Sponsored by:

Driver window issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 09:35 AM
buckeye96
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Driver window issue

I recently got my windows tinted and now the driver window is acting a bit strange. It will drop when either interior or exterior handle is pulled, but won't stay down.
I think the installer played with the latch to keep the window up, while he was applying the film. I've looked at the latch and everything seems fine and appears to be working as it should be.

I tried searching but I didn't find anyone having this particular problem. Is it worth just disconnecting the battery to see if everything resets?

thanks

2002 C4S
Old 06-15-2023, 09:38 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeye96
I recently got my windows tinted and now the driver window is acting a bit strange. It will drop when either interior or exterior handle is pulled, but won't stay down.
I think the installer played with the latch to keep the window up, while he was applying the film. I've looked at the latch and everything seems fine and appears to be working as it should be.

I tried searching but I didn't find anyone having this particular problem. Is it worth just disconnecting the battery to see if everything resets?

thanks

2002 C4S
Does it come up after you close the door?
Old 06-15-2023, 09:54 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Here is something I saved from an old RL post. Look at #2, seems to be your issue. Good luck

The following users liked this post:
buckeye96 (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 10:00 AM
buckeye96
Rennlist Member

Yes, I redid my search and found some more info {my fault for searching on my phone) and ran across this from pfbz

Try these tests, see which ones fail:
0) Door open, but latch closed with screwdriver to simulate door being closed. Window should be all the way up.
1) Lightly pull on outer handle (not enough to open latch), window should drop slightly, and return when you let go of the handle.
2) ​​​​​​ Lightly pull on inner handle (not enough to open latch), window should drop slightly, and return when you let go of the handle.
3) Pull completely on outer handle (enough to open latch), window should drop slightly and stay dropped when you let go of the handle.
4) Reset latch to closed with screwdriver. Window should go back up.
5) Pull completely on inner handle (enough to open latch), window should drop slightly and stay dropped when you let go of the handle.
6) Reset latch to closed with screwdriver. Window should go back up.

So 3 and 5 aren't working for me. And when I put the screwdriver in the latch and jiggled it the window went up and down.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:02 AM
buckeye96
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Optionman1
Here is something I saved from an old RL post. Look at #2, seems to be your issue. Good luck

Thanks for this, I think its absolutely #2 now that I've seen this. Bigger question is should I just replace the regulator while I'm in there
Old 06-15-2023, 10:13 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

I'd say yes, fix the regulator while you are in there, especially if this car has not been driven regularly.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:36 AM
buckeye96
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Optionman1
I'd say yes, fix the regulator while you are in there, especially if this car has not been driven regularly.
So advice on which one? Auto Atlanta has 7 ranging from $126 (URO) to $331 (Porsche)
Old 06-15-2023, 11:39 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Did you try to "relearn" the windows? Push the down button, then when the window is down continue to hold (push) the button for 10 seconds. Then push the up button and when the window is up continue to hold the button for 10 seconds. That resets the upper and lower limits.
The following 2 users liked this post by DBJoe996:
buckeye96 (06-15-2023), Optionman1 (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 11:44 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Others will have to comment on which window regulator to use, I defer to my Indy on all such matters.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:42 PM
buckeye96
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Did you try to "relearn" the windows? Push the down button, then when the window is down continue to hold (push) the button for 10 seconds. Then push the up button and when the window is up continue to hold the button for 10 seconds. That resets the upper and lower limits.
Yeah, i did that as well and it appears to be the same issue. I know the tint guy was saying that he was struggling with the driver window, especially when he flipped the latch. I saw that this morning, before i realized what was going on. Window went crazy up and down and the dome light would come on when driving.
I just don't want to pull the string before I have everything mapped that I want/need to do. Nothing annoys me more when I get into a project and I realize that I need to do something else or in addition to, or that I misdiagnosed the problem.

I appreciate all the help, BTW. thanks to everyone.

Quick Reply: Driver window issue