Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

what's the proper torque for the wheel lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:26 AM
rost12
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally posted by rdstemler
Ask the guys at your dealership or garage what they prefer. They use them all the time and have no reason to steer you wrong!
Didn't think of that Thanks!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:05 PM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn...

I thought it was supposed to be 90.

I've been doing 88 out of habit from BMWs.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a few click style torque wrenches. Any torque wrench is better than no torque wrench. As pointed out you can have up to a 4% error. The difference between 96 and 100 foot pounds on a wheel bolt is nothing.

The locking wheel bolt should be torqued to the same value as the other 4. The key for the locking wheel bolt is known to break. If you track your car it also slows down a wheel change. Guys I know who track their car remove the locking one and replace it with a standard one.

I have not seen the Sears wrench in the link in person. I do not like the Sears wrenches which I think are called micro something. They are like an old Snap-On and have a ring you twist to lock the torque setting. On a Snap-On the ring is metal - on Sears it is plastic, and I have seen them break.

In my opinion the best value for a DIYer is the one sold by Home Depot.

CDI is owned by Snap-On. I have several and they are good. You can find decent used ones on ebay without the Snap-On price.

Quick Reply: what's the proper torque for the wheel lugs?