996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fuel sending unit issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 05:32 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,824 Posts

The only thing i can think of is static electricity. Im gonna add an extra ground to the battery try. The gasket insulates but the bolts ground it. Mine r corroded and maybe it arced? Im really grasping at straws here.

Where the sender is in a c2 i cant imagine any external ignition source getting to it but who knows.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:55 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,645 Likes on 2,105 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
The only thing i can think of is static electricity. Im gonna add an extra ground to the battery try. The gasket insulates but the bolts ground it. Mine r corroded and maybe it arced? Im really grasping at straws here.

Where the sender is in a c2 i cant imagine any external ignition source getting to it but who knows.
Yeah, static electricity /spark is hard to dupicate and only certain materials rubbing together can produce it.

But it is possible that that particular gasket material rubbing on the nylon fuel sender ( during bumps) created a static electricity spark? Whouldn't that be a hoot !!

Edit :: I think I would make my own gasket from a different matterial, just to be safe....

Last edited by Porschetech3; 04-02-2024 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:03 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yeah, static electricity /spark is hard to dupicate and only certain materials rubbing together can produce it.

But it is possible that that particular gasket material rubbing on the nylon fuel sender ( during bumps) created a static electricity spark? Whouldn't that be a hoot !!

Edit :: I think I would make my own gasket from a different matterial, just to be safe....

Gonna trim the gasket so it cant touch the sender .
Old 04-02-2024, 06:19 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,645 Likes on 2,105 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Gonna trim the gasket so it cant touch the sender .
Good Idea .. I concur !!! ( signed Dr. h.c. Porschetech3) lol...

Quick Reply: Fuel sending unit issue