Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 11:42 PM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default JIC Magic Cross Coilover Install Help

Folks,
I got a good deal on a set of lightly used JIC Magic Cross Coilovers for my '02 C2, but they did not come with both sway bar links for the fronts. I do have one of them and the difference between stock and the "new" one is about 3" (shorter on the new one). I can't get enough adjustment of the collar that sets ride height on the coilover to get it to sit flush with the wheel carrier when using the stock sway bar links. Can I disregard the coilover mount and just use the pinch bolt on the carrier assuming this keeps stock height? I am not concerned with a lower ride height, just some improvement to the 155K mile original struts. I can post pictures tomorrow if that would be helpful. If I need to get adjustable sway bar links, any recommendations, I am not going to track, just normal street driving. The following picture is currently installed with stock link and coilover mount at lowest possible setting.

Last edited by Justin Browning; 01-18-2024 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Upload photo. Typos.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:53 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Yes u can just use the factory link bolt through the wheel carrier. Another option would be one many of the adjustable swaybar links on the market.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:27 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

So just secure the coil over mount out of the way then?
Old 01-19-2024, 09:03 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Or just remove it.

Are the bodys fully threaded? If so the sway bar link mount may be designed to be the stop for the shock in the upright. If thats the case u should order another nut/ring or u will have to keep the bracket on the shock. Maybe flip it upside down?

My ohlins for example.

Old 01-19-2024, 09:13 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

The body of the coilover is not fully threaded. Attached is a picture.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:34 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Well just verify with jic that the mount is not required to be used as the stop before u remove it.

U may want to search for the length on the gt3 version of the link. I suspect thats what that bracket is designed for.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:50 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 702 Likes on 376 Posts

Without the stop it would have to be placed as far as it could go into the upright which would be the lowest height setting. What is stopping you from using the stock links in their stock positions if you are not lowering the height and you have the oem sway bar?
Old 01-19-2024, 10:55 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking this is the plan and if I don't like it, then go with the adjustable drop links.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:33 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am just unsure if I bypass the JIC mount and only use the pinch portion if that is sufficient. The other option is to try and use the JIC mount with the stock swaybar and then install a pinch bolt in the wheel carrier. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Also, JIC support seems to be non-existant, does anyone have documentation on the JIC Magic Cross Coilovers for the 996C2? Pelican used to sell them, but that is no longer.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:53 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Either way works. No need to over think this.

Option 1:
Leave the mount on the shock and rotate it out of the way to use it as a stop. This will allow u to use the stock sway bar in the stock location as the pinch bolt.

Option 2:
Use the c/o mount and buy adjustable links or possibly gt3 links and replace the sway bar stud with the correct bolt and nut. The bolt is available through Porsche but ithe autoatlanta pet drawings dont show it. I had a dealer look up the gt3 drawing for the front upright and they found the bolt.

Most pefer the 2nd option as it allows u to adjust the upper mount for better geometry and will allow easier use of a gt3 style bar if desired.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:00 PM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used the stock pinch bolt location and removed the crossover bracket. I have ensured the link does not angle forward or backward as to not increase any preload on the sway bar. Currently working on the rears but all appears to be going to plan.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-21-2024, 10:00 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Be carefull that bracket may act as a "stop" to prevent the shock from sliding into the upright. The pinch bolt is not enough to hold it in place as it goes down the road.
The following users liked this post:
allcool (01-21-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 07:37 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’ll keep an eye on it. If there is any issue I can reinstall it.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:36 PM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know you guys were waiting with anticipation, coilovers are installed with adjustable sway bar links up front. I put the JIC collar back on and then used an M12x80 bolt with nut in the pinch location.

Aftet the initial difficulty, it seems to have gone well. Now off to get an alignment and then install new tires.

As always, thanks to you folks on the forum that make DIY ownership possible.

Quick Reply: JIC Magic Cross Coilover Install Help