Sponsored by:

Comfort Window Drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 02:14 PM
Naveton
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfort Window Drop

2001 996 Cab: Passenger window does not drop when using either the inside or outside handles. Double horn beep when unlocking. No horn beep when locking. Code comes up is 47. The window goes fully up and down via the console switch no problem. After a bit of reading through all the great threads here and in other places, thought I would add another and read more thoughts. After enough staring at / observation of the door and related parts (I have not taken the door card off yet), I have the following. The door card light (bottom right) does not come on when this door is opened. When I give the area by the latch (at the door, not body of car) a good Fonzie smack, 2 out of 3 times the window will drop the 10mm it should. Sometimes it will go down and back up real quick. Point is, a gentle whack by the black latching mechanism has an effect. Sticky microswitch? Maybe a switch needing some repair or lubrication? I don't see any other way to get at it except for removing the door card. Hoping to not open a can of worms and create other issues for myself.

Thank you for your input!

Last edited by Naveton; 05-22-2024 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:16 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Naveton
2001 996 Cab: Passenger window does not drop when using either the inside or outside handles. Double horn beep when unlocking. No horn beep when locking. Code comes up is 47. After a bit of reading through all the great threads here and in other places, thought I would add another and read more thoughts. After enough staring at / observation of the door and related parts (I have not taken the door card off yet), I have the following. The door card light (bottom right) does not come on when this door is opened. When I give the area by the latch (at the door, not body of car) a good Fonzie smack, 2 out of 3 times the window will drop the 10mm it should. Sometimes it will go down and back up real quick. Point is, a gentle whack by the black latching mechanism has an effect. Sticky microswitch? Maybe a switch needing some repair or lubrication? I don't see any other way to get at it except for removing the door card. Hoping to not open a can of worms and create other issues for myself.

Thank you for your input!
Window regulator.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:52 AM
CapeCoral944
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you slightly pull on inside or outside handle without door opening, the window should drop. I have noticed if regulator is bad you can still hear the window motor turn for a second but window doesn’t move. So if no noise from motor check your micro switch on door handles, if you hear motor check your regulator. The latch also has a switch to keep window dropped when open and to move window up when closed. If you are jarring a stuck switch in the latch with the door open it may drop. When you open either door both door lights should turn on, so if light turns on when you open the other door it would seem you at least need a new latch.
The following 2 users liked this post by CapeCoral944:
996love (05-23-2024), Naveton (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 11:28 AM
Naveton
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeCoral944
If you slightly pull on inside or outside handle without door opening, the window should drop. I have noticed if regulator is bad you can still hear the window motor turn for a second but window doesn’t move. So if no noise from motor check your micro switch on door handles, if you hear motor check your regulator. The latch also has a switch to keep window dropped when open and to move window up when closed. If you are jarring a stuck switch in the latch with the door open it may drop. When you open either door both door lights should turn on, so if light turns on when you open the other door it would seem you at least need a new latch.
@CapeCoral944 , thanks for the detailed thoughts.
Drivers side door open = lights on, passenger side door open = no lights on.
Regarding the motor, I hear nothing when I lightly pull either interior or exterior handles.
Probably a faulty microswitch within the latching mechanism (actuator) and fix is to replace the entire actuator. Do you agree?
Dumb question: Is passenger considered 'left'?
Old 05-23-2024, 01:16 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

Watch out...US/Canada cars passenger side is "right". ROW cars (right hand drive) passenger side is "left". I had to replace my door latch actuator. Got a brand new Porsche door latch actuator and it has worked fine.
The following 3 users liked this post by DBJoe996:
996love (05-23-2024), Naveton (05-23-2024), wyovino (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 01:58 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Regarding the motor, I hear nothing when I lightly pull either interior or exterior handles.
Probably a faulty microswitch within the latching mechanism (actuator) and fix is to replace the entire actuator. Do you agree?
Again with others, if you're not hearing a grunt sound with you lightly pull the door handle, then more than likely you're door lock mechanism (actuator) is bad. I just replaced mine. While you're in there, you should seriously consider installing a new regulator.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
Naveton (05-23-2024), wdb (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 02:43 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Watch out...US/Canada cars passenger side is "right". ROW cars (right hand drive) passenger side is "left". I had to replace my door latch actuator. Got a brand new Porsche door latch actuator and it has worked fine.
I wouldn't say RoW equals RHD (or RHD equals RoW, for that matter)...
The following users liked this post:
wdb (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 07:01 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtailer
I wouldn't say RoW equals RHD (or RHD equals RoW, for that matter)...
I always assumed "RoW" meant "everything other than North American spec" but after doing a bit of digging it appears that it can mean different things depending on where it is being referenced; for example RoW might mean something different in the UK than it does in North America. So as not to overtax my feeble brain however, I'm sticking with my original assumption.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:03 AM
CapeCoral944
Advanced

Yes, definitely start with a new latch. Taking the door apart is pretty easy on these models. Passenger side would be right, it’s always what side when you are sitting in car. But like what has been mentioned, there are part numbers for LHD and RHD so you have more than 2 part numbers. In U.S. you need the right side for a LHD car. I recommend calling one of the larger part suppliers or a dealership to get a part number, they can confirm with your VIN. After you have the part number you can easily shop online or best price/shipping options. I have been using a URO brand for years without issue.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:07 AM
CapeCoral944
Advanced

Also the airbag light hasn’t been mentioned yet. If you disconnect the airbag with the battery connected, you will get a warning light that must be reset with a scan tool.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:24 PM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
I always assumed "RoW" meant "everything other than North American spec" but after doing a bit of digging it appears that it can mean different things depending on where it is being referenced; for example RoW might mean something different in the UK than it does in North America. So as not to overtax my feeble brain however, I'm sticking with my original assumption.
I agree RoW is a relative description but using RoW to discern between LHD and RHD will always be wrong, irrespective of what region is meant by it, as both LHD and RHD will always be present in that RoW. 🤓
The following users liked this post:
wdb (05-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Comfort Window Drop