Sponsored by:

Carfax minor damage 996.1 - looking for opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 04:23 PM
nictven
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carfax minor damage 996.1 - looking for opinion

TL;DR: looking for a 3rd, fun convertible with a set budget (~$15k) and found a 100k miles 996.1 with minor front damage, asking for opinions

Long version: My wife loves Audi, so I have been a long time Audi owner (TT, S4, A5cab; A7, S8). Recently, wife misses her convertible and kids are sitting front facing, so we had an interest to look for a 3rd, fun convertible. We have a set budget in mind (total out of pocket $15k max). Originally the budget was set to $30k, but then downgraded to $15k (due to other life choices).

So, we initially were looking at this, then out of our consideration, link posted below for reference (996.2)
https://www.mbseattle.com/used-Seatt...CA29952S652708

then since budget change, we were searching again and an A3cab fit the budget until this one pops up within our price range last night (originally selling since Oct/Nov 2023 for $19800, now $14800)
https://www.bmwbellevue.com/used/Por...3f43132610.htm

I have been reading this forum and others for a bit, knowing (or probably never knowing enough ) IMS, bore scoring, etc on 996, and also the need and expense to maintain it. I couldn't fix anythings myself, at best changing rotors/pads, so we are ok to budget $1000 a month during ownership.
And we also understand the minor damage on carfax will ding resale value (my guess the trade in value on this car probably $8000 - $10k? not sure porsche mark up for used car; but I saw my Audi trade-in got marked up $6-8k)

Considering we plan to own it for a least 3-6 years with average driving milage of 300-500 a month. What would be your opinion towards this car?
(I haven't checked it in person yet, so want to know if it even worths the time and effort...)

Points noted:
- Carfax showed it did a PDI back in November 2023, does it even mean anything after 5months?
- Carfax also showed it got a reputable porsche shop in Seattle serviced it 9 years back (Chris's German Auto Service, changed pads, but didn't mention rotor change)
- the driver seat leather was torn, then fixed?
- the wheel nuts are rusted (probably surface rust?)
- only hard top pic, no soft top pic shown
- haven't seen Carrera logo being "inside" the spoiler before... did the previous owner intentionally did that?
- wheels are definitely in bad condition (surface scuffed)

Questions:
- all these 1price policy, I wonder how much more wiggle room I may have?
- anything particular I need to be aware of if I go see in person? (I usually check brake pads, rotors, all button operations, any error lights, again I am not technical enough)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by nictven; 03-20-2024 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:43 PM
Haalex
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice cars, though that 996.1 will need some love and some $$$. You know how they say the least expensive Porsche is the most expensive Porsche?
(and sometimes the most expensive one is also the most expensive one!)

The Carrera logo is in the right place for a 996.1

Last edited by Haalex; 03-20-2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:07 PM
nictven
AutoX

Originally Posted by Haalex
Nice cars, though that 996.1 will need some love and some $$$. You know how they say the least expensive Porsche is the most expensive Porsche?
(and sometimes the most expensive one is also the most expensive one!)
Thanks for checking! I do remember reading that somewhere, either on here, or the other forums or reddit

Is it reasonable to ask for a copy of the PDI report they did?

Originally Posted by Haalex
The Carrera logo is in the right place for a 996.1
Oh thx for confirmation, I didn't know... maybe coz I have been checking out 996.2s...
Old 03-20-2024, 06:38 PM
marosmith
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Seems fairly priced if everything works including the top.

Check IMS history. AOS health also important. Doesn’t smoke? Residue on the muffler? If you can get an independent PPI and a scope you’ll know all you need to know. Price is definitely fair though.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:56 PM
binaryaudax
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 95 Posts

You should have the dealership send you a picture of the sticker under the frunk lid to see what options it has.

At 110k, if there is significant deferred maintenance (AOS, coolant hoses, suspension/bushings, etc.), the initial costs could add up quickly.

The logo isn't inside the spoiler. It's in the correct spot, below the spoiler.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:03 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,090 Posts

Assuming bores are good and the PPI checks out, i would look at it as a $30k car all in up front. $15k for purchase and $15k for deferred engine maintenence and parts replacement since you are not a DIY guy. Anything less is a bonus.

Add in another $15k for suspension, exhaust, tires, brakes, interior, exterior, misc.

These are great cars, but make sure you get the bores scoped and a comprehensive PPI to mitigate a troublesome engine. If you have a bad engine, add in another $15-30k for swap or rebuild.

Not trying to scare you away. Just making sure you understand that while the car may initially look cheap, it could end up being very expensive.

Last edited by GC996; 03-20-2024 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:12 PM
nictven
AutoX

Originally Posted by GC996
Assuming bores are good and the PPI checks out, i would look at it as a $30k car all in up front. $15k for purchase and $15k for deferred maintenence sonce you are not a DIY guy. Anything less is a bonus.
Thanks marosmith and binaryaudax. Thanks GC996 for the estimated number.
While will do another PPI and the scope, does any of the mentioned items need immediate fix/attention (AOS, coolant hoses, suspension/bushings, clutch life)?
I am trying to see if I could spread out the deferred cost of maintenance, e.g. $500 to $1k / month kind of approach. (knowing IMS will be $2k+ with LN)

(edit after your edit - it almost sounds like the carfax PDI doesn't mean much - especially if it can't catch the AOS and bad engine

Last edited by nictven; 03-20-2024 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:29 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

Miata is always the answer.
Find a nice NC with the power retractable hard top. Cheap to run, never breaks. Ours gets more play than both 911's put together. Great car. $15k will buy a nice one.

(you said you were looking for opinions)

;-)
The following users liked this post:
wdb (03-21-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 07:37 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nictven
Thanks marosmith and binaryaudax. Thanks GC996 for the estimated number.
While will do another PPI and the scope, does any of the mentioned items need immediate fix/attention (AOS, coolant hoses, suspension/bushings, clutch life)?
I am trying to see if I could spread out the deferred cost of maintenance, e.g. $500 to $1k / month kind of approach. (knowing IMS will be $2k+ with LN)
I would first test the oil to see whats in it. You can do that at home with a Speednostix kit you can get thru LN Engineering. It would be better to do it at the dealership before you buy the car as a JIC. It will cost you $65 for a 3 day turn around test, Plus the tube and pump and 3 min of your time.

Assuming it looks good, i would then take it to your indy and have them drop the sump to see what's in it, cut open the oil filter to see what's in it as well. Then i would scope the bores thru the sump. If all checks out, then I would have them do the IMSB, RMS, check clutch and flywheel, replace trans fluid, replace AoS with UAOS, replace engine mounts, replace water pump, water reservoirs, belts and check coolant lines all in one visit since the engine will be lowered. $7-12k depending on indy and parts.

I think it's a 996.1 so others will have to speak about the 5 chain system and what may need to be done. It's not cheap.

With all this being said, you gotta make sure that the brakes and suspension are in good shape if you will have your kids in the car, not to mention you and your wife. Cost all depends on what you have to replace and time. Oem rotors and pads are not very expensive. Suspension components are. $600-$4,000.

If it was my new 996, I would put the $15k worth of work in immediately so the car won't brake down or implode on me and my family. Other who are DIY guys may have a different opinion and its all good.

IMSB, Water Pump, AOS are the three failure points that can lead to catastrophic engine damage. Cant speak about the 5 chain system since i have a 996.2, so you really should do them. Everything else relating to the engine and components will eventually wear down and will fail and can leave you stranded, but arent catastrophic. Question is how bullet proof do you want the car and how soon.

Last edited by GC996; 03-20-2024 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:16 PM
nictven
AutoX

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Miata is always the answer.
Find a nice NC with the power retractable hard top. Cheap to run, never breaks. Ours gets more play than both 911's put together. Great car. $15k will buy a nice one.

(you said you were looking for opinions)

;-)
LOL, thx for the suggestion. Our plan is to include the kids in the back seats to enjoy the summer together, so miata, z4 didn't work; we cross shop for 3series, a3 though
Old 03-20-2024, 09:20 PM
nictven
AutoX

I would first test the oil to see whats in it. You can do that at home with a Speednostix kit you can get thru LN Engineering. It would be better to do it at the dealership before you buy the car as a JIC. It will cost you $65 for a 3 day turn around test, Plus the tube and pump and 3 min of your time.

Assuming it looks good, i would then take it to your indy and have them drop the sump to see what's in it, cut open the oil filter to see what's in it as well. Then i would scope the bores thru the sump. If all checks out, then I would have them do the IMSB, RMS, check clutch and flywheel, replace trans fluid, replace AoS with UAOS, replace engine mounts, replace water pump, water reservoirs, belts and check coolant lines all in one visit since the engine will be lowered. $7-12k depending on indy and parts.

I think it's a 996.1 so others will have to speak about the 5 chain system and what may need to be done. It's not cheap.

With all this being said, you gotta make sure that the brakes and suspension are in good shape if you will have your kids in the car, not to mention you and your wife. Cost all depends on what you have to replace and time. Oem rotors and pads are not very expensive. Suspension components are. $600-$4,000.

If it was my new 996, I would put the $15k worth of work in immediately so the car won't brake down or implode on me and my family. Other who are DIY guys may have a different opinion and its all good.

IMSB, Water Pump, AOS are the three failure points that can lead to catastrophic engine damage. Cant speak about the 5 chain system since i have a 996.2, so you really should do them. Everything else relating to the engine and components will eventually wear down and will fail and can leave you stranded, but arent catastrophic. Question is how bullet proof do you want the car and how soon.
Much appreciated for the detail info and cost breakdown! non-porsche convertibles now seem a simplier alternative at this point
Old 03-20-2024, 09:31 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Much appreciated for the detail info and cost breakdown! non-porsche convertibles now seem a simplier alternative at this point
My wife has a 2010 Audi A5 4 cylinder turbo convertible and loves it. You can find a software tune for 1k that will boost the hp 60-80 from one of the Audi aftermarket providers. We did Stassis back in the day. Forget the new partner Audi uses but you can find it. Looks brand new, styling hasnt really changed. never any problems. She keeps looking for a new car but keeps going back to her A5. Big enough back seats for kids. AWD is a bonus. A 10 year old A5 convertible is probably in the price range.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:32 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

LOL, thx for the suggestion. Our plan is to include the kids in the back seats to enjoy the summer together, so miata, z4 didn't work; we cross shop for 3series, a3 though
Strongly recommend you test fit this option. The back seat of a convertible can be very windy and unpleasant.
If you still want to go with seating for four, opt for the 3 series. The 911 'vert has only marginally more back seat room than a Miata.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:50 AM
nictven
AutoX

My wife has a 2010 Audi A5 4 cylinder turbo convertible and loves it. You can find a software tune for 1k that will boost the hp 60-80 from one of the Audi aftermarket providers. We did Stassis back in the day. Forget the new partner Audi uses but you can find it. Looks brand new, styling hasnt really changed. never any problems. She keeps looking for a new car but keeps going back to her A5. Big enough back seats for kids. AWD is a bonus. A 10 year old A5 convertible is probably in the price range.
wife had a 2013 CPO A5 before, she loved that car but rear facing car seats didn't work well, so eventually we had to trade it in. Since it was cpo, she refused to do Apr stage 1 to it...
Hence, now the kids could sit front facing, she's tempting to get a convertible again. That's why we began with A3 (we both don't want to drive the same model again).
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 11:03 AM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 156 Posts

Looks like that Porsche at BMW of Bellevue is gone. I would also add what has been said before, there are no $15K 996s anymore. At that price, there is either something wrong, or there is >$15K worth of deferred maintenance.

Quick Reply: Carfax minor damage 996.1 - looking for opinion