996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Booster seats for children (2024)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 12:33 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Booster seats for children (2024)?

I'm on the hunt for a booster seat for my child to ride in the back seat of my 996 C4S. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but car seat manufacturers change their offerings frequently.

Can anyone recommend a modern offering that is confirmed to fit back there? Unfortunately, I cannot try before I buy from local stores.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:54 AM
sublm8
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts

The cheapest Cosco booster at Walmart fit like a charm in my C2 cab.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:56 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sublm8
Got a model name? Link?
Old 05-15-2024, 11:46 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 150 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...for-child.html

https://www.harmonyjuvenile.com/us_e...ter-seats.html
The following users liked this post:
cqhall (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 12:24 PM
sublm8
Instructor

Cosco Rise LX. $20 in store at Walmart.

cqhall (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 12:24 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Perfect. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2024, 12:28 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

I missed this. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2024, 12:52 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

I watched a review of the Cosco Rise and learned that one shouldn't use it if the seat in which it is placed doesn't have a headrest. So, this nixes this model for me as I planned to use it in the back seat.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:32 PM
sublm8
Instructor

Originally Posted by cqhall
I watched a review of the Cosco Rise and learned that one shouldn't use it if the seat in which it is placed doesn't have a headrest. So, this nixes this model for me as I planned to use it in the back seat.
Interesting, I would assume then that would apply to all backless boosters. Having any child in the backseat of a 996 is always going to entail safety compromises.

If it's a concern, you could disable front passenger airbag and put the kiddo in the front seat.

If you are looking for a full-size child seat, I had great success with the Diono Radian RXT in my 968, it was literally the only child seat I could find that fit. They used to sell them at Target.

The 996 rear seat is basically a child seat anyway. I stopped using a booster and just strap in the 7 and the 9yo, and drive a little more like my wife when they're strapped in.

Last edited by sublm8; 05-16-2024 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:43 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Interesting, I would assume then that would apply to all backless boosters. Having any child in the backseat of a 996 is always going to entail safety compromises.

If it's a concern, you could disable front passenger airbag and put the kiddo in the front seat.

If you are looking for a full-size child seat, I had great success with the Diono Radian RXT in my 968, it was literally the only child seat I could find that fit. They used to sell them at Target.

The 996 rear seat is basically a child seat anyway. I stopped using a booster and just strap in the 7 and the 9yo, and drive a little more like my wife when they're strapped in.
Yeah, I see why the backless booster needs a seat with a headrest. So, yeah, I'll continue using my Porsche Junior child seat:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...CANG2BASEINTCH

I had hopes that a booster would work because it's smaller and easier to store in the frunk when not in use. But, I'm not gonna have my kid without neck support in case we are rear-ended. It simply didn't occur to me until I watched that review.

I do want the front airbag disable kit. I can find most of the kit on eBay, but I can't seem to find the special buckle that mates with it to trigger the airbag deactivation. Those were part of the Porsche car seats back then. I don't think they were ever sold separately. Any idea where I can get that split buckle?

Last edited by cqhall; 05-17-2024 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:56 PM
sublm8
Instructor

I'm sure the buckle was only sold with the OEM seat. It's just a device that provides continuity to complete the circuit.

Option 1: DIY your own airbag defeat device. Pelican article comments specify that a wiring diagram exists, sounds like it is just 2 resistors.

Option 2: Find another buckle that fits, and dremel out the center section. EDIT: This video demonstrates.

Last edited by sublm8; 05-16-2024 at 03:06 PM.
cqhall (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 02:01 PM
cboxell
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, I see why the backless booster needs a seat with a headrest. So, yeah, I'll continue using my Porsche Junior child seat:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...CANG2BASEINTCH

I had hopes that a booster would work because it's smaller and easier to store in the frunk when not in use. But, I'm not gonna have my kid without neck support in case we are rear-ended. It simply didn't occur to me until I watched that review.

I do want the front air back disable kit. I can find most of the kit on eBay, but I can't seem to find the special buckle that mates with it to trigger the airbag deactivation. Those were part of the Porsche car seats back then. I don't think they were ever sold separately. Any idea where I can get that split buckle?
This plug under the passenger seat?

996 803 283 02
cqhall (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 08:19 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

I'm sure the buckle was only sold with the OEM seat. It's just a device that provides continuity to complete the circuit.

Option 1: DIY your own airbag defeat device. Pelican article comments specify that a wiring diagram exists, sounds like it is just 2 resistors.

Option 2: Find another buckle that fits, and dremel out the center section. EDIT: This video demonstrates. How to deactivate the airbag and install a child's car seat in a Porsche 996/986 (youtube.com)
Thanks. I'll watch this this morning.

Originally Posted by cboxell
This plug under the passenger seat?

996 803 283 02
Thank you. But, I need the "male" part that mates with that "female" part. The male part was sewn into each Porsche car seat of the period.

Last edited by cqhall; 05-17-2024 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2024, 11:05 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:

As mentioned above, the Cosco is $20 at Walmart, so I tried it.

I didn't realize how high the seat back rises on the rear seats, so it effectively works as a head rest for a kid as well. When in the booster, the seat back is well above my son's ears. So this is a winner. And he likes it more than the Porsche booster that I mentioned above. I suspect becase it's less restrictive and lets him see more laterally.

I'm gonna use this until I can get the airbag deactivation kit for the front seat, where I'll then use the Porsche booster again.

Thanks, everyone!!
2mAn (06-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Booster seats for children (2024)?