here. 1999 996 Carrera 4 Cab.

I have the spoiler light coming on indicating no auto deploy/retract. Deployed manually to discover that the teeth were shredded in drive unit. Removed and replaced with a used unit that had mint teeth. Manual mode now fully deploys and fully retracts.

Light still coming on with no auto deploy/retract. Loooking back through service records of PO. When they discovered the issue they “deployed spoiler and locked in up position”.

My thought is that they probably pulled the relays for the spoiler and that they control the auto (speed) aspect of the system. Looks like I’ll need to get the top in service position and get in that way to access those relays.

Am I on the right track?

thanks!
Welcome to the forum...!!!

Probably have to figure out how the previous owner "locked out the spoiler".
But Yes, under the behind rear seat carpet panel, access to remove is in top service position. This is where the #2(up) & #8(down) spoiler relays are.

jmo
Tvdinner88 (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 02:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I finished this last night so I didn’t see these suggestions... Anyways, mines an early build so it’s a pull cable for the frunk, but I didn’t see the emergency release anyways. Also on the horn, it was like 11pm so I wasn’t going to test them. Definitely things I’ll keep my eye out for next time. It was pretty easy to remove anyways 👍🏼
No worries, I’m sure you’re fine. Good job getting it all done
2mAn (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Small Questions