996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Transmission Mount Tool Rental

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
996love
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

If you have the spare change, I would go ahead and order the mount stops to replace. I think it’s better to replace, only because you can avoid doing the same job twice.

(I removed the transmission mount bracketry three times this year and the teadiousness got old.)
The following users liked this post:
peterp (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 764 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by 996love
Have you considered a polyurethane transmission mount insert by Function First? I used their mildest insert, the orange one, and liked its effect during shifting. There is a very noticeable increase in NVH, so it may be unacceptable to you.

If you get a mount insert, you won’t need to use those mount stops.
Does that mean you don't need the tool either if you are using "inserts". If so, then I'd be interested in finding and OEM-type insert, if such a thing exists.

Originally Posted by 996love
If you have the spare change, I would go ahead and order the mount stops to replace. I think it’s better to replace, only because you can avoid doing the same job twice.

(I removed the transmission mount bracketry three times this year and the teadiousness got old.)
Thanks, then I'll definitely order them. I'm assuming I need 2 per car (Pelican doesn't say ).
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
996love
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Does that mean you don't need the tool either if you are using "inserts". If so, then I'd be interested in finding and OEM-type insert, if such a thing exists.

Thanks, then I'll definitely order them. I'm assuming I need 2 per car (Pelican doesn't say ).

https://www.function-first.com/produ...42746794541209

No, these inserts will fill the voids of your transmission mount, and additionally eliminate your mount stops.

The only scenario where you won’t need the transmission mount replacement tool is if your transmission mount is not torn. The AGA tool is fantastic, it makes the job really easy. Be sure to have some grease or anti-seize handy to ease with mount installation.

I just realized autocross is subject to class rules, and I have no idea if these inserts are in violation. So, it’s probably safer if you don’t install them.

Yes, you’ll need two mount stops for each car.

My apologies for being unclear about all this. Let me know if I need to explain further.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Transmission Mount Tool Rental