Sponsored by:

SUPER Clearance on Traffic Pro Nav

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 10:23 AM
v8huntr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have few more questions to TP users.

1. when you turn on your radio does it say "porsche" like factory unit?
2. i have factory cd changer, will this work with TP?
3. do i have to cut any wires to install TP in my 99 c2 or is this completely plug and play unit?
4. where do i put the GPS antana in 996? do i have to wire it throught the roof or just put it inside the dash board near the radio?
5. do i need special tool to remove factory single din unit?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Answers:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No - but you do have to add one wire into the middle connector from the reverse signal lead that is located under the drivers seat. If you have an auto dimming mirror, you can take the signal from that lead.
4. The GPS antenna lives under the little cover that is between the defroster ducts on top of the dash. There is a little plate under there, that is held in with 2 torx screws. The plate must be taken out to feed the GPS antenna cable down to where the radio is. Installing the antenna is a little awkward, but not really that hard.
5. Standard european radio removal keys work just fine.

As a note there is a cable kit available from Becker/Harman Kardon that allows the use of the AUX-IN feature of this radio with your iPod or MP3 player. This kit is about $20 shipped, and includes removal keys.

Here are some notes on the installation of the Traffic Pro Radio

Originally posted by v8huntr
i have few more questions to TP users.

2. i have factory cd changer, will this work with TP?
3. do i have to cut any wires to install TP in my 99 c2 or is this completely plug and play unit?
4. where do i put the GPS antana in 996? do i have to wire it throught the roof or just put it inside the dash board near the radio?
5. do i need special tool to remove factory single din unit?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:59 AM
SEAL2CC
Intermediate

Mine does NOT say Porsche..it says Traffic Pro
Old 06-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by SEAL2CC
Mine does NOT say Porsche..it says Traffic Pro
If it is a Porsche branded Unit, It will say Porsche, if it is a Harmon/Kardon branded unit it will say Traffic Pro.

Mine is a Porsche branded unit. Sorry for not making that clear.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SEAL2CC
Traffic Pro also can control the Porsche CD changer. I have that in mine and XM Radio transmitted to the FM section (not FM modulated through the antenna)
Tell us more about how this XM tuner is integrated into your system. I've been wanting an XM tuner for a long time but I didn't want to FM modulate.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:14 PM
SEAL2CC
Intermediate

Here is what I have:

http://www.xmradio.com/roady/

Best Buy may have it for less. The Roady comes with an FM wireless adaptor so I guess it is FM modulated in a way but it does not use up the aux function so you could still do a CD changer (which put in myself), ipod etc. It has integrated into the cigarette lighter connector a small FM transmitter and you can chose from 6 FM frequencies to sent the signal to. I direct wired a Radio Shack 3-outlet cigarette power outlet unit to the battery, ran it to behind the console on the tunnel and connected the Roady FM adaptor/power supply to it along with a Nokia cell phone power supply. I still have one outlet available for radar etc. Ran the wires for the Roady to behind my 4-CD holder which I don't use, velcroed the Roady mounting unit to the CD holder and the phone line behind the right side console panel. It sticks out at the lower right corner of the console to power the phone. There are NO plugs going into the stock cigarette lighter, the whole install is very nice. The Roady has a mount which is essentially a permanent mount but the Roady head can be clipped out to take inside or to another car. I ran the XM antenna (the Roady antenna is small) parallel to the Traffic Pro antenna, taking it up through the cover base and mounting it just to the right of the cover at the front of the dash covering the GPS antenna. Reception has been fine.

XM also has a Commander which looks nice but not sure if it can use or comes with the FM transmitter, small antenna or can be removed for home stereo use. Except for the Roady, I think all the other antennas are comparatively "clunky."

I'm happy with my setup...
Old 06-17-2004, 08:45 AM
huskydog
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have an 01 with DSP and a CD changer, are you guys telling me I can install a Traffic Pro myself for $450? If so I am ordering one today.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 143 Posts

I have an 01 with DSP and CD changer. I have the traffic pro and paid $1500 for the Porsche unit installed it myself VERY EASY, and I have the connector from Becker so that my Cell phone works hands free through the unit. When I make a call or a call comes in the unit mutes and the sound comes through the speakers VERY NICE!
Old 06-17-2004, 05:46 PM
TurboMark
Pro

what color (Green, Amber, or Red) display did you guys choose?
Old 06-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Mav
Racer

Here is the link to new TrafficPro II.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Yes the TrafficPro is fully compatible with your setup Husky.

If you are swapping out a Becker CDR-220, it will be relatively plug and play. However, you still need to find a speed lead and reverse light lead - this is the more challenging part (unless Porsche already pre-wired these near the radio). Anyone know about this? The antenna is tiny and can be placed in the center of the dash near the defroster.

Old 06-17-2004, 08:01 PM
huskydog
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ordered mine today from Crutchfield in amber (matches rest of dash lights)$449 total cost, will be here Monday, I'll post installation progress and results.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:01 PM
netdoc
Instructor

I got mine from Crutchfield yesterday. Installed it in my 02 Cab and replaced the CR-220. I do have upgrade BOSE sound system in my car from factory with BOSE Amp and Speakers.

Easy Install, remove the factory radio and unplug all cables in the back.

Install the GPS Antenna on passenger side Dash with clear view of the sky, run the wires underneath the glove box and onto the middle console.

Plug all the connectors back, however, run into few problems.

Problems run into:

1. No Sound at first - but I had to run a jumper cable from A-5 to C1-6, that is the cable for Amplifier Control. After I did that, Sounds works great.

2. Now I need to figure out how to run a cable from the reverse sensor...

Any ideas???

Radio, CD Changer and AMP are working great, but NAV still isn't working until I hook up the Reverse Sensing Wire to the Radio.

Do I run a cable to shifter boot and look for Reverse Sensor switch there and hook it up to it?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:34 PM
SEAL2CC
Intermediate

I've never hooked up my reverse sensor and no problems so far..some others have said no big problem unless you are in reverse alot. I believe the sensor is under the driver's seat. Previous posts on this subject detail it more. I had no sound at first until I made that jumper move. Intuitive isn't it! ;-)
Old 06-18-2004, 05:04 PM
netdoc
Instructor

Am I missing something. Looks like everything else is working but I can't get the Nav to calibrate without the Reverse Sensor hooked up. ..

Is there anything else I need to do?

Quick Reply: SUPER Clearance on Traffic Pro Nav