Sponsored by:

LN Engineering no longer recommends Napa 1042 filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 01:32 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 665 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbornem
I don't understand why everyone is freaking out and hording NAPA filters. ??

The issue is that NAPA used to buy filters from WIX, rebranding them as NAPA Gold, but now NAPA has switched to a Chinese manufacturer.
But, LN lists the alternatives, and that includes the original WIX51042 filter.
I can walk into any O'Reilly's right now and buy a made in the USA WIX 51042 filter. They have 9 on the shelf.

What's the problem here?

This is like people hording toilet paper before a storm, the only reason there may be scarcity is because of the hording, not because of the storm.

EDIT: And if you're looking at the larger made-in-usa NAPA1258, read the box carefully, it's also made by WIX. So you could also just buy a WIX51258, made-in-usa, in stock now.
I think the panic is because the email that LN sent alerting us to the issue did not recommend any alternative (other than finding NOS US or Mexican version of the Napa), it just said that the smaller holes in the chinese version “will cause severe restriction and will cause engine damage”. Apparently the website is showing alternatives, but the email that promoted this thread did not.
The following users liked this post:
TheChunkNorris (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 01:52 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 378 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35437493641...AAAOSwROljZSsZ

partscontainer is the same as newparts.com .

Old 02-24-2024, 01:53 PM
sublm8
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
I think the panic is because the email that LN sent alerting us to the issue did not recommend any alternative (other than finding NOS US or Mexican version of the Napa), it just said that the smaller holes in the chinese version “will cause severe restriction and will cause engine damage”. Apparently the website is showing alternatives, but the email that promoted this thread did not.
It would be nice if they, as a sponsor, could post the emailed information to the Rennlist group where most of the enthusiasts hang out. I mean, it literally says "Sponsored by: LN Engineering" at the top of the page.

I have a spin-on adapter but didn't get the email. Per their FB page they are examining the Wix alternatives and will send an update when they have recommendations. Had to dig to find it though.

NAPA Mexico is OK, right? I have some in the white LN box from Pelican.

The email is nowhere I can find on their website or FB account. "Severe engine damage" but it's too much to spend 5 minutes giving accurate info to the enthusiast group you yourself sponsor?

Sheesh.

Last edited by sublm8; 02-24-2024 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jdbornem (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 02:00 PM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Yes to WIX

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out and hording NAPA filters. ??

The issue is that NAPA used to buy filters from WIX, rebranding them as NAPA Gold, but now NAPA has switched to a Chinese manufacturer.
But, LN lists the alternatives, and that includes the original WIX51042 filter.
I can walk into any O'Reilly's right now and buy a made in the USA WIX 51042 filter. They have 9 on the shelf.

What's the problem here?

This is like people hording toilet paper before a storm, the only reason there may be scarcity is because of the hording, not because of the storm.

EDIT: And if you're looking at the larger made-in-usa NAPA1258, read the box carefully, it's also made by WIX. So you could also just buy a WIX51258, made-in-usa, in stock now.

Yes, JD, you are right. The WIX 51258 is the same thing and I just bought two cases from FleetFilter.com and confirmed they are not made in China. They added that depending on the NAPA store, some were sourcing oil filters from China and others from a place in Indiana. In any case, I confirmed the WIX was the same thing and now have a six year supply. Prices were also awesome.

Old 02-24-2024, 02:01 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 490 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Sure. I guess.
It was a terribly constructed email from LN. And they've been radio-silent on the forums, which doesn't help anything.
I'm just a little surprised about people running around like chickens with heads cut off, and very few actually just looked into the situation.

LN has listed alternatives on their website for years. This includes the WIX that was mentioned by sasilverbullet (post #7) and hbdunn (#8), and the B31 that you independently rediscovered.
Woodman71 (post #22), and ZuffenZeus (#23) finally just posted the list from LN!

It didn't help that LN's email made the ridiculous statement, "We still do have a decent supply of Mexican 1042s and we are actively seeking suitable alternatives for this filter for the future.". Making it sound like there weren't easy substitutions, when they already knew alternatives!!!

My thinking is that LN had a supplier relationship with NAPA to get filters at wholesale to resell. So now they have to "actively seek alternatives" for a new supplier relationship before they can sell alternative filters.
However, for the retail customer, there are alternatives, and always have been. LN just isn't selling any alternatives yet, likely because they would have to buy at retail prices, and couldn't afford to resell them.

But us, and retail consumers, just need to calm down and buy one of the many very fine options, provided by LN:
Mann ML1013, Mahle OC999, Baldwin B31, or the original, Wix 51042

The following 2 users liked this post by jdbornem:
996-CAB (02-24-2024), Woodman71 (02-26-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 03:18 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,436 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I got the E-mail also, I didn't panic or get excited. I thought it was a very responsible notice to NOT use the NAPA 1042 that are now made in China , (with restricted/smaller passage holes that could cause damage if you are running high RPM or tracking the car)...I assumed that was the the main purpose of the E-mail, period...

I didn't feel like it should have been an "all inclusive, everything you need to know about oil filters", but just a quick notice of a potential problem ...and glad to receive it ...>>>

Last edited by Porschetech3; 02-24-2024 at 03:32 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
Charles Navarro (02-29-2024), dporto (02-25-2024), evoroadster (02-25-2024), Leedlast (02-28-2024), M422A1 (02-25-2024), peterp (02-24-2024), wdb (02-24-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-24-2024, 06:09 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I got the E-mail also, I didn't panic or get excited. I thought it was a very responsible notice to NOT use the NAPA 1042 that are now made in China , (with restricted/smaller passage holes that could cause damage if you are running high RPM or tracking the car)...I assumed that was the the main purpose of the E-mail, period...

I didn't feel like it should have been an "all inclusive, everything you need to know about oil filters", but just a quick notice of a potential problem ...and glad to receive it ...>>>
I actually agree with you. I read the email, said "huh, okay" and moved on. I knew there were alternatives, and have been buying the WIX for some time.

It's just a strange thing where in retrospect, given how many people apparently didn't already know about the alternatives... that the limited information led to many people here worrying and buying up supplies, which really didn't need to be done.

Oh well. Whatever. I'm good.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdbornem:
Leedlast (02-28-2024), Porschetech3 (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 06:35 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 673 Posts

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out and hording NAPA filters
I've told you a BILLION times, don't exaggerate.
I was at a tint place that happened to be next to NAPA. When I was done at the tint place I strolled over to NAPA and explained why I was there. He checked in back and said they had a "ton" of the made in USA 1042 filters and I said, "I'll take six please". I'm not freaked out and If six NLA filters is hoarding, then guilty as charged. I know about the WIX compatibility and in fact I made a post a few years ago where I did a side by side comparison of the NAPA Gold, WIX regular and the WIX XP.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:03 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 295 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I've been using a Mobil 1 M1-107A oil filter for many years. Of course I have the LN spin on oil filter adapter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PR1PND...osi&th=1&psc=1
I cut open a M1-107 on a customer's 987.1 Cayman S today and the pleats seemed sucked down.

I am glad I have a few of the USA filters on the shelf for the time being.

I will be curious to see what the solution is.

I know that from a few podcasts I've listened to, you can get in a lot of trouble using the wrong filter (K&N).

--Aaron

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 02-25-2024, 09:30 AM
jdbornem
Pro

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
I've told you a BILLION times, don't exaggerate.
I was at a tint place that happened to be next to NAPA. When I was done at the tint place I strolled over to NAPA and explained why I was there. He checked in back and said they had a "ton" of the made in USA 1042 filters and I said, "I'll take six please". I'm not freaked out and If six NLA filters is hoarding, then guilty as charged. I know about the WIX compatibility and in fact I made a post a few years ago where I did a side by side comparison of the NAPA Gold, WIX regular and the WIX XP.
Found it. Thanks.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post15930471

Obviously the NAPA is now different, but I think it's still interesting.

Last edited by jdbornem; 02-25-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:00 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 665 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3

True. Probably very, very few would have noticed the change without being alerted to it by LN. Even just switching to manufacturing to another country might not have set off alarms since it most would presume it's built to the same spec -- but that is definitely not the case here.
The following 3 users liked this post by peterp:
Coopduc (02-29-2024), hoofdpijn (02-27-2024), Porschetech3 (02-26-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:06 AM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 249 Posts

problem solved for me. I have the IMS solution so little different filter number.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:15 AM
996C438
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

^^^ That is true for now . I too am a Solution owner and use 51348 or the non anti flow back 51215 . But we all have to keep an eye out IF Wix changes anything . I spoke with Charles over the weekend and he said for now they haven't seen any changes to the filters for the Solution . But he also stated they are being watchful for any changes .
Old 02-27-2024, 11:42 AM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by 996C438
^^^ That is true for now . I too am a Solution owner and use 51348 or the non anti flow back 51215 . But we all have to keep an eye out IF Wix changes anything . I spoke with Charles over the weekend and he said for now they haven't seen any changes to the filters for the Solution . But he also stated they are being watchful for any changes .
I went to three napa's and all the 1348 were made in china.. one was the Napa distribution center and I looked through 200 filters. It was easy as all the sealed boxes said made in china on the outside.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:46 AM
996C438
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin76
I went to three napa's and all the 1348 were made in china.. one was the Napa distribution center and I looked through 200 filters. It was easy as all the sealed boxes said made in china on the outside.
Interesting. Do you remember if the oil holes were round or oblong ? I " think " the oblong holes are restrictions for flow/pressure and that is a concern .

Quick Reply: LN Engineering no longer recommends Napa 1042 filters