Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help: Going from Double DIN head unit to Single DIN. What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024 | 12:18 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Oh, and with a stroke of luck, I was able to score double-cubbys and a blank batwing (and the core support that holds them) for $50 shipped from eBay.

So, I'm all set for my double-cubby setup and when I decide to relocate the seat heater buttons, as proposed in the initial post above.

For those unaware, those cubbys are each over $60USD each new: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/shelf986.html
Attached Images  

Last edited by cqhall; 04-29-2024 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2024 | 11:51 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Done!

Thanks, @ZuffenZeus for your help! I did the install myself. Old vs New pics attached.

The head unit sounds great (not just placebo effect), the color is almost exactly the same, the font is almost identical, the button shapes are very similar. I'm very happy.

Also, no more glare (see pic). And the best part is that I can rest my hand on the gear shift and feel for the volume kn0b while keeping my eyes on the road.

One note: (For the uninitiated), because I relocated the climate control from the bottom to the top, I also needed a different trim piece (996-552-677-01-01C) to go around it. Note how the top area is a plain rectangle and the very bottom has a taper to it.

I do have one problem. Something is going on with the antenna. I had the same lack of FM reception on two head units. This leads me to believe that something is wrong with the antenna wire, either broken or disconnected at the other end or something else. I've never had such an issue on a car before. Maybe I'll visit the car stereo place that I frequent and ask them for advice.

Old Double-Din vs New Single-Din:
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by cqhall:
autofiend (06-19-2024), GC996 (05-07-2024)
Old 05-01-2024 | 12:05 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Oh, and I took a gamble and did not install the external mic. I was gonna route it to the spot on the left side of the instrument cluster. My laziness paid off because on my test call during the shakedown ride the head unit's built-in mic performed flawlessly...even with windows down and sunroof open!

I attribute that to Blaupunkt being a higher quality head unit using higher quality parts than the previous BOSS system which had terrible quality via the built-in mic.
Old 05-01-2024 | 11:35 AM
911Dreamer
Racer

Originally Posted by cqhall
Oh, and I took a gamble and did not install the external mic. I was gonna route it to the spot on the left side of the instrument cluster. My laziness paid off because on my test call during the shakedown ride the head unit's built-in mic performed flawlessly...even with windows down and sunroof open!

I attribute that to Blaupunkt being a higher quality head unit using higher quality parts than the previous BOSS system which had terrible quality via the built-in mic.
Let me know if you want to sell your double din trim pieces? I have a 04 and dislike the stock Porsche Bose system. Plan on installing higher end unit and speaker upgrades
Old 05-01-2024 | 12:08 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dreamer
Let me know if you want to sell your double din trim pieces? I have a 04 and dislike the stock Porsche Bose system. Plan on installing higher end unit and speaker upgrades

I'm gonna hold on to everything except for the BOSS head unit for now. They are worth more to me to have in case I want another double-din unit in the future than the few bucks I'd sell them for.

The parts that you'd be getting from me would be less than $200 new from your local dealership (probably cheaper at other retailers)...and you'd get them faster than if I shipped them to you.
Old 05-01-2024 | 12:09 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I do have one problem. Something is going on with the antenna. I had the same lack of FM reception on two head units.
Forgot to mention, the PCM2 used the black and yellow FRAKA cables to provide true dual diversity reception. I think there might be an antenna booster that's inline too. That may explain your problem.

One idea is to try to use an antenna splitter to the two FRAKA cables that connect to the standard mono antenna connection on the Blaupunkt.

With booster:

Amazon Amazon

Without booster:

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-01-2024 | 12:24 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
Forgot to mention, the PCM2 used the black and yellow FRAKA cables to provide true dual diversity reception. I think there might be an antenna booster that's inline too. That may explain your problem.

One idea is to try to use an antenna splitter to the two FRAKA cables that connect to the standard mono antenna connection on the Blaupunkt.

With booster:

https://www.amazon.com/Eightwood-Ant.../dp/B07GDC2Z61

Without booster:

https://www.amazon.com/Anina-Antenna...09P58WR1V&th=1

This is worth a shot.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2024 | 12:15 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

@ ZuffenZeus, thanks! Both worked but, as you might expect, the one with the power worked better. My reception isn't great for all stations, but it's great for some and OK for others. I think this is because I need to position the antenna wires better when I'm stuffing everything in there. When I had it all out for testing before I stuffed it in, every station worked great.

I plugged the powered one to the Yellow and Black antenna Fakra cables and tapped switched 12v power from the unused cell phone plug that I pulled up from below to be behind the stereo.
Old 05-07-2024 | 07:38 AM
996C438
Burning Brakes

Nice install and good looking unit . Question - when you were researching single DIN options did you consider a Continental bluetooth compatible unit ? Seems to be a comparable unit in regards to look/color/***** . I want to install a single DIN in my 99 C4 and have it narrowed down to the Conti or the Frankfurt .
The following users liked this post:
cqhall (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024 | 11:53 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996C438
Nice install and good looking unit . Question - when you were researching single DIN options did you consider a Continental bluetooth compatible unit ? Seems to be a comparable unit in regards to look/color/***** . I want to install a single DIN in my 99 C4 and have it narrowed down to the Conti or the Frankfurt .
The Blaupunkt has double the power output (4x50W vs 4x25W).

I can't explain the science behind it, but even though I wouldn't play either at max volume, comparing head-to-head, the one with the higher wattage always sounds better.
Old 05-07-2024 | 12:02 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

The Blaupunkt has double the power output (4x50W vs 4x25W).

I can't explain the science behind it, but even though I wouldn't play either at max volume, comparing head-to-head, the one with the higher wattage always sounds better.
4 x 25W is based on DIN 45324 standard measurement. Most manufacturers use RMS or continuous power measurement. While the peak is 50W, the unit can provide a continuous power output to the speakers at 25W per speaker output.
The following users liked this post:
cqhall (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024 | 12:13 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 996C438
Does your Porsche have an amplifier in the frunk? If so, you'll want the Blaupunkt because it offers pre-amp output that can be easily adapted to integrate with the car's factory amplifier. This has been one of the big draw-backs with the Continental units. Unless something has changed with this company, their stereo units are designed to operate via SPEAKER LEVEL output only.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
cqhall (05-10-2024), peterp (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024 | 02:16 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
4 x 25W is based on DIN 45324 standard measurement. Most manufacturers use RMS or continuous power measurement. While the peak is 50W, the unit can provide a continuous power output to the speakers at 25W per speaker output.
Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Help: Going from Double DIN head unit to Single DIN. What do I need?