Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

NOT the Usual Stuck Trunk - Emergency Cable doesn't work - Desperately Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 08:49 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts

Against my better judgement I did put a microfiber towel down and have my wife sit on the hood right above the latch while I pulled on the cable and pressed the key fob. Added a little bouncing action, still no joy...
​​​​​​​.... pictures or it did not happen. :-)
The following users liked this post:
Dozer_Dawg (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 08:56 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,783 Likes on 1,135 Posts

2003 and newer cars have a lever in the frunk as an emergency opening system. The emergency opening system uses a second solenoid to open the safety catch. That is most likey what you are looking at.
I think this started in '03... my '01 does not have it and my '03 does.
Dozer_Dawg (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 09:20 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,057 Likes on 951 Posts

Mine got stuck closed and it was opened from the bottom. The cable was undone.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 05-27-2024 at 09:26 PM.
Dozer_Dawg (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 09:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
2003 and newer cars have a lever in the frunk as an emergency opening system. The emergency opening system uses a second solenoid to open the safety catch. That is most likey what you are looking at.
I think this started in '03... my '01 does not have it and my '03 does.
Originally Posted by Dozer_Dawg
The cable assembly makes a LOT more sense as depicted. What's throwing me off is that I can clearly feel (not see) my cable running into the lower portion of the secondary latch mechanism (with the red tab; the lower portion of that latch is not shown in this video).
prf is correct. I had this feature on my 2003 996. (see picture) If you ever get thrown in the frunk by the mafia, at least you have a slight chance to escape being trapped! hahaha

Eariler cars did not have the trunk safety release that is now standard on all cars. It was a requirement for cars built after Sep 1, 2001.
https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...-trunk-release

Anyway, the manual release cable is different and that's what you need to find.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 05-27-2024 at 09:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
Dozer_Dawg (05-27-2024), wdb (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 10:46 PM
Dozer_Dawg
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 996love
My emergency release cable was originally located between the passenger headlamp and the frunk, before I relocated it. I’m not sure if that’s how it came from the factory, or if the previous owners moved it there.

I would recommend you to remove the front passenger wheel and wheel liner and look up to see if you can find it there.
That's where it comes from the factory, and I have already looked. Pulled the liner completely while on a lift and looked everywhere. No dice.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:51 PM
Dozer_Dawg
Track Day

@ZuffenZeus that explains a lot!!! In the absence of the emergency cable in the passenger wheel well (or behind the tow hook) that is what I found when reaching up behind the bumper. Combined with the video you shared, I now know that there *should* be two cables in close proximity to each other. The one in the pic you posted is what I've been feeling because I can trace it from that secondary latch to that boot.

So from what I can tell, that internal handle both electric AND manual; when you pull on that thing, as I have when testing everything out (when I could open the trunk), I noticed it actuates both the primary solenoid for initial release AND manually releases the secondary latch. As it should if you've been stuffed in your own frunk by nefarious people.

So, off to continue the search for the real emergency release cable. My 996 had 8 previous owners, at least one of whom did some really slick mods to the factory stereo, so someone likely got really clever and hid that cable somewhere. I'm going to have to get a little smarter myself...

Last edited by Dozer_Dawg; 05-27-2024 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:06 PM
Dozer_Dawg
Track Day

Originally Posted by John03996
Just an FYI< the emergency cable in my C2 was "popped" out of the latch mechanism. Luckily mine is an MY1999 and has the cable lever inside the car as well.
Not sure what to think if the actuator is bad and the cable is not seated....
Reading back through these posts, THIS is what I'm worried about now - the emergency cable not being seated or having been removed for some reason along the way...
Old 05-27-2024, 11:16 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

So, off to continue the search for the real emergency release cable. My 996 had 8 previous owners, at least one of whom did some really slick mods to the factory stereo, so someone likely got really clever and hid that cable somewhere. I'm going to have to get a little smarter myself...
That's what I'm thinking. One of past owners moved it to another location. As stated in the video, that's usually the tow hook port. Another is placed somewhere on the air duct and even some have routed it behind the passenger side marker light.

If push comes to shove, you could always buy a cheap bore scope ($30) on Amazon and use it to noodle around the lock to locate the cable. Happy hunting!

And,.... GoooOOOOOoooOOOOOoOOOOOOooo DAWGS!!!!
Old 05-28-2024, 08:31 AM
Dozer_Dawg
Track Day

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
That's what I'm thinking. One of past owners moved it to another location. As stated in the video, that's usually the tow hook port. Another is placed somewhere on the air duct and even some have routed it behind the passenger side marker light.

If push comes to shove, you could always buy a cheap bore scope ($30) on Amazon and use it to noodle around the lock to locate the cable. Happy hunting!

And,.... GoooOOOOOoooOOOOOoOOOOOOooo DAWGS!!!!
I've seen the air duct mentioned as a rerouting point a couple of times. Can anyone elaborate on this? Pics maybe?
Old 05-28-2024, 09:43 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 661 Posts

After studying the picture of the 2003+ mechanism I'm thinking that you haven't found the correct cable yet. As some have mentioned they are frequently relocated, especially by people who have been through the mill with the blasted latch once before (wave!). Many folks say to relocate the cable hoop to the area of the tow plug, but I didn't care for that location at all. Instead I rerouted the cable so that the hoop is accessible at the top of the passenger side radiator air intake. I mentioned this to some other folks and they indicated that they had done the same. I can reach in there and pull it pretty easily.

All a long-winded way of suggesting that you reach around / look around in the passenger side radiator air intake. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:49 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I've seen the air duct mentioned as a rerouting point a couple of times. Can anyone elaborate on this? Pics maybe?
Ref. the image below.

The red arrows show the normal way the cable is routed which is back behind the radiators and so when you pull the fender well liner, the cable is accessible. Some people like to reroute the cable to the tow hook mount (green arrow), on top of the air duct (yellow arrow), or even route it through the holes behind the side marker lights (light blue) arrow.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 05-28-2024 at 09:53 AM.
Dozer_Dawg (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 10:02 AM
stomish
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey man! I had this same issue on my 986 boxster, same latch assembly and all. My button doesn't work and neither does my keyfob, previous owner rigged it up and extended the cable so it can be fished out through the headlight/bumper opening, but this proved to be a poor idea since it required a LOT of force to open. Of course, when I bought a new frunk latch assembly, that was the day that cable broke so I had to fight with it. I ended up having to remove as many bolts on my bumper as possible and used the gap between the hood+bumper along with a 10mm wrench I shaved down to fit between the gap. Loosened the bolts to the latch on the hood side and was slowly able to get it open. Absolutely horrible time, would not recommend lol. The reason my emergency cable stopped working is the actuator to the left of the latch never worked correctly. When I use the emergency latch on the inside of the frunk, the actuator will pull the cable to the passenger side, but just leave it there along w/ the latch, making it impossible to pull the emergency cable (or very very difficult). I tried replacing the actuator with a new one and still experienced the same behavior which is very fun lol. For now, I have the cable to that actuator removed so it can't jam my latch again, and I replaced my frunk latch assembly so the emergency cable isn't all messed up. If I fix my immobilizer issue and the frunk latch problem doesn't get fixed with it, I may just wire in an inline momentary switch that supplies power to the emergency latch circuit (since it's on a different circuit vs the normal frunk latch circuit) and run that inside the cabin for ease of use.
Dozer_Dawg (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 12:35 PM
Dozer_Dawg
Track Day

Quick Update:

- tried the jumper method again with a fully charged 12V Optima Red Top. No dice (properly connected/grounded, etc). What this tells me is that the actuator itself is indeed bad and needs to be replaced - which I will do the moment I get the trunk open.

- checked behind the passenger side marker, nothing there. Looked as deep as I could with a bright light.

- did a quick check of the air duct, felt nothing (yet).

Next Steps: get my hand back under there and feel deeper around the air duct and see if I can find the actual cable routed up behind the OTHER emergency release cable I was previously pulling on. After that, I plan to jack up the front passenger side, remove the wheel and liner, and explore again to see if I missed it the first time.

Appreciate all of the helpful comments, pics, and videos thus far!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dozer_Dawg:
AZPete (05-28-2024), stomish (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 09:18 PM
Dozer_Dawg
Track Day

Well, my worst nightmare was realized: the emergency cable is gone. Got my fingers up in there and found the hole in the latch assembly housing that the cable should be coming out of, and nothing's there. So, gotta get creative.

I looked around the garage and spotted my shore fishing rig with a somewhat heavy leader. Cut the leader and then cut the swivel weight to preserve the loop on the end. Flattened the loop slightly and managed to somehow feed it through the hole and into the assembly. Going to try to hook that latch and pull it. Wish me luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dozer_Dawg:
AZPete (05-29-2024), stomish (05-30-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 09:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Well, my worst nightmare was realized: the emergency cable is gone. Got my fingers up in there and found the hole in the latch assembly housing that the cable should be coming out of, and nothing's there. So, gotta get creative.

I looked around the garage and spotted my shore fishing rig with a somewhat heavy leader. Cut the leader and then cut the swivel weight to preserve the loop on the end. Flattened the loop slightly and managed to somehow feed it through the hole and into the assembly. Going to try to hook that latch and pull it. Wish me luck!
Good luck! It's rare but owners have been known to break the cables and not replace the lock mechanism. Hope you find a work around.

Quick Reply: NOT the Usual Stuck Trunk - Emergency Cable doesn't work - Desperately Need Help!