996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Porsche! Whats wrong with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 07:00 PM
Ian Stefanski
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Porsche! Whats wrong with it?

Hello everyone, I recently got a 996 Porsche 911 for cheap!! I am young and learning how to work on cars on my own. Any help is appreciated.

First problem: The car seems to die only sometimes when I turn the key in the ignition. Other times it fires right up no issues. Ive replaced the battery and am about to replace the alternator today. Do i need to change the ignition switch? The key has no problem going in and out super easily.

Second problem: No ac blows hot or cold air. The screen and every button work but no air blows. What could cause this?

Third problem: Just a couple days ago the speedometer screen shows the gears switching between 4th gear and park while the car is in park. Whats happening here? Ive driven the car hundreds of miles and this just appeared out of nowhere.

I have attached videos and pictures in a google drive relating to the problems on top. Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=drive_link

Thanks again for any help!! I cant wait to get this thing restored again to fully functional condition. Of course let me know if you need any more information and Ill be more than happy to provide.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:42 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

1) ignition switch would be the easiest and least expensive.
2) as with any A/C system on any car it could be anything from a refrigerant leak to bad compressor, or all of the above. This is system with lots of parts that leak or fail.
3) that is showing you a fault in the transmission. It would be best to address that before further driving gets you into the real expensive territory real fast.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:44 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,363 Likes on 1,974 Posts

The first thing you should do if you are going to work on this car is to buy a Durametric Tester to test things with and give the collected info here for more advice...
The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
allcool (01-26-2024), Einsteiger (01-26-2024), JohnCA58 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 08:11 AM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts

The car sometimes starts and not has nothing to do with the battery or alternator. The AC...does the fan come on?
Old 01-26-2024, 08:35 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian Stefanski
Hello everyone, I recently got a 996 Porsche 911 for cheap!! I am young and learning how to work on cars on my own. Any help is appreciated.

First problem: The car seems to die only sometimes when I turn the key in the ignition. Other times it fires right up no issues. Ive replaced the battery and am about to replace the alternator today. Do i need to change the ignition switch? The key has no problem going in and out super easily.

Second problem: No ac blows hot or cold air. The screen and every button work but no air blows. What could cause this?

Third problem: Just a couple days ago the speedometer screen shows the gears switching between 4th gear and park while the car is in park. Whats happening here? Ive driven the car hundreds of miles and this just appeared out of nowhere.

I have attached videos and pictures in a google drive relating to the problems on top. Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=drive_link

Thanks again for any help!! I cant wait to get this thing restored again to fully functional condition. Of course let me know if you need any more information and Ill be more than happy to provide.

1. Yes , your first issue shown in the video that is causing black out on the gauge cluster when putting a key in the ignition is a malfunction ignition switch. Easy swap out. Cheap part. Replace it.
2. Next, I wouldn't replace the alternator until you can confirm it is not producing the correct voltage in operation. That might explain the dead battery but again, you need to confirm. Ref#1
3. The transmission light blinking from D to 4 is a common error mode that points to an electrical fault. My bet it's related to the malfunctioning ignition switch. Get it swapped out ASAP!
4. The AC issue could also be linked to the ignition switch. I've seen this happen first hand. Again, get that ignition switch replaced. Reset any DTCs and report back.
5. You also have an Airbag fault. That usually occurs because you've turned the car on with the seat removed, airbag disconnected, or actually have fault with the seat belt connector.

Moving forward, I wouldn't start loading up the parts cannon until you can confirm faults with a diagnostic tool like the Durametric that is built to properly diagnose these issues.

Report back!

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 01-26-2024 at 08:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Einsteiger (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 12:19 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 619 Likes on 304 Posts

Great advise especially the holding off on parts purchases, that can really drain the funds on things that are not needed, the ignition switch replacement is a great start I have seen bad ones cause all kinds of codes and issues and it is cheap and definitely a DIY project. Welcome to the 996 family.
Rich
Old 01-26-2024, 12:27 PM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts

The ignition switch is also the same one used on VW and Audi. Part number is 4A0-905-849 and you can find this on Amazon or at the Porsche dealer like this: 4A0-905-849-B Ignition Switch for Boxster 986 911 996 4A0905849B (stoddard.com) or on Pelican etc.

Quick Reply: New Porsche! Whats wrong with it?