996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Problem After Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Tonyrandl
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just finished checking the oil pressure with a very accurate digital gauge.

At cold start, max oil pressure is 7.2bar and then gradually drops to 1.4 bar where it sits for about 6 mins and then drops to a steady 0.9 bar.
@tim s - I remember checking these during re-assembly. I've not had chance to drive the car yet so any issue with the variocam hasn't become evident but the car does idle perfectly.

Not sure what to do now. My company car arrives in 2 weeks, when it arrives, I can get the Porsche road legal (insured/tax) and give it a road test which may help point out any issues.
The following users liked this post:
tim s (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 11:55 AM
allcool
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by tim s
Symptoms:
-low oil pressure at idle
-cam tensioner bank 1 not actuating
-cam has been replaced?

Possible fault could be the 'bearing washers' (as porsche calls them) missing on the end of the cam where the variocam adjuster sits on, causing oil pressure to bleed off hence the low pressure and the cam adjustment not to work as the car warms. Happened to me when fitting schrick cams and accidentally missing them off:
996 4s - diy 3.9 x51, reworked heads, schrick etc | Page 5 | Porsche 911UK Forum
Took me a while to figure out as the adjustment worked fine when tested cold.
Just observed another forum member install those washers. Jake calls them 'diamond washers' iirr.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:56 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,905 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The diamond washers go between the sprocket and the cam.
The parts on the UK web site are only on 996.2 (and 996 Turbo) and they are three little piston rings that fit on the snout of each intake cam. If they are missing then #1 variocam won't work and #2 there is a direct leak path from the oil gallery.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:41 PM
Tonyrandl
Track Day

Originally Posted by theprf
The diamond washers go between the sprocket and the cam.
The parts on the UK web site are only on 996.2 (and 996 Turbo) and they are three little piston rings that fit on the snout of each intake cam. If they are missing then #1 variocam won't work and #2 there is a direct leak path from the oil gallery.
I had to replace one of them during the rebuild as I damaged it whist cleaning it. The rest were checked and no problems found.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:07 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,532 Likes on 1,859 Posts

I dont have any usefull help but i can offer moral support. I just spent an extra 4 weeks getting my truck motor sorted out due to a defective part. Its worth the effort to find the root cause and I hope u find it soon.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (03-04-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 05:41 PM
Tonyrandl
Track Day

Sorry for the lack of updates. All 3 pumps have arrived from Porsche and I'm finishing fitting the main pump tomorrow. I pulled the inlet manifolds off to get to bank2 tensioner and found the manifolds to have a lot of oil in them.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:13 PM
Tonyrandl
Track Day

All 3 pumps are changed and didn't make a slightest bit of difference to the oil pressure.

Managed to take to take it for a small drive and it didn't drive well. it felt very down on power and 'lumpy' to drive. idles just fine. Need to check the variable timing solenoids.

Oil pressure issues is once again leading to the the oil jets not closing at idle or losing oil pressure at the variable timing parts
Old 07-09-2024, 08:02 PM
Tonyrandl
Track Day

Sorry for the lack of updates, I just left the car in the garage until this week as I had run out of enthusiasm to fix it!

Plugged the car into a diagnostics (TEXA) and found error code 0012 camshaft position bank 1 which explains why the car didn't feel right when I took it for a test drive.
Here are some details of the data it was reading. I think that the camshaft adjust numbers are the cam deviation which at those numbers indicates a timing issue. but when I changed the pumps/tensioner, it as set perfect.

Or its an issue with a component of the VVT system.
Any thoughts or advice? - could a loss of oil pressure to the VVT/cams case this and therefore both issues linked?

Old 08-25-2024, 07:30 PM
Tonyrandl
Track Day

Looks like the issue is now fixed.
Pulled bank 1 timing solenoid and found that the keyway was slightly damaged which meant it wasn't seated correctly. This caused the bad running as the solenoid wasn't getting oil and loss of oil pressure as it was bleeding out oil pressure where the supply goes through the strainer and into the solenoid.
looks like those 3 pumps were a waste of time/money.

Road testing went well but I did 10 miles before it blew a power steering line........
The following 2 users liked this post by Tonyrandl:
tim s (08-28-2024), wdb (08-25-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 02:48 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

Glad for you that you found the cause without having to throw more parts at it.
Too bad you've run into your next challenge almost straight away, that sucks.
Thanks for taking the time to report back with the cause for your troubles!

Last edited by hardtailer; 08-26-2024 at 02:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Problem After Rebuild