Sponsored by:

ABS, PSM, and now CEL.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 03:13 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 217 Posts
Default ABS, PSM, and now CEL.

A few drives ago my car started lighting up the PSM and ABS lights, after driving for .5 mile or so. My odblink showed me the 118 and 117 codes on the screenshot. Today, after the car was warmed up, I got the CEL and the new Po507 error. The car never settles into the 950rpm idle, and on the highway I can feel it hesitate very slightly, through my butt. Clearly the ecu is working overtime and I'm probably running rich... Vacuum leak maybe? Can anyone suggest a good smoke test unit for our cars and point me to their favourite tutorial?
thanks. This car, seriously, it's one thing after another. And it's not like I haven't lavished money and labor on it....grrr
I've got a durametric on the way, just got my shipping confirmation today..

Old 11-02-2023, 03:33 PM
MyFavorite996
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently had a 507 code and it was due to an improperly installed front intake plenum. Obviously a massive air intake leak, running rich with a high idle. The plenums are fiddly as hell, and despite doing it a dozen times over the years, I still managed to mess it up being tired and in a hurry. Have you had any recent work done? If so, I would start there and check that the plenum is sealed.
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 04:36 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,177 Posts

I can't exactly speak to the 996 non-turbo, on the 996 Turbo the ABS/PSM/CEL warning light trifecta usually means the MAF sensor needs to be replaced.
damage98MO (11-02-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 02:26 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
I can't exactly speak to the 996 non-turbo, on the 996 Turbo the ABS/PSM/CEL warning light trifecta usually means the MAF sensor needs to be replaced.
Thanks. To cover all bases I ordered a new OE MAF from Rockauto and a smoke tester. The MAF is factory original, 100k miles it's due for a break.
Old 11-04-2023, 11:57 AM
kincedn9
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I would also make sure it is not a weak battery or alternator. They can sometimes trip up all of it. Happened to me. Quick battery refresh and boom all cleared.

worth a look before diving too deep into ordering laboring through multiple components.
damage98MO (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 02:48 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MyFavorite996
I recently had a 507 code and it was due to an improperly installed front intake plenum. Obviously a massive air intake leak, running rich with a high idle. The plenums are fiddly as hell, and despite doing it a dozen times over the years, I still managed to mess it up being tired and in a hurry. Have you had any recent work done? If so, I would start there and check that the plenum is sealed.
I looked at the intake and everything appears ok. I did have the UAOS installed by my Indy recently, but he's in NC and I'm now in NS Canada... His install like all his work is quality, he's a skilled guy, but maybe something came loose.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:50 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kincedn9
I would also make sure it is not a weak battery or alternator. They can sometimes trip up all of it. Happened to me. Quick battery refresh and boom all cleared.

worth a look before diving too deep into ordering laboring through multiple components.
Good suggestion, thanks. I have a new high quality battery, installed in early 2022, and a new OEM alternator installed at the same time. I keep the battery on a ctek charger when parked. But I'll test the battery and alternator to be sure. Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:04 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Default Another hurdle and some info from Durametric

Still not able to sort this. I received my Durametric but it won't connect to my ECU, I think it's the VRTune. I'm going to flash back to stock.
I Did find this on the Durametric site, specific to 996;
"ABS/PSM triggers fault from DMESome fault codes stored in the DME will trigger a fault in the ABS/PSM system. When the DME is not able to correctly deliver the engine current torque to the PSM system it will trigger an ABS/PSM fault. After correcting the DME fault simply clear the fault codes in the ABS/PSM module."
Does anyone know what would cause a failure like this? What sensor is involved in DME to PSM Communication?
Help appreciated.
Fyi, I ordered that MAF from RockAuto, what, weeks ago now, and the order just says 'processing'. I can't even cancel the order and source the part elsewhere, there is no way to get support or an update from rock Auto. No Web chat, no support email, and no phone support. Be aware ...
Old 11-15-2023, 06:43 PM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 328 Likes on 223 Posts

Not so much a sensor but the CAN-bus communication between the two could be flaky causing this.
The 'current torque' is not measured as such but calculated/estimated in the DME based on available signals like MAF, rpm, injector time, intake temps etc. and then sent to PSM through the CAN(-bus).
In case PSM intervenes to maintain vehicle stability by means of reducing engine torque, it sends a target torque value to the DME which in turn adjusts ignition angle (quick response but limited reductionof torque) or cuts out single injectors for a couple of crank revolutions to achieve this torque target. This requires reliable ignition and injection. Any codes that point to misfiring will at some point (accumulated in a set time frame within 1 ignition-on cycle) lead the DME to set a DTC whereupon PSM considers the DME as no longer reliable enough to achieve torque targets set by the PSM and switches on the according warning lights and is no longer active.
So any detected misfiring or such codes to.lead to the problem your car suffers from.

Is the ABS actually no longer active as in you lock your (front) wheels when you emergency brake?

Last edited by hardtailer; 11-15-2023 at 06:46 PM.
damage98MO (11-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 06:48 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hardtailer
Not so much a sensor but the CAN-bus communication between the two could be flaky causing this.
The 'current torque' is not measured as such but calculated/estimated in the DME based on available signals like MAF, rpm, injector time, intake temps etc. and then sent to PSM through the CAN(-bus).
In case PSM intervenes to maintain vehicle stability by means of reducing engine torque, it sends a target torque value to the DME which in turn adjusts ignition angle (quick response but limited reductionof torque) or cuts out single injectors for a couple of crank revolutions to achieve this torque target. This requires reliable ignition and injection. Any codes that point to misfiring will at some point (accumulated in a set time frame within 1 ignition-on cycle) lead the DME to set a DTC whereupon PSM considers the DME as no longer reliable enough to achieve torque targets set by the PSM and switches on the according warning lights and is no longer active.
So any detected misfiring or such codes to.lead to the problem your car suffers from.
@hardtailer thanks. Tomorrow I'll flash my ECU back to stock, interrogate with the Durametric, and do some simple vacuum leak tests. I think if I remove the oil filter cap, and there's no change in engine note, it points to a vacuum leak. If not, I'll pull the MAF and tape it over, clear the errors and cross my fingers. I did finally hear back from Rockauto and they cancelled the order for me. I'm looking for a good source in Canada for a new one. I miss the ease of shopping in the USA. There's good and bad I suppose. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:18 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
@theprf we have a bingo! I replaced the MAF and started her up today, apr 1, for the first time since November. No more warning lights even after a thorough post hibernation drive. I'm seriously overjoyed that the issue is sorted. Now it's time for a really good bath for the girl. She survived the winter in the garage, the only sign of mice was a slightly chewed cloth bag that I store my brass air pressure sensor in. Every car should have a proper 60 psi gauge in the boot. I use this JACO ElitePro Tire Pressure Gauge - 60 PSI https://a.co/d/30oevnt.

Quick Reply: ABS, PSM, and now CEL.