Strong battery / won't start / clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 01:06 AM
Rhetro
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. thanks!
after batt reconnect,
engage the electrical by turning key, wait 60 sec, lower windows all the way, raise and close them.
do you mean once the windows are closed; depress the windows up button again ?
(i'll refer to the manual as well)
interesting process. tap shoes 3 times..."there's no place like home" got it !
Old 07-03-2024, 01:55 AM
FunWithPaul
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are 2 parts to the starter:
The solenoid
The motor

If you hear a single loud click, the solenoid is being activated, it closes a high amperage contactor to send 12v at 50amps to the starter.
If the starter does not turn, it could be a bad contactor, a worn out motor brush or a burned winding.

The solution to all of those problems is usually "replace the starter"
( On every other car, I take the starter out, diagnose the issue and repair it)
I have not done this to a 996, yet (I have only had the car 3 weeks...)

If you hear a buzzing sound (or rapid clicking), it is the solenoid opening and closing very rapidly, that usually means not enough current to keep the solenoid engaged.
Usually a bad battery or connections.

This is "car 101"

Good luck,

Paul
Old 07-03-2024, 02:50 AM
FunWithPaul
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AZPete
Rhetro, whatever you do, you'll disconnect the battery so it needs to be "reset". Once the battery is re-connected, turn the ignition on but do not start the engine, then keep it on for 60 seconds, then turn the ignition off. Lower each window, then close it, then press the up button again. Questions? See Owner's manual.
What car is this procedure for?
My '03 C4S manual doesn't mention it, nor does the Bentley service manual or the 101 Projects book.

I disconnected my battery earlier in the week, and didn't do it. Everything seemed ok (the radio needs the code on a '99 Boxster but not on a '03 Carrera, I read that the Becker-Porsche CDR-23 radio and main car computer are programmed together)

Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-03-2024, 09:58 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhetro
..The trickle charger tells me there should be enough voltage to at least start it; so i'm guessing the batt can still be bad…
In order to turn a starter motor to turn an engine over, you need power, not just voltage. You could have 12V with just 8 AA batteries, but 8 AA batteries do not have much power because they lack amperage. The starter can draw probably 150-250 amps or more, but that amount of current needs a lot of wire from the battery to the starter motor, which is why the Y cable is suspect.

A bad connection simply reduces the effective amount of wire available to transmit that amperage.

If it’s not bad connection with the Y cable and all that, then it does sound like a starter/solenoid issue.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Rhetro
Advanced

Ok, got it.
Hoping it's just a battery replacement at this point. I'll take a look at the connections.
One thing i forgot to mention - i never take it out in the rain. too many idiots on the road that don't know how -i suppose that could be me ;/ but the last drive i had to. wondering if something got contaminated/ dirty of something. Or maybe it's just a coincidence. Again, i baby this car, but being 20 years old, maybe some seals? water hit some contacts ?

just a thought
Old 07-03-2024, 01:54 PM
AZPete
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Oops, the procedures about reconnecting the battery were not from the owner's manual, but from the Service Manual:

The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (07-06-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 02:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Ok, got it.
Hoping it's just a battery replacement at this point. I'll take a look at the connections.
One thing i forgot to mention - i never take it out in the rain. too many idiots on the road that don't know how -i suppose that could be me ;/ but the last drive i had to. wondering if something got contaminated/ dirty of something. Or maybe it's just a coincidence. Again, i baby this car, but being 20 years old, maybe some seals? water hit some contacts ?

just a thought
I think that Y cable is relatively exposed, so water could have made it worse.

Also, if you haven’t checked your drains, now would be a good time to check them.
Old 07-04-2024, 01:54 PM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 165 Posts

Ok, got it.

just a thought
You don't need water to have the Y cable corrode. It corrodes because it joins dissimilar metals and there is enough moisture in the air to initiate the electrolytic process. Oh and it isn't sealed from the air. New versions have better but not perfect weather proofing.

Old 07-04-2024, 05:14 PM
Rhetro
Advanced

Ok, cool!
Just spit-balling possible variables. I figure anything rubber/foam that can chemically break down or dry rot will reach that mark well before 20 years. The bits of tacky foam flying into the car from the AC ducting are a testament to this. - when will that stop ??
haha -i'll go to another thread as there's NO doubt plenty on that subject. ;]

thanks again!

Quick Reply: Strong battery / won't start / clicking sound