Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Installing H&R Springs and Bilstein B8, what else should I do while in there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 10:44 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

Well sh*t. Let's confuse ourselves even more (see attached pic).

What's the difference between "spring seats", "spring pads", "spacer spacers"? (no mm), 3.0mm, 4.0mm, and 6.5mm?

This might be my problem...and may explain people's mixed results.

I recall that the W210 EClass Benz offered multiple spring pads to allow for the fine-tuning of ride height. The US cars all seemed to have the thickest pads. So, a cheap way to lower the car a bit was to swap in the thinnest pads.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2024, 10:57 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

So, I started searching for "Spring Pads" here on Rennlist and ran across this posted just last month on the 997 forum:

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I feel like this is kind of confusing and even mechanics do not understand:

B4 = OEM PASM shock. These are the shocks that came on your car if you have PASM.
B6 = upgrade from OEM same/same everything else. So, sportier. I am guessing different valving.
B8 = upgrade from OEM shorter piston and/or shock body. So, sportier and designed for (specifically) Eibach Pro Kit Springs. ...like literally, I have heard the B8s were designed for the Eibachs and resemble coilovers without adjustable threads for height.

I am assuming each shock has some variation in valving but IDK this information.

All of these options work with Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs without issue from my experience.

What I noticed is, Eibachs with the B4 and B6 do seem to sit ±5mm higher than with the B8s. Remember, ±5mm is 1 finger or less, so this is slight. However, to OCD people talking about this stuff on a forum, that seems like A LOT. I would assume this is due to the shorter shock body and/or piston on the B8 over the B4/B6 shock body and/or piston.

Last, unfortunately, I would like my rear to be lower by ±5mm and my front to be higher by ±5mm to make the car perfectly level. I do not think anyone can tell but the truly obsessed but the difference between my car with the B8 kit and my car with the GT3 coilovers set up properly (B16s) is that the B8 kit has some rake (mainly rear is marginally higher than the front). Last, I haven't done this yet but there is some discussion we have had in other threads on if the spring pads being swapped out can make a difference since Porsche sells a roughly 3mm and a roughly 6mm one. In the future, I may put the 3mm in the rear and the 6mm one in the front to see if this changes anything...BUT at this point, you have to make a decision, do you want the B4/B6/B8 + lowering springs very comfortable daily driving qualities, or what I would consider the much harsher (especially on long trips) coilover options? If you have coilovers, this discussion is pretty irrelevant.

here is a picture of my car to break up the text:
Old 07-22-2024, 11:38 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan of montana
Looking into this setup myself. When I measure off the ride height with the stock setup, the front is about 1/2" higher than the back. The H&R springs look like a 1" drop front, 1" drop rear. I'm assuming that if there was a 1/2" disparity before, it will still exist if the front and rear are dropped the same. Probably just easier to see with the wheel gap made smaller front and rear. If/when I pull the trigger, I wonder if stacking one or two of these up in the rear would correct the front / rear difference: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...or-99634351101
Sorry for the multiple posts. But, I think you are on to something with the stacking.

The front spacers come in 3mm and 6.5mm options. 1 piece system.

I think that the rear comes with the cream colored base plate [i]then[/] uses the "spacers" to stack on top (like Legos) to hike the rear up to match the front. It's a two-piece system! (I think).

Take a look here and you can see how the underside of the black spacer mates up with the top side of the creme base plate:

REAR:
- OEM Base: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/99733350400/
- OEM 4mm stack: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/99633351103/

I wonder if you can stack multiple 4mm stacks if necessary.

I bet this is covered in the tech docs somewhere. I started a thread asking for info: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-when-why.html
Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2024, 09:24 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,172 Posts

I am fairly certain the OEM ride heights for AWD cars are a little higher in front. Coupled with the taller front tires it gives an unusual sight picture.
The following users liked this post:
cqhall (07-24-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 11:40 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cqhall
Sorry for the multiple posts. But, I think you are on to something with the stacking.

The front spacers come in 3mm and 6.5mm options. 1 piece system.

I think that the rear comes with the cream colored base plate [i]then[/] uses the "spacers" to stack on top (like Legos) to hike the rear up to match the front. It's a two-piece system! (I think).

Take a look here and you can see how the underside of the black spacer mates up with the top side of the creme base plate:

REAR:
- OEM Base: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/99733350400/
- OEM 4mm stack: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/99633351103/

I wonder if you can stack multiple 4mm stacks if necessary.

I bet this is covered in the tech docs somewhere. I started a thread asking for info: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-when-why.html
So I ordered the rear spacers and can confirm that they do indeed stack with the rear pads like Lego blocks. But, only one spacer on the pad. You can't stack multiple spacers.

The stack is about 4-5mm. I also ordered the thinner front pad. When I have the suspension apart again, I'll remove the "Taco Lean" spacer and use the OEM spacer for the rear and thinner pad in the front to see if I get it even.

BTW, the "Taco Lean" spacer has been just fine. No abnormal handling issues. Spacing is dead-on. The only reason I'd ditch them is because they are a hack and I'd rather use the OEM solution...but damn, I don't feel like pulling all of this out again (or paying someone to do it).

Quick Reply: Installing H&R Springs and Bilstein B8, what else should I do while in there?