Sponsored by:

Need to decide: Michelin PS2 or PS Rib

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 08:03 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need to decide: Michelin PS2 or PS Rib

Rear tire flatted again and the fronts are almost gone, so I've decided to replace all four corners. I've searched the archives and have made my tire choice...almost. Now I need your help!

I narrowed down to the Bridgestone S-02A, Michelin PS2 & PS Rib and Pirelli PZero Rosso.

Then I thought hard and I'm down to the 2 Michelin choices PS2 or Rib ...What should I get???

My criteria...
Price isn't a factor...they are all equally expensive
Not for track use (at least not yet)
Northern California street use.... usually warm. wet only in winter. While this car is my daily driver, I usually leave it in the garage when I know it's going to rain.

I want "performance", but it doesn't have to be ultimate
I want a high quality tire....heard so-so things recently about Pirelli, Dunlop, etc.
I want a relatively quiet tire, again not necessarily "ultimate", but towards the quiet side of the spectrum.
Treadwear is relative....will be happy to get 12K - 15K from rears. My driving style is "aggressive" probably only 5 or 10% of the time.
I don't care about official "N" rating or not, but want the more "modern" tire is the technology of one surpasses the other.
My drives could be curvy mountain passes, straight freeway or city streets.

So what is it guys.... PS2 or PS Rib?

Many thanks,
Jerry
Old 06-16-2004, 08:18 PM
996blue
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the same boat and interested in responses

why The Rosso instead of the asymmetrico? Have not tried the Directionale in front though that's a next option.

I have used the asymmetrico twice and like the stiff side-wall (compared to the OEM tires). Tires only last 7-8 K miles.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:42 PM
W.O.T. Freak
Advanced

Have you ever tried the BF Goodrich, TK DW s ?

The word on the street is that they have an amazing grip without sacrificing comfort.

I still have the P Rossos, and enjoy them a lot. But have not yet tracked them.

W.O.T.

Andre
Old 06-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I have used just about everything for 911s except the race treads, S02s and Ribs. So far, the PS2s are by far my favorites, with the Pilot Sports 2nd.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:49 AM
redcab
Racer

So far, I positive comment on the PS2.
From the archives, Viken likes the Rib, but also has good words for the PS2

From my perspective, the Rib has the advantage of "being designed explicitly for the 996" but doesn't do well unless it's hot. The PS2 is "newer" and in the tire world that usually means much improved, but there have been comments about softer sidewalls (though as a relative comparison, I'm not sure how to interpret).

Appreciate more comments from you guys who have tried either - PS2 or PS Rib. Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jerry, I don't know how sensitive you are to tires. If you are, you might find that the Rib and PS2 are slightly different in at least one area. However, they are extremely close, and the average person may not find a difference. The PS2, as approved by Porsche, seems to have been designed for a better ride. Softer sidewalls require a bit more attention in the suspension tuning. I think that's the direction Porsche has taken with the GT cars and now the 997. While I love my PS2's on the GT3 in terms of absolute grip, I don't like the softer sidewall feeling. The car *feels* very skittish, mostly due to this and a stiff suspension. There is really nothing wrong with this feeling, and most people learn to adapt to it. I might add that this feeling may not be as obvious on a non-GT car. Having said that, I would be more inclined to run the Rib's on a plain 996. It is a phenomenal tire no matter how you look at it.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:31 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2004 c4s came wih ribs, they are quiet on asphalt but noisy on concrete. ride is good, handling is great, i am so far very pleased. they also did great in the heavy rains we are having here in ohio
Old 06-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,082 Likes on 641 Posts

Redcab,

With lots of thought and help from Viken and others. I went with the PS Ribs for my car. Seriously considered the PS2S and going with a bit larger tire (no choice.)

Anyway, I went to road Altanta this past weekend. Now I am no race driver by any stretch. But these tires performed like a champ. I ran my best times ever 1.53 on street tires. Most of the guys in my run group had track tires. The only place they were faster was coming down the hill at 12.

These tires amazed me with their performance......I am sure the PS2s are just as exceptional.

Now, I know you won't use them on the track. But I think performance there will give you an idea to the quality of the tire.

For normal driving I find them quit and smooth. Must more so than my SO2s which I loved.

One concern, I got caught in a rain storm (heavy rain) and they really didn't feel comfortable. Now keep in mind they only had about 200 miles on them at the time, so that could have been the problem???

Old 06-17-2004, 06:06 PM
offroad911
Instructor

Redcab, I have a 01 Cab which I have run the Rib, PS2 and Pilot Sport Cup as track tires. The PS2 is quieter, smoother and response is virtually as good as my track tires. I highly recommend the PS2. You will be pleased! Tire Rack generally has the best price.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

The PS2s have an unreal amount of grip in the corners and they are actually awesome in the rain. The outer edge tread might as well be a track tire, but it has nice deep center channels in the center for rain. Mine are still not even broken in good yet.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:30 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I really wanted to get some PS2, but they are not available in a 285 yet. So I bought a set of N1 PS Ribs, after driving on them at PDE, I am very pleased. At a recent track weekend they performed very well with an abundance of grip once they had some heat, much better than my worn out Pilots.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:25 AM
drafting
Instructor

I'm running on PS Ribs (OEM w/ my car) and they have been tremendous through all sorts of crappy weather, on a couple of tracks and a bunch of spirited mountain driving. I did some laps at the Ring when it was absolutely tanking down rain, and only broke loose once (which resulted in a mercifully short, gotta go and clean out my shorts now, spin through the grass/mud apron of two turns near the km 8 marker ).

Having said that, I am planning on going to the PS2 N2 when I buy another set of wheels in the near future. From all reports they are everything the Rib is and more; awesome dry tire and great wet tire. As a driver of average skill and high aspiration, I think they will exceed my requirements. fwiw.....

Jeff
Old 06-18-2004, 04:34 AM
redcab
Racer

Thanks guys for all the input. Seems like either way I'll be getting a great tire. To sum up my (almost) final decision, I think I'm 95% likely to be happy with the PS Rib and 90% likely to be happy with the PS2. I think that there is some possibility that if I could drive both tires back to back in a controlled setting I might choose the PS2, but I'm a little conservative some times, so I'll go with the PS Rib.

WheelWorks is shipping down a set from Reno tonight, and will sell them to me at the Tire Rack + $10 ea price (+$30/tire for all the stem, mount, recycle, blah blah blah and another $30/tire for road hazard insurance).

I found it interesting that I made me produce the VIN before they would let me order the PS Rib. Is that normal?

Thanks again for all your help....and let me know immediately if you think I've made a foolish mistake. I can still change the order.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by redcab
I found it interesting that I made me produce the VIN before they would let me order the PS Rib. Is that normal?
That's really interesting. This was the case last year when the GT3's started coming in. There were very few OEM PS2's in the country, and Michelin was requiring a GT3 VIN to release them. This was to ensure that these tires actually went to needy GT3 owners. This condition has since been removed, and I have never heard that they did the same with the Rib's with normal 996 sizes.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:12 PM
JakeMate
Racer

Originally posted by Viken
The PS2, as approved by Porsche, seems to have been designed for a better ride.
I just had the PS2's put on last night and only drove the car from the garage to home. I could already tell that the ride was more comfortable. The PS2's seem to take the edge off of bumps better than any other tires I've tried. Couldn't tell anything else from the 2 mile drive.

Quick Reply: Need to decide: Michelin PS2 or PS Rib