996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

TIPTRONIC TO MANUAL TRANSMISSION CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 02:09 PM
neversummer
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also did you unplug your Tiptronic control module? I figure unplugging this would be a good idea so its not in the loop and trying to communicate to the DME or missing transmission.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:31 PM
gcracer1
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the PIWIS from VXDAS. Transaction was smooth and computer works well.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:32 PM
gcracer1
Rennlist Member

Yes, the TIP CU is removed.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:50 PM
neversummer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gcracer1
I bought the PIWIS from VXDAS. Transaction was smooth and computer works well.
Thanks for the info!
Old 05-15-2024, 03:23 AM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 114 Posts

I also converted my 996.1 Tip to MT. I ran braided hydraulic lines instead of the OEM lines.

Not sure I saw it mentioned - the shifter cables are different from .1 to .2. Make sure you get the correct cables for the MT transaxle. It’s the transaxle ends that are different.

Axles appear to be the same from .1 to .2 and you’ll need the MT axles, I think you mentioned this.

Brake pedal is the same, you just need the clutch pedal and slave cylinder. I bought a master cylinder with the MT master reservoir that has the hole for the slave line hookup. I sucked out the fluid via syringe, popped off the old Tip reservoir from the master, and popped on the MT reservoir. No need to swap the whole master and deal with that mess.

The .1 is the same transaxle mount for Tip and MT, you mentioned that.

You’ll need to defeat the NSS. I did this at the Tip plug at the tunnel under the car, hardwire. I have a photo somewhere, let me know if you need it. You’ll have to do this or some other NSS defeat for the starter to engage.

Plug the Tip coolant line near the transaxle or buy the MT coolant line to swap it.

Your car has the third radiator up front since it was a Tip.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:24 AM
neversummer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gtxracer
I also converted my 996.1 Tip to MT. I ran braided hydraulic lines instead of the OEM lines.

Not sure I saw it mentioned - the shifter cables are different from .1 to .2. Make sure you get the correct cables for the MT transaxle. It’s the transaxle ends that are different.

Axles appear to be the same from .1 to .2 and you’ll need the MT axles, I think you mentioned this.

Brake pedal is the same, you just need the clutch pedal and slave cylinder. I bought a master cylinder with the MT master reservoir that has the hole for the slave line hookup. I sucked out the fluid via syringe, popped off the old Tip reservoir from the master, and popped on the MT reservoir. No need to swap the whole master and deal with that mess.

The .1 is the same transaxle mount for Tip and MT, you mentioned that.

You’ll need to defeat the NSS. I did this at the Tip plug at the tunnel under the car, hardwire. I have a photo somewhere, let me know if you need it. You’ll have to do this or some other NSS defeat for the starter to engage.

Plug the Tip coolant line near the transaxle or buy the MT coolant line to swap it.

I'm working on the wiring now for my swap. Can we get that picture of what you did at the Tip plug?
Old 05-15-2024, 10:29 AM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by gtxracer
my car must have been an anomaly! C4S tip with only two radiators. But it runs rock steady at 180, so no worries.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:59 AM
gcracer1
Rennlist Member

At the TIP plug there are 2 wires for the reverse light circuit (at least on my car). I tapped into these and wired to the MT reverse light switch. Other than that I just taped it up and tucked it away.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:04 PM
neversummer
Intermediate

At the TIP plug there are 2 wires for the reverse light circuit (at least on my car). I tapped into these and wired to the MT reverse light switch. Other than that I just taped it up and tucked it away.
I found those already. I was talking about the NSS defeat you did.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:16 PM
gcracer1
Rennlist Member

If you are asking about the clutch-starter interlock I wrote about this in my initial post under the "clutch" heading. Sounds like neversummer found another method.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:18 PM
Pierregirard
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

In your situation, I believe using specialized tools like the PIWIS3 is really important. It's key for figuring out problems, coding, and maybe adjusting the DME to work with the new manual setup. I know from my own experience that dealing with tools like PIWIS can be tough at first, but if you stick with it, you'll get the hang of it and it'll all be worth it in the end.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:23 PM
neversummer
Intermediate

If you are asking about the clutch-starter interlock I wrote about this in my initial post under the "clutch" heading. Sounds like neversummer found another method.
I was talking about the reverse light from the MT gearbox to the two wires that plug into the shifter for the automatic gearbox. I bought a full manual car harness to get the plugs I needed and the plug for the reverse light has the matching wire colors for the two wires off the auto shifter for the reverse lights

I'm talking about your comment that you mentioned you had a picture of the NSS defeat you did at the plug under the car. Am I missing something here?
Old 05-15-2024, 02:47 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

I extended the wires from the plug where my jumper is. That jumper was my test and it turned on the reverse lights….
Old 05-15-2024, 02:56 PM
neversummer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by e30rapidic
I extended the wires from the plug where my jumper is. That jumper was my test and it turned on the reverse lights….
Sweet. I figure those would work perfectly for the backup lights. Do you have pics of how you did the clutch pedal switch that tells the DME that the pedal is pushed in?

The wiring for the cruise control switch looks super easy.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:56 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neversummer
Sweet. I figure those would work perfectly for the backup lights. Do you have pics of how you did the clutch pedal switch that tells the DME that the pedal is pushed in?

The wiring for the cruise control switch looks super easy.
Found some randoms....not sure what they all mean yet as I'm sweeping through really fast and uploading what looks helpful. I have hundreds, if not thousands, of photos for all parts of the swap!!

Fire away with questions....

Quick Reply: TIPTRONIC TO MANUAL TRANSMISSION CONVERSION