Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do you really think of the changes from 996 to 997?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 10:37 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe Bangle can learn something from Porsche. In Bangle's endeavor to reach the sublime, he came up with designs that are ridiculous.
Aptly put!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:49 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I am not impressed with the 997

It has the same RMS plagued engine design as the 996

5 hp more then the 996 - what the f*** is that

I personally like the new head lights but only the head lights. The 996 lights are multi-purpose - I hate the 997 fog and turn signal lights on the front bumper. I am so glad the 996 doesn't have that.

While I think the shape of the 997 is better then the narrow body 996 I think they over did the rear end a bit.

The slimmer tail lights and and engine lid not lining up prevents the red reflector from ever being put on the 997.

I've seen the car many times up close and while driving behind it, it still looks like a 911 so wtf I wouldn't turn it down if I were given one but then I wouldn't get rid of the 996 if I was given one. More then likely trade the 997 in for a used 996 GT3.

I am now thinking of keeping my 996 and waiting to see what the 998 is all about. If I don't like that one then maybe I will lease a Cayman and keep my old 996.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:31 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe Porsche built the 997 for other reasons than how the headlights look!!

The majority of 'I don'tlike the 997' posts complain that the headlights look like the 993 and the back end is fat...

The car is faster, stiffer, handles a bit better...thats evolution
Old 05-20-2005, 07:02 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Freely admitting that I did not read the whole thread - to me it's difficult to say you hate the 997 but love the 996 - the cars just are not THAT different looking.

I like both.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the 996 over the 997 by a wide margin. Having said that, I prefer the Cayman over all 911s. Right now I'm just debating whether to sell my coupé now while it still has another year of warranty, or wait until the Cayman Club Sport is released. Or, maybe get something Japanese.....
Old 05-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Jmac
Advanced

Just got back from the dealer and parked my '04 C4S Cab beside a 997. It's incredible how similar the cars are, but frankly, I really don't get the new front end of the 997 - it is too beatleish..., and those rims should be banished from our planet!

Interestingly, the dealer told me that Porsche has advised them that THERE WILL BE NO 997 "C4S" - at least in terms of what we're used to in a C4S model. (ie: there won't be a 997 based C4 with the turbo wide body and turbo breaks and suspension, and the single continuous break strip across the back - there will only be a Carrera 4 with the larger "S" engine)

Makes me SUPER glad I bought the car I did...
Old 05-21-2005, 12:28 PM
99sixter
7th Gear

Alright, I must weigh in on this subject. From an "architectural eye" point of view I feel that the '99 thru '04 996 was and currently IS the best designed porsche ever produced! Never mind that I just happen to own an '01 cab because I believe that I can be totally unbiased.
First, take a look at those beautiful yet functional flowing headlights on the '99-'01 models. That feature alone is so outstanding that it could easily be mistaken for jewelry at certain angles of approach. Let's face it, not a single line was out of place during this era of design. I saw a '00 carrera cab last week with a GT-3 front nose/Sport Design wheels on it and I had to make a U-turn and take a second look.
Secondly, the interior of said era cars are what I call "ergonomically sleek" and quite frankly represent an excellent cross between 993 rawness and 997 techno sheek. Notice how all the curved lines flow into one another - starting from the dash.
Finally, I currently have 40k miles on my stunning machine and have only had to replace the RMS($700.00), which is a small price to pay for the kind of visceral excitement that I get in return. True sports cars are going to have some issues and the 996 has few in comparison to the much compared 993 which I personally feel looks wonderful "for it's era".
I adore my 996 even after comparing it to other cars that I've owned, including an '00 Boxster(great whail, but no real bite), GT-3(best damned sports car ever if you can survive the thrashing), and Ferrari 348(a real beauty with no brains). My advise to all 996 owners - love your car for what it is - the most beautiful, user friendly, mechanics friendly, studly and architurally correct sports car ever designed and produced by Porsche! No apologies here.
As for the new 997, I was just at a Porsche dealership yesterday and I can say with complete confidence that this car(as it is currently designed) will not stand the test of time from a design sense as the 996 has. Is has some nice areas - like it's degree of slope over the rear bonnet, however the entire front clip has to go! The interior is way out of line for a car that should screem "fast". In a nutshell, Porsche caved in to former 993 affectionados who had their day with a car that was "all that" during their era, but ignored the current taste and desires of its' future buyers who may only remember the 993 as "my father's porsche".
Old 05-21-2005, 01:37 PM
RLandis
Racer

BANGLE?????? The rear end of the 745i is probably the uglies single feature on a lux car I've ever seen!!!! When I got my M5 (01), I went to the EXPERIENCE (driving course that came complimentary w/the car) in SC, and toured the factory where they make the X5. There was a pre-release 745i sitting there, being photographed.....the entire group I was with commented unanimously on how they HATED the look of the car, and how Bangle is a joke.

Quick Reply: What do you really think of the changes from 996 to 997?