Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Correct GT3 Euro Bucket Seatbelt Receptacle Position?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 01:24 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,065 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by hbdunn
What bothers me is that the op only asked about a three point belt and your photo shows the improper way to do that. Porsche made parts available to do it properly so no reason to find another seat. It doesn’t seem to bother you that you are providing them with bad info.
Hahaha. Looks like 6th grade let out early today.
Old 12-05-2023, 05:46 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 586 Posts

read this?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...cket-seat.html

you're welcome
:-)
Old 12-06-2023, 07:32 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtailer
Lately, I have looked at many pictures of GT3 Clubsports/M003 that came with those seats from the factory as part of the M003 option.
On none of them have I seen the receptacle on the inside of the seat. Instead they all looked exactly as in your picture.
Based on the GT3 Clubsport pictures I am sure that's the way Porsche intended it.

Having said that, in my view it results in a less than optimum position of the lap belt as it doesn't run as tight to the hip bone closest to the buckle as on the the other hip, which is what you want for optimum safety in case of a crash.

HTH
I've owned four Mk1 996 GT3's, one of which was a Clubsport, all had bucket seats, I also owned a 996 GT3 RS and a 996 GT2, both of which were fitted with bucket seats from the factory. None of them had the seat belt receptacle "threaded through" the seat shell.
I crashed one of the GT3's heavily into a tree at speed, side on. The seat belt retained me perfectly, (some may say too perfectly, as I fractured a couple of ribs where they impacted on the seat shell).
If the factory don't see fit to thread the receptacle through the seat, and I elect to be a crash test dummy, I call BS on this "theory" mainly perpetuated by folk on here. That's not aimed at you BTW

This was the result of what I estimate to be a 70mph off road excursion (backwards) in the dark :

This is the bulkhead between the engine and the cabin, and it's the other side of the car from the point of impact. Those spot welds have been ripped apart and the bulkhead deformed to the point the engine was trapped between the chassis legs. That should give some idea of the forces involved in such an accident, and why I don't buy into the seat belt receptacle "myth". Had a suffered some kind of injury/trauma to my hips or pelvis, I might concur with this nonsense, but I didn't, so I don't.

The following users liked this post:
GC996 (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 10:13 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
I've owned four Mk1 996 GT3's, one of which was a Clubsport, all had bucket seats, I also owned a 996 GT3 RS and a 996 GT2, both of which were fitted with bucket seats from the factory. None of them had the seat belt receptacle "threaded through" the seat shell.
I crashed one of the GT3's heavily into a tree at speed, side on. The seat belt retained me perfectly, (some may say too perfectly, as I fractured a couple of ribs where they impacted on the seat shell).
If the factory don't see fit to thread the receptacle through the seat, and I elect to be a crash test dummy, I call BS on this "theory" mainly perpetuated by folk on here. That's not aimed at you BTW

This was the result of what I estimate to be a 70mph off road excursion (backwards) in the dark :

This is the bulkhead between the engine and the cabin, and it's the other side of the car from the point of impact. Those spot welds have been ripped apart and the bulkhead deformed to the point the engine was trapped between the chassis legs. That should give some idea of the forces involved in such an accident, and why I don't buy into the seat belt receptacle "myth". Had a suffered some kind of injury/trauma to my hips or pelvis, I might concur with this nonsense, but I didn't, so I don't.

So how was it run? I’m confused now.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:15 AM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

holy moly. glad you are still with us.

I have run my receptacle through and outside the seat. I understand why through the seat would have a benefit but currently keep it outside. I may be a bit thick, as it were, and the belt is relatively close across my hips.

on a side note, not sure why you get to have four gt3s and I don't get one. such is the nature of things.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:40 AM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Hahaha. Looks like 6th grade let out early today.
Glenn, Don't be jerk as he is letting you know your driving things are potentially unsafe.. I would think that has value to you and your life.. Also he is correct about making sure you or anyone doesn't share unsafe info.. Take the feedback and adjust accordingly with correcting it..
brontosaurus (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 11:14 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Justin76
Glenn, Don't be jerk as he is letting you know your driving things are potentially unsafe.. I would think that has value to you and your life.. Also he is correct about making sure you or anyone doesn't share unsafe info.. Take the feedback and adjust accordingly with correcting it..
Unfortunately, he is wrong on this one. But appreciate his efforts.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:59 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 762 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin76
Justin some people will just never back down. The OP asked a question about 3 point belts with GT3 seats. I provided the factory parts diagram showing the correct routing and provided part numbers to accomplish this. The OP thanked me.

I also had an experience with a PCA instructor taking a ride in his car that had 3 and 6 point belts. Since I didn't have posts on my helmet for a hans device he removed the lap belts and routed the receptacles through the holes. This is all the information I have or have found. I'm relatively sure that for a regular sized american either way would be safe. A very small person or a child, you will never convince me that through the hole is not safer.

From a post about this subject.

The following 2 users liked this post by hbdunn:
brontosaurus (12-06-2023), TheChunkNorris (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 01:01 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

A couple of points.

1. No way would i consider feeding the seat belt thru the right hip hole on the street or track. The reason is that in an accident, you want not only protection during the accident, but you also want to be able to get out of the car quickly. Last thing you want is to not be able to get it out of the hole.

2. I applaud the idea of using a 997 part as a potential improvement to a 996 GT3 seat set up. However, you will need a much longer strap than the 997 strap to not only make it comfortable but also to work with a waist belt from a racing harness. If you have both fitting thru the right side hip hole, the seat belt strap will need to be plenty long to fold it out of the way so you can use the harness waist belt. As you can see from the pictures, it's very tight.

3. As been suggested by many of us in this thread, porsche and recarro both have not come up with any suggestions beyond running the oem seat belt over the right side of the 996 GT3 seat and plugging it into the connector. Hence why it's what has historically been done.

But as I said many times, if this is an issue, the 996 GT3 seat owner may have the wrong seat.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:52 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
So how was it run? I’m confused now.
This was my Mk1 Clubsport :

All my other GT cars equipped with factory fitted buckets seats (But NOT 6 point harnesses) had the receptacle outside the shell too. If you want to be properly restrained (ie on trackdays) fit a sub bar, a Tequipment cage (the minimum) and use the factory six point harnesses.

For road use the standard 3 point belt with the receptacle outside the shell is fine, and I say that as someone that's crashed the car at considerable speed, into something very solid. I was 165lbs and 6 feet.

As regards getting out of the car quickly. After the crash I've posted images of, the car started to fill with smoke (or I thought it was) it was actually the powder from the passenger door airbag deploying, I thus thought I needed to get out of the car smartly.
Under those circumstances there was no messing around trying to find the seat belt receptacle and it's release button (which would most likely would have injured me had it been inside the shell) because if my torso was thrown against the seat shell with sufficient force to fracture two ribs, I'm pretty sure my hips/pelvis would have hit the SBR with sufficient force to cause some localised trauma.

It's interesting to note that some of you guys think the SBR being on the outside of the shell is dangerous, yet when a fellow Rennlister decides to do a seat install and uses thinwall aluminium box section to raise a seat up and questionable fabrication skills to form a seat belt attachment bracket, none of you batted an eyelid...

I have no doubt whatsoever that if my seat had been mounted using this set up, and my seatbelt attached to the seat mounting frame with this bracket, the outcome of my accident would have been VERY different indeed.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:53 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

These 997 seats are essentially the same as 996. I would imagine when the parts came out for the 997 they updated the 996 parts diagram.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:48 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Posting more images doesn't make your case any more valid
I've owned a Gen 1 997 GT3 fitted with those seats (it got used hard too) the 997 seats are different, they're far narrower and nothing like as comfortable as the 996 versions.

TheChunkNorris (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 03:47 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Ok i will admit after looking at 996 GT3RS's they came from Porsche routed to the outside. It also seems they changed to the inside with the 997. I still believe this is a safer setup and that's what I was communicating to the OP. We are all entitled to our opinions and I hope the OP will consider everyone's and decide for themselves.

Last edited by hbdunn; 12-06-2023 at 04:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hbdunn:
GC996 (12-06-2023), TheChunkNorris (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 04:08 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by hbdunn
Ok i will admit after looking at 996 GT3RS's they came from Porsche routed to the outside. It also seems they changed to the inside with the 997. I still believe this is a safer setup and that's what I was communicating to the OP. We are all entitled to our opinions and I hope the OP will consider everyone's and decide for themselves.
Im reading along too as I’m adding a bucket as well, good info for all.

Quick Reply: Correct GT3 Euro Bucket Seatbelt Receptacle Position?