996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Xenon headlight upgrade. . . anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Xenon headlight upgrade. . . anyone?

Anyone have any issues installing Xenon headlamps to a non-Xenon vehicle? I’ve read somewhere that some have had issues with blowing fuses… I’m attempting this upgrade in the very near future (1-2 months) and I’m wondering if I can get some advise from those with first hand experience.

I read this article but I’m still a little skeptical on the installation. Can anyone take a look and see if this article that I’m looking at has any omissions? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ronic_pg1a.htm
Old 05-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

What year is your 996? Porsche doesn't offer a Xenon upgrade for the post-facelift 996 (2002-) and the wiring harness is different between the standard & Xenon cars so it's not a simple bolt-on change if you just bought the new headlamps. If it's a pre-facelift 996 (1999-2001) it's an easy install but you won't get the self levelling behavior as on the factory installed option.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Default 2001 & 2004

I have a 2001 that I'm currently working on the facelift, therefore I have the new headlamps in-hand right now. So to answer your questions I have the pre-facelift harness with the 2002- headlamps….

I’ve got all the body panels purchased and in the shop….

Old 05-27-2004, 05:01 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Dude I think you're out of luck. You may need a whole new harness.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

I hope not, I've already bought the headlights, fenders, Aero bumper for 2002-2003, and I'd hate to stick with the stock lights. Any help from anyone would be great. I'll even take shop numbers if you know any shop who has performed these conversions. . .

Thanks again,

-Eli
Old 05-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Xenon headlight upgrade. . . anyone?

Originally posted by eli at P
Anyone have any issues installing Xenon headlamps to a non-Xenon vehicle? I’ve read somewhere that some have had issues with blowing fuses… I’m attempting this upgrade in the very near future (1-2 months) and I’m wondering if I can get some advise from those with first hand experience.

I read this article but I’m still a little skeptical on the installation. Can anyone take a look and see if this article that I’m looking at has any omissions? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ronic_pg1a.htm
Litronics - yes. BiXenons - no.
The kit has everything you need except a wire splicer. Takes about an hour to install. If you are blowing fuses then you have a very early car and the fuses need to be changed to a higher rating (as called out in the installation TSB). If you need the Porsche installation instructions PM me.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:30 AM
marvin9082
4th Gear

I performed the upgrade to the litronics for my 99 996 and after all of this the ABS and TC light came on. Any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong??? Thanks, Marvin

Quick Reply: Xenon headlight upgrade. . . anyone?